Question for believers and non-believers.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Mango733, Apr 5, 2010.

1. #1 Mango733, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2010
    I'd like you to read the rant before the question but it's cool either way... :smoking:..

\t \t I have been thinking and trying to use reason to 'resolve' the conflict of believers vs non-believers. Mostly because of reading this thread tonight. Here is a post for Grasscity about my thought process.

We know we are going to die. And we understand that when something dies... It is dead. So death interests us. People 'explain' death through religion. Other people feel this is wrong. People argue with each other about it. People who are religious' answer seems to be based upon the fact that they have felt gods presence and are loyal to his word. People who are not religious' answer seems to be based upon the fact that those other people don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

Religion exists. Religion is NOT going away any time soon. Religion is NOT the root of... all... evil. Different people have different Religions. People who study all of them extensively seem to find that historical evidence contradicts some or most of their validity.

I do not believe religion in it's quest to 'explain' that death has any validity.

\t \t But I myself have not studied religion as extensively as some other people in this thread have. So here is my question.... Mostly directed at non-believers.

\t \t QUESTION:

What do you think that you, yourself. As you live your every day life. Can do to turn the world around to YOUR model of thinking about death. Whether you are a Christian, Buddhist, or Atheist. How can we help each other understand our own beliefs on the subject? Or does it just not matter at all in the scheme of things?

EDIT: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO ARGUING

2. Nothing.

Everything anyone sees in another is a reflection of their Self. All is of the same Reality.

3. #3 KeeneGreen, Apr 5, 2010

:laughing: No arguing...... :laughing: :laughing:

Well, I put the word out on GC. Spread the news Christ is risen. Just put myself out there as someone who has been changed by Jesus.

Ultimately it is up to each individual to make the choice. I just throw it out there.

4. #4 sleepydan, Apr 5, 2010
    Religion is only an institution of expressive belief. I believe in an ultimate power. That is not a religion. You mention religion in a general consensus of how people believe. Religion is not a belief in itself.

5. We much be accepting of others beliefs no matter what they choose to believe. Crossing the line though, is telling someone that they are wrong. That they are an idiot for believing a certain way, or that they are damned because they do not follow the same path as you.

Acceptance is the answer to beliefs. When you deny someones strongly felt emotions it can bring another emotion to light. Hate. Hate is what brings war, and what brings the world around us down into the depths of despair.

It's not wrong to question the belief itself, but it is wrong to show disdain for it, or to ask questions simply to try to prove YOUR point over their beliefs. We must all try to strive to understand what others feel and think so that acceptance becomes us. We cannot continue to hate Atheists or those with beliefs grounded in strong science because that is their choice. And we cannot continue to hate believers of higher power because like the Atheist their personality and core thoughts are influenced by their beliefs.

Ignorance is what angers us, but that ignorance can also be in our own thoughts. You may think a strong Christian is ignorant because he believes so blindly. But we can be ignorant in our own thoughts because we do not understand his life or what path he chooses to take. Our ego takes hold and we make hateful assumptions about everyone. Including hating with so much vigor, we assume that all Atheists are the same or that all Mormons are the same. We then treat people all the same, instead of knowing them as individuals.

We must learn to be tolerant, and greater we must learn to accept. It only infringes upon you as a person when someone tells you what you think is wrong. Few people see the differences between asking simple questions and infringing on the rights of strong belief. When asked questions, a person should be able to know what they believe and explain why. But just because they can't quote scripture, or can't explain a complex science doesn't disprove of the person. You can still believe in good ideals and theories, without being a wise prophet or a ingenious scientist.

6. we all have a way of expressing the inexpressible.

7. Let skepticism and science surge forth! :p I think people need to question things more often.

8. Well I used to be against religion. But people do need religion and I realize their minds won't change. So if they want to believe they are going to have an afterlife, I'm all for it and will sometimes just play the role and act as I believe, just so it makes them happy.

9. to everyone

it is just energy, everything

so lets do good with it not exploit it badly, i mean power, people all of it

because its a world for us forever so dont let the future down, mainly with leaders who dont tell the truth

10. What people that are religious normally don't ask themselves, is why is your religion right? What if you die, and the Islamic religion is right? Buddhist religion? Thats right, because none of them are right. Why? Because god isn't real. As soon as more people can think with logic, the world will be a better place without any religion.

11. no people should get with this all powerful energy that holds everything together

12. Christ has risen!

Or resin... either way!

13. without quoting anything from Avatar, can you properly defend your belief?

not saying i agree or disagree, but you always post ENERGY=EVERYTHING, yet with no good argument to continue the debate on

(not calling you out or anything, i am just wondering)

14. It just doesnt matter. If one's personal beliefs give them comfort then that is good enough for them. There is no point in trying to make someone else believe what you believe.

15. #16 ete23, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010
    i believe copy paste

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
    the Maker of heaven and earth,
    and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord: Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
    born of the virgin Mary,
    suffered under Pontius Pilate,
    was crucified, dead, and buried;
    He descended into hell.
    The third day He arose again from the dead;
    He ascended into heaven,
    and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
    from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
    I believe in the Holy Ghost;
    the holy catholic church;
    the communion of saints;
    the forgiveness of sins;
    the resurrection of the body;
    and the life everlasting.
    Amen.

get with energy, this all forgiven energy for life in heaven
    since you can't debate this is all just energy, on earth i mean and elsewhere, in our minds our bodies our mindsets. its all so cerebral.

16. #17 Insurgency, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010
    1. debatable
    2. debatable again. Her conception story could just be used to describe an impossible miracle, ultimately showing gods almighty power
    3. Why 3 days? What took so long?
    4. Why was his body taken to heaven? Jesus is God, whats the use of the body? Where would his body go? Does that mean Heaven is a real place where matter exist?
    (no other problems with this prayer, other than that its good)
    5. I am asking you to explain what energy is? Explain this connection with everything, please?

17. It is your question itself that creates most of the evil in the world. No one should be convincing anyone anything. Once the convincing starts, is when crusades, terrorism, suicidal cults, etc. begins. People must believe and let believe.

18. i look at it this way. if you choose a path in life, a belief in God, or whatever it is you decide upon. what harm is it if you are nothing but helpful, loving and giving to others? if this belief includes loving your fellow man, and being kind and helpful to others, what do you lose by living out your life in this manner? you set an example for others to follow, and make things/life better/easier for those around you. some will say that you've "missed out/wasted your life" on the real fun in life. i guess you have to decide what's really important to you. if i have an opportunity to help someone, and it works out well for them, it's a great feeling! much better, and longer lasting than a one night stand with some unknown bimbette from your local brew and screw, imo!

19. As much as religion angers me the world would be a much more vapid, uninteresting place without it IMO.