Question about law in Canada?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dr.Ernie, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Hi,
    All right, this might be a stupid question to some of you, but I'm not all that good with laws. Say if I had growing equipment in my room at my parents' house (ballast, reflector, HPS and MH lamps) and that there was nothing written on it that it was used to grow marijuana. Then my parents took it without letting me know and busted the lights and reflector/smashed the ballast. This whole thing cost me around 350-400$. Can I sue them for this? I still have the receipts and everything from the stuff (it was all brand new still in packaging). I mean, there was litterally nothing to prove that this was going to be used for growing marijuana. Also, is there a time limit to file the suit against them?
    I'm just pissed off, the least they could've done was tell me to take it out of their house. Instead they break everything.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

2. Well I don't live in Canada and I will probably be wrong, but it would make sence for you to be able to sue. As long as your not under 18....

3. but are you willing to fuck up ur relationship with ur parents for $350.

Parents are bad, but shit not bad enough to sue for $350

4. We aren't in the best of terms anyway. I've never damaged any of their property, and if I did I'm sure they would've made me pay up.

5. In the U.S. they have a thing called a small claims court, it's where you don't need a lawyer or anything and it's for small claims like what you have. Maybe there's an equivilent Canadian court.

6. That sucks dude, I would break my dads computer if he did that to me.

7. I think so.

8. If that's the case, then make THEM pay up.

and i know its an asshole thing to do, but threaten to do something to their property or steal something of theirs if they dont pay back...they should treat you equal.. AND, you're right, they couldve at least made you take it out of their house or refund the money. Hope everything goes well, peace.

9. Thanks for the support guys and gals! ;)

rollinfatty: I don't really want to damage their property. I know they won't just pay up for what they broke. They're the kind of people that are too hard headed to listen. They learnt that I smoked and then they searched through my room and looked for anything that seemed to relate to weed (wasn't hidden, just in a cardboard box that wasn't even opened from when it first arrived). I want them to pay for what they broke, but I don't think I'll achieve anything by breaking any of their stuff. Besides, I need them to co-sign for my student loan at the end of the year, or I'm screwed.

10. fuck man if my mom did that i would seriously destroy so much of her shit she would regret it with such a passion as to cry for days i coudl care less if its cruel if she was bitch enough to do it then she is gonna oay the conseguenses sue the shit outa emman that aint right and they arnt gonna learn of u dotn do sumthign abotu it otherwise they will keep doin shit liek that brign it to court its not in anyway illegal to own what u had