Question for Motorcycle Riders

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorgishmork, Mar 24, 2009.

1. I recently just had my first experience on a motorcycle and holy shit! It was amazing. I had a smile on for 2 hours and couldn't stop thinking about it. I want to start riding this year and my question would be: does it matter what size bike you get for your first one? I have the means to get most of whats on the market around me and I'm looking for guidance. I'm looking heavily at an 04' R1, there's one near me and from what I've heard it's a really good deal.

I've heard people say that you should get something like a 600 or 750 to start on. Some say that I would get bored of it within weeks and want more. Others say that it's okay to get a liter bike for a first bike as long as I'm responsible with it. I'm just looking for people's opinions and advice.

Thanks for the time.

2. #2 pmb6967, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
    I believe that getting a 600-750 is just kinda the smart thing to do.
    By all means you can go out and get a 1000, but speeds reaching 200mph with no experience....:eek:

Its really up to you, I got a sv650 last year and once I get a real job and pay it off I'm getting something bigger.

In all honesty you would only spend 4% if that of your riding time using all that power.

But the first ride on a bike is just amazing, nice choice on buying a bike.

3. Oh man, a R6 would be perfect for any race head. Then again, any of the bikes out there will do what you want them to, I advise you to look for comfort.

4. #4 Budwisesir, Mar 24, 2009
    I'd say get a 400 you shouldn't jump to the big bikes until you learn how to ride the little ones. Most people end up having a huge medical bill and oxycodones because they think they can ride a big bike.

5. Im gonna go ahead and agree. My brother has a raked and stretched hayabusa with a few modifications on it... Its a straight drag bike now. But its pretty fuckin scary. Ive ridden it a couple times and its not for me to have that big of a bike, I pushed it to 130ish once and decided it was too fast.

But I would agree the 600-750 is a good range for not only beginner riders but also for gas mileage. I also want to try to get my own bike this year if possible, in the same size range. Either that or a truck!

6. Ive been riden all my life and I started on a lil 60..Point being every one starts on the small one...their lighter, easier to handle and ur feet touch the ground quicker which is good trust me haha...

I ride a 250s enduro bike...my feet barly hit the ground so i have to lean to one side when I stop...Im goin fast enough at 80 haha have fun goin 110+

7. as long as you can respect the throttle, CC's should not be a problem...... that being said there is a VERY SMALL percentage of n00b riders who can handle anything above a 750..... even the new 600's and 750's have too much for these fools. No triple digits in town, no wheelies/stoppies in traffic, etc...

right now i have 2 bikes in my stable, a busa and a dual sport.... whatever you do, wear as much gear as you can.... this advice is coming from someone who put that busa into a guardrail at about 65ish and rode home with just a bruise on my hip at point of impact.

lets see... any more room for more cliches? oh yeah, there are 2 kinds of motorcycle riders...... those who have crashed and those that will.

8. if you have little experiece and you get a 1000 you will kill yourself...in a week

9. If you're new to riding i'd advise you to buy somthing with a 400cc engine, a 600/750 is gunna be way to much power for you to handle while you're still getting a feel for riding. When you've gotten used to riding a bike around on the road and you feel you're ready for some more speed, then you should buy a faster bike.

10. You should ask motorcycle ryders if any of them have avoided laying one down.

11. #11 foxracing500r, Mar 24, 2009
    I would recomend the following

92-96 Suzuki Katana/Ninja 600
    07-09 Yamaha R6

The last thing you want to do is jump on a Hayabusa or the K14, you will die, end of conversation. I have been riding since 10, and I love speed, and I love big bikes, but even I wouldnt hop on a Busa expecting to live past a good year. lol.

My personal prefference is this, I plan on getting one once I start my new job as a Coast to Coast truck driver.

1972 Harley Davidson Superglide :D
    [​IMG]

EDIT::: Anony, the thing about bikes, is everyone goes down sometime, its just fact. I would rather go down cruising at 25-30 than 145

12. #12 TooFastTim, Mar 24, 2009
    i am a very seasoned rider both street and off road i had a Honda R1 loved the speed My suggestion get your feet wet on a 600 or 750 It's what i am riding right now and i am pleased with the performance and you can hop a pretty whicked wheel stand with little effort

If you go with the 1000 don't get out there twisting on it, motorcycles have no sympathy for mistakes and for god sakes buy a helmet really just get something you can enjoy and handle

13. Laying a motorcycle is well unavoidable on a long enough time line

14. Only 2 kinds of bikers...those that have gone down, and those that WILL go down. Get something you can handle and be mature about it...ALWAYS wear a helmet AND boots. Nothin bugs me worse than seeing these MORONS riding around in their shorts and flip flops. Then they got their girl on the back in flip flops and a bikini top...you ever see a good case of Road Rash? Not pretty at all...and a case of road rash just means you're lucky to be alive. Best of luck to ya...and remember...Keep the shiny side up, rubber side down...

15. Size of the bike depends on your weight and what style of bike you are going to buy.

I highly suggest that if this is your first bike you should check with your state dmv, most offer free courses where they supply the bike and teach you how to ride properly and how to handle a multitude of situation.

Above all else remember...You will wreck, you will lay the bike down its only a matter of time, it happens to everyone.

16. Biker Boyz!

17. My point exactly ;)

18. If you want a good starter bike, get a Honda Rebel. Cheap, easy to ride and handle, good looking, super reliable, gets 80+ mpg, and is a lot of fun. Once you have mastered that bike you can move on to something else, but you will probably still ride the Rebel often because they are just plain fun. Don't start on a 600 or 750, man. That's too much power for a newbie to handle and you will likely hurt yourself.

19. If you haven't rode many bikes and are new to it i wouldn't recommend getting a big one.
    I found it hard enough getting used to my 1st 50cc bike.
    Start at the bottom and work your way up.

20. Good choice as long as hes not a big dude. I started my wife on an 883 hugger shes 128lbs and never rode before and she handled it fine. You will be ok starting out on a bigger bike as long as you take one of the free courses available. What you dont want is to buy a bike and a month later hate it because its too small and under powered.