Question for the pros!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Heavystone, Oct 23, 2004.

1. I read somewhere that trichomes are produced by the plant as a response to diferrent environmental threaths such as insects... these people were biologists that managed to get random plants(not cannabis) that wouldn't normally produce trichomes to produce a shit load of them(just like cannabis) when being attacked by different insects!!!

Well my question is: ARE INSECT ATTACKS BENEFICIAL IN TERMS OF TRICHOME PRODUCTION WHEN IT COMES TO CANNABIS??? Do insect attacks increase trichome production in Cannabis, as long as they're kept under control and don't kill the plant? Should we allow a certain degree of insect infestation to improve sinsemilla quality???

2. Well they aren't exactly produced when the plant is under attack rather, it's a natural defence against pest. So when the plant is being attacked by a pest alot of times the stem/leaf/root growth slows and more effort is placed on protecting the plant. This doesn't mean that if you have pest you will grow more tich just that if there are pests around the plant will slow other growth to make sure the plant can protect it's self from the pest. In theory it would help if you could "fool" the plant into thinking it needs to protect it's self more and then removing the threat once it shows signs of growth. Unfortunatly most of us have enough trouble/worries growing on it's own let alone introducing a pest then trying to keep it under control.

Vokal

3. iv seen loads of "facts" about y u get trics. no1 really knows. but attickin ur plant with bugs is just a daft idea.

it IS a proven fact that UV light increases both the amount and streanth of the resin a mj plant makes so if ur lookin for more trics then thats the way to go whatever the reason the plant makes resin for in the 1st place really dont seem to matter.

4. Well, how come you guys are so convinced that bug presence doesn't increase trich production? Have you actually experimented??

You never know, until you try it out... this will probably be an experiment for me to do in the future... I'll take 2 plants of the exact same stabilized strain, and give'em the exact same growing conditions except that one will be under attack while the other not... see what happens..

Anyways, I was just curious if anyone in here had already tried that, or had some random observations regarding this matter, while growing their plants...

5. Why would you do something that could very easily be detrimental to your plant, when clearly, if grown right, they produce plenty of resin... I would not reccomend this as you can't realistically control the bugs, and it could easily get out of control and destroy the plant.. I think Vokal's idea of fooling the plant into thinking it was under attack might be somethign worth trying.. but unleashing bugs on your plants is just asking for trouble...

6. i agree, how would you control the pest once they start breeding in the enviroment you produce? you may have an infestation without actually meaning to have it happen. if you provide the proper enviroment with the right kinds of nutes, i dont see why you should hampered with trich production

7. iv had bugs attack my plants and i cant say i noticed any more resin.

iv also put the rong lamp in by mistake and wonderd y my plants wernt as stinky and greasy as normal so its not like i wudnt notice a increase due to bug stress.

good luck with ur experement and let us know what u think of smokin dead bug bodys in ur bud.

8. Lol...man that would suck so bad...the smell of buring bugs...I'd have to agree with everyone in saying that putting pest into ur grow and thinking you can control them is going to be nearly inpossible, though i'm sure after smoking enough one of us will be able to figure out a way to fool the plant into thinking it is to test the theory... Pass the bong/joint and lets see how it goes.

9. Well I guess bugs trapped in resin would be a good reason why not to do it... Anyways, curiosity is the fuel of all findings... I will definitely let you guys know of the results of my experiment..

I'm curious If I can get a low trichome strain to burst out jungles of these babies... Or maybe I can make an industrial strain to produce thc..

On the other hand I have to disagree on your opinion that you couldn't control pests... as a matter of fact you could control the amount of pests so strictly that if you wanted only 10 whiteflies on your plant, you could have just that. Does Encarsia Formosa ring a bell to you?

Anyways, I want to hear the opinions of people with a lot(as in "a shit load") of experiece... perhaps senior people that have been into cannabis horticulture for decades... I guess I should have put that in the thread title.

Sidious? Man, what do you have to say on this matter? I've been hoping for a reply from you..

10. It would be interesting to see exactly how you would manage to be able to control the Encarsia Formosa to kill all but 10 whiteflies... especially since they only kill the immature whiteflies... and if you're so stubborn to do it that you won't listen to common sense.. what will sid's advice matter? Doubt you'll find the results you're lookin for.. but do report back ;)

11. ^^makes me feel like a bit of a nube with only 13years growing under me belt^^
    i'll come back when i bin doin it long enough for ya. :rolleyes:

12. Well, exactly!, they only kill the immature whiteflies, and the rest depends on when you release the encarsia, and how many realeases it takes, the time between 'em, etc...

And as I said, man, it's not a matter of common sense it's a matter of pure curiosity... but it's ok, all radical ideas are laughed at at first.. until they prove to be valuable...

If scientists were to listen to common sense they would rarely discover anything... if you were a person in the middle ages, would it be common sense to you that the Earth is a sphere??? ;).. you would say: how can it be a sphere when I see it's flat? :)

13. But what do you hope to prove... do you think that it won't be difficult and time consuming to maintain the pest control at best... and even if there is an increase.. do you think it is going to be worth the effort needed to maintain control of the pests? Highly doubtful... but I am interested to hear the results none the less

14. your talking about creating industrial strains and shit lol dude trust me like was told to me keep it simple i tryed to fuck around with ph and ferts and almost lost a crop just learn to grow good first before you start thinking about selling and creating strains and taking over the world :)

and about the middle age thing they didnt know if the earth was round or not so because of a lack of facts, they didnt explore it all yet but im sure many people have had pests and have found no yeild increases even if such a thing did occur too much can go wrong. have you ever had a good infestation? if you did you wouldnt call it that you would call it a party :p im just trying to help ya man i know what its like to have these crazy huge ideas but it sucks when you spend all this time on crazy new idea when you can just grow weed and enjoy it

15. :D No man, I don't want to create industial strains LOL, why the hell would I wanna do that? I was just sayin, maybe I can get an industrial strain to produce THC in an attempt to fend off pests..

I've had some pests on my plants before and I noticed that bugs that were on the leaves around the resinous buds(not on them, so they weren't stuck in resin), were dead or in some kind of deep sleep, probably high as fuck :D... so THC does act as a poison against these f*ckers...

Anyways, don't expect any results any time soon, this is a project for some time in the future as current circumstances don't allow me to get it going... I was just curious if anyone had done a similar experiment, or anything...

Peace!

16. Lol...Well if you decided to keep looking into it or try out some kinda experiment keeps us posted on how it goes!

17. iv been thinkin about this and ur right. i shudnt of been so quick to laff and poke fun even tho i think its a funny idea.

if u do ever try it then good luck to u.

18. Thanks,.. yup, that's how it is, when you smoke the right kind of herb you come up with funny ideas..:smoking: :D

19. Why did you ask the question if you were going to do the test your self. Do the test then talk about it................peace