Question about lighting...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BonfireBoy, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Hey sorry im sure you get a million of these. Im a first time grower. My plants (northern lights) have grown about 4 inches in 3 weeks, and i was just wondering if i could use a tanning light on them. I was thinking it is simulated sunlight, so it would be just as good... Its just that the light i have on it now is only 15 watts, which isnt powerful enough.
    Thanks again
    -BB

2. You need good light. 4 inches in 3 weeks is not very good. Get a Metal Halide Lamp or High Pressure Sodium Lamp. They will grow much better and faster. They are expensive, but worth it.

3. Ya ive seen them they are really expensive. will the tanning light not work? its uv light isnt it?

4. I'm not sure. I've never heard of anyone using it, so I doubt its any good. For the cheapest lighting that works, go to Home Depot, Lowes, KMart, Wal-Mart, etc and buy 48 inch Fluroescent lamps. Each will hold two 48" fluro tubes. 40 watts each. The bulbs are about $1.50 each and the lamps are about $20.

You will have better yeilds with a HPS setup. It may take a couple of grows, but it will pay for itself after a harvest or 2.

5. Ok great. il have a look on ebay for some sodium lights.
    -BB

6. Yeah, you are better off. I've dumped about $800 into my grow room setup this month. Its a lot to spend, but I smoke about $400 a month in bud. So after 1 or maybe 2 harvests, it will all have paid for itself. Then its free shit from then on! Well, you still have to buy water, ferts, soil, and electricity, but those costs are minimal.