Question about PH strips and PH buffer solution

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by alex3524, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Hi all, I'm having some issues which I think are PH related.

I've calibrated my pen but only with PH 7 buffer and long story short I don't trust the pen so I decided to try the strips and it's an entire point out?? So I used the buffer solution to test the strips and sure enough it shows 7.

My question is this: does this mean my strips are more accurate and is this a decent method of testing the strips?

I don't need exact readings but an entire point out is crazy.

It is now telling me my tap water is down around 7.0 it's never been that low ever...where as the strips ate telling me it's more like 8.0

2. The strip is very accurate and unlike the Pen needs no calibration. My guess is it is not calibrated properly.

Had some issues with PH myself...

Attached Files:

3. My experienced advice cautions you to avoid such crutches

and learn to run 'potential Hydrogen Free' ...lol

as often in gardening Ph tools is just not around ..lol

good luck

4. I'm in soil so not as big an issue but still I can't trust the pen..could I potentially calibrate the pen with strips?

5. Maybe not sure how you would go about it...

6. test the water with the strip, if it says 8.0 and your pen says 7 adjust the pen to read 8.0.

7. Thanks, in did think of doing this and I'm obliged to belive the strips over the pen (too many things to go wrong with a pen) I only use ph 7 buffer never used a cleaning or storage solution so maybe this is why it's so out.

Thanks for the help