question fro people who know shit about art

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by BEEJAYJAY420TAP, Mar 10, 2011.

1. ok, so im new to looking for and buying paintings and what not but i have a question.

this painting im in love with is called "cat from the wrong side of the tracks" is a serigraph (whats that mean) that was only made 850 times. and the price ranges from 9k to 15k if you can find one for sale for what i understand isn't even the artist original work??

is there a service or a place i can pay for someone to hand paint an exact replica ?? is this "illegal" does this go against some unwritten code? i don't really care about anything except i love the painting and want it in my house. i cant find anyone selling reproductions which is weird because they do it for other artists..

i am unsure of what to ask, can someone help or point me in the right direction???

thanks gc

2. Having someone make an exact replica of the painting sounds like counterfeiting if the artist chooses to sell it. If it was done for free then it would probably be okay but I doubt they would do it for free considering how much time is put into good art.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Maybe find a poster of it. It was painted by Dr. Seuss, so an original is obviously going to be expensive.

The only other alternative I see is... Art Robbery!!! You'll need a ski mask, gloves, and an exacto knife to cut it out of the frame.

• Like Like x 1

4. nawh dude, cutting it out makes it lose it value, plus defaces art.

STEAL THE WHOLE THING

• Like Like x 1
  5. i found a website that will supposedly make a full size replica hand painted for 181$

how bad could it be? lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. NOT! I've passed groups of artists working in front of the originals at the MET and Louvre to learn from the masters! All the greats did this too! Just don't claim it's THE ORIGINAL!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Actually, there's a happy medium. My college professor was paid $5000 for a life size Creation of Adam! Quite a feat, but doable for her! IF you can find the talent, pay someone.

• Like Like x 1
  8. An exact replica handbags painted is VERY difficult and could cost just as much, if not more, than the original. In my experience though, if an artist were to paint a version of the original, it would not be copyright because that particular artist has their own style and would not be able to exactly replicate the paintings, therefore it would not be illegal. I painted my own version of Jack Skellington and sold it, and was not breaking any infringement laws. I guess it really depends, but if you are that interested in this piece, you can upload a photo of it to numerous sites such as fine art America, and they can print the image onto a canvas for you for a low cost and ship it. I had one of my drawings digitally scanned into a jpeg format, uploaded to the Canvas Factory site, and had it printed on a large canvas. It was a cheaper company, so the color matching wasn't 100% exact to the original, but it still came out pretty well! Screenshot_20160630-052438.jpg