Question about pH

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by blingaling, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Ok I just set up my first aeroponic system a few days ago. I've grown in soil for many years. The one problem I noticed was that the pH of my solution raised to almost 8.0 in less than 3 days. I use FloraNova grow but only about 1/4 of the strength for the fresh clones. I know the FloraNova has a pH buffer in it so does that fact that I used a small amount have anything to do with that? Any information is greatly appreciated.

2. Buy some ph down...

3. Yep, get a pH down. If you can't get any quick enough use a little vinegar to lower the pH.

4. I'm glad you guys have no faith in a fellow seasoned grower. Of course I used pH down but I was wondering if it's common to have the pH climb like that?

5. I must have misunderstood you then. I've seen pH climb like that. Not quite that much but I've seen big spikes before.

To be fair, you sould have listed *everything* including what if any pH down you are using. Don't expect people to assume all the facts. You are probably correct that because you're using a weakened solution you're not getting proper pH buffering. You'll probably just have to monitor it closely for the moment and adjust as needed.

6. to my knowledge, the 'nova only buffers w/ calmag, so its only going to make it more alkaline if anything, so what you encountered makes sense

i use 'nova bloom in soil (ffof base) and pH stays in a very healthy range

sometimes pH creeps between ferts, but nothing major, and its always cool after a day or so after a feeding

7. When I first started to grow with Nova (plants other then weed) the ph in my hydro system was not stable with Nova. I've also talked to other people who used it in full water gardens with the same results. So its a common effect.