question on watering and tips on transplant!!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by peterjoseph88, Feb 16, 2010.

1. #1 peterjoseph88, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
    So when I water one of my plants,I pour the water in and it like goes to the sides of the soil and right down and out the bottom.it doesn't seem to soak in at all..... its is fox farm btw. my plant is usually pleasantly erect but now is droopy. My qusetion is, do I need to flush and if so can it be done with sink water or does it have to be distilled..don't know ppm or ph of sink water. And how can I break up my soil without damaging the roots.

2. No worries bro. It just sounds like your soil is too tightly packed.
    Just rough up the surface, down to about an inch or so. Water bit by bit,
    not all at once. How big is your plant and how big is the pot?
    :smoking:

3. The plants are about 15" and the pot is a one gallon... they have been flowering 10 days if that helps lol

4. Ya, go for it. The roots arent near the surface at this point.
    Remember, the rule of thumb is 1 gallon for every foot of growth.
    Your plant will double, if not triple in size during flower.
    I hope you dont get too rootbound.
    :smoking:

5. Can you pack more soil along the sides? The soil will pull away from the sides when it gets dried out, and you are smart to see that you aren't getting real runoff from water coming out those drainage holes that did not filter through the soil. Water the soil slowly to get it soaked in.

6. thank you for the quick replies... I packed some more soil in and moved around the top layer with a fork about 1/2 inch down and watered slowly..ill see if she perks up when the lights come on... if they are in one gallon pots is watering once daily too much?

I water until it starts to run out of bottom

7. #7 LBH, Feb 16, 2010
    If you are watering every day and the plant is drooping, I guarantee it's overwatered. Both over and under watering, begin with the same signs and symptoms. Overwatering, along with over feeding are the most common beginner mistakes which can easily be avoided by some reading before planting.

You want to wait till the soil is COMPLETELY dry between waterings. COMPLETELY.

Stick your finger(gently) down into the soil about an inch. If there is ANY moisture, wait another day.

Lift the pot when it is watered and when it is not. You will soon be able to tell if it needs water by it's weight.

Your bigger issue is you are very close to being rootbound if not already. Your plant is about to explode with growth, address that.

8. i use 1 gal pots also but only in veg.i grow em to about 17" in the 1 gal pots..throw em in flower than transplant to 3 gal pots.your plant will most likely get root bound in that small of a pot for flower unless you want a real small plant.but if i were you id atleast transplant to a 2 gal pot if 3 gal is to big.

as for watering ive also been reading alot about when to and when not to water.def get a moisture meter and it will take the guess work out.the problem i have with just putting my finger down a couple inches is bc the roots arent at that level..their at the very bottom of the pot so it could be dry up top but still moist where the actual roots are sitting.try to get on a watering cycle of every other day or every few days..you ll get the hang of it just let the plant tell you when it wants water..i wait till my flowering ladies fan leaves wilt just a slight bit..then i hit em up with water to last a few days.overwatering is the biggest killer of house plants..best to not water em enough than to overwater.

9. #9 peterjoseph88, Feb 16, 2010
    Ok I am going to transplant tonight or tomorrow ,I was wondering if I was going to have to...any tips I should know?I'm not asking proceure, just tips or a different method to cause as little shock as possible. All help is appreciated:)