Question on Watering rockwool and tap water

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by HopefulNovice, Oct 4, 2014.

1. hey folks, 

Im planning on mimicking a rockwool grow on you tube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LziNV3peOU) and I have a few questions. This guy ONLY uses the 3 part GH nutrients, and no Cal-Mag, so he is using tap water I am assuming. Is this correct in assuming ? 

Also, I tested my tap water, and the same tap water run through my brita filter, the results are as follows:

Tap- Ph- 8.0+ PPM- 448
    Brita Tap- ph- 6.6~ PPM- 381. 

Is that even a significant drop? It seems like the brita isn't really as effective as one would think. 

So in conclusion:

1.) Tap water is okay for mixing nutrients into, to water rockwool?
    2.) Should I use my tap water(with the above stats), or my tap water ran through a brita?
    3.) Should I use R.O water, and add cal-mag ? ( I want to follow this guys grow to a tee if possible) .
    4.) ALL plants, soil or hydro, need cal-mag if using R/O water. If using tap you don't need cal-mag. Is this statement true? 

I am a amateur, and appreciate any replies. 

2. Thinking maybe This forum isn't the best place for me. This is my second thread I've posted that has gone unanswered. Not even a " welcome to the forums " . Going to take my questions to rollitup, thanks for the effort though grasscity...I appreciate it nonetheless. 

3. You should be able to water with tap, they also make hard water nutrients, add calmag with RO,distilled etc, i had issues with distillate im now mixing with tap instead of adding?calmag, go over to the hydroponic forum, ive gotten alot of help there

4. Why do you want to follow his grow to a tee? Cutting the ro water works well i here. I use tap water but if its chlorinated let it sit out for at least 24 hrs your #4 statement is true. If hes not using cal/mag amd there green like that hes not usong ro or distilled water. Likely tap water or spring water. Dont waste your time filtering with a brita filter there usless for what you need it for.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1335301-Stanky's-perpetual-garden