question about male plants

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by chronopolis, Jan 25, 2011.

1. im growing some bag seeds to get some experience...i heard male plants pollinate the females through the air. my question is if i keep a male plant in another room for seed purposes, will it still pollinate my females?

2. how else will you get seeds if you dont let a male pollinate a female?
    male plants dont grow seeds only pollen sacks. but you could keep one in a different room and do some self /controlled pollenating but that is advanced.

3. Depends on a lot of factors -- how close the rooms are, airflow between the rooms (including through the HVAC system), people and stuff that go between the rooms, etc.

If you are keeping the male "for seed purposes" then you want it to pollinate your female, but you might want to control that pollination. Note that the males don't make seeds, only pollen (equal to plant sperm) that pollinates (equals impregnates) a female which produces the seeds (babies) with genetics of both the mother and father.

You can harvest the pollen off the male and then selectively pollinate only certain budsites of the female, depending on how many seeds you want. But pollen can float and drift and hitchhike all over the place, so it's possible to get some unintended pollination depending on your situation.

4. be careful dude if u get some on ur cloths u can pollenate ALL your females