Question on cloning after transplanting

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by drew425, Nov 13, 2012.

1. #1 drew425, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2012
    How long should I wait to clone my plant after transplanting? My plan is to transplant, then clone, then go into flowering when the shock wears off. I just don't want to clone to soon after transplanting since ive heard this is one of the most stressful things for plants. Or maybe I should sex them first? (pretty sure they are going to be female though since they were fem seeds and they look very strong and healthy) I just have to act fast as they are getting pretty big.

Also this will be my first time cloning and I have decided on using a cloning machine. Can anyone recommend a good one with a good success rate at a decent price? Thanks GC

2. #2 baumeister, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2012
    you dont need a cloning machine and you dont need to sex feminized plants. cloning or any other kind of sensible cutting wont stress your plants a lot, but the success rate of the clones may vary depending on the stress level of the mother plant at the time of the cut...
    just use peat pellets, perlite or somethign like that, cut your clones, dip them into some kind of cloning gel or powder, stick them into those peat pellets or perlite, mist them and cover them with a plastic bag or whatever to keep the humidity high. no need for any fancy equipment whatsoever, theres lots of simple ways to clone weed with great success rates (95%+)

3. I hate cloning machines... I have my best success in rockwool cubes.

IME my plants get very little stress from cloning, but they are always very healthy plants, and I don't take more than 15-20% of the plant at a time. I have taken clones right before putting them in to flower, usually because I forgot to do it earlier for a particular strain or they need last minute restructuring. Never had a issue, the sites still put of about 2 feet of new growth in the first 3 weeks of flower.