Questions about Hid light heat?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by laybackgrow, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Only have 30" of height in my room, it's 8'long and 3' wide. Underneath a small miniramp halfpipe for skating. I have a mover with LEDs but was wondering if I can get away with using any HPS lamps?

I heard you can get the light closer when using a light mover. Not sure if I want to do the whole water-cooled bulb thing and try to use a 400w, would have the bulb 6" from plant tops.

Is this sounding like the plants would cook?

Remote ballasts cut down of heat but how much? Not that much??

I'm unsure if even a 250 w hps on s mover could get that close?

The reason I'm using LEDs now is cause it's sooooo hot where I live. A/C kicks ass.
    In the winter I plan on using a hid lamp to help keep my plants warm,

Need advice from experienced folks, I have never used a remote ballast
    I had a 150w and 250w hps lamps 18 years ago. Induction may be ok too!?

Thanks

2. 30" is a really short space for HID.

3. That's all I can get away with for now.
    A water cooled 250w?

Otherwise going to be using my 2 180w American made LEDs on a mover for flowering and 120w UFO led for the mothers and cfl for clones, should be ok with this setup, just need to decide on a heater for the winter months.

4. Id stick with LEDs..currently using LEDs now. I had a 400w HPS but had to downsize and my tent is now 2x2x4 way to small for the heat generated by a HID and I did not feel like getting additional cooling.

One of the issues with HID is you want it close but cant have to close because it generates to much heat so you move it up but the further you move it up the less spectrum and light you get on your plants. You constantly play that game with HID lights.

5. Thx for your reply.
    I was just worried they wouldn't be as good as HID's.
    300w of LED on a 3 foot mover should yield decent. Growing Papaya from Nirvana. Will flower the clones a soon as they have roots.

6. How is your yield in that 2x2x4?

7. Its my first grow in it. My previous tent was way to big for my place. For myself I am not to concerned about yield. I grow continuously all year long. I grow a different strain everytime. I have like a whole shelf in my closet with mason jars of varying strains..lol. I would have to smoke all year long to go through my stash.

8. Damn
    That's kinda my goal. Just to save me from having to run around buying shit from people. Maybe get some $ back on my set up, only need like a 1/4 a week. Kind of ran up a debt getting all my equipment.