Question about lack of odor

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by crasstastic, Jan 24, 2013.

1. I know a grower who has high quality harvests but they just don't have strong danky smell after curing. its odd because they're fire buds but its always a smooth almost flavorless smoke.

Would it be an issue that could be resolved by nutrients, or a change in curing method?

2. I had this problem on my first 2 grows. Had me really frustrated.
    But from the 3rd grow on I've been enjoying some dank smelling buds.

It can be due to several factors.

1. Drying/curing - It's really important to dry the plants as slow as possible so that chlorophyll can leave the plant. If the buds dry too quick the chlorophyll kinds of stays in there and leaves a grassy smell. However it's important to avoid over drying. A lot of people are saying dry til branches snap, but to me that's way too late. Depending on humidity and temps, I dry the whole plant upside down for 3 - 5 days. I then manicure the buds, jar them up and stick a hygrometer (check the Caliber III on Amazon) inside. When it shows 67% or more, I paper bag em to slow dry, jar the buds again, check humidity. Once they're stable at 65 - 67% I just burp them. When the humidity inside drops to 60-65% is when they're curing. No need to burp then. To get the buds to the curing zone will take me 1 - 2 weeks after the initial drying phase.

2. Genetics / Phenos - My 2nd grow was Amnesia Lemon. I remembered that they had a dank smell up to the 5th or 6th week of flowering then they just kinda lost it. I read all about correct drying and curing by that time and did exactly that. I thought the cure would take care of it.
    However the buds never got the dank smell, they didn't smell like grass or hay either, just really bland smelling/tasting.

I wasn't sure if any external factors caused the terpene production to stop midway flowering, but since my 3rd grow finally worked out I concluded that it must be the phenos. On my 3rd run I grew Fruity Chronic Juice and Kushberry. I didn't change anything from the Amnesia Lemon grow. The FCJ and KB remained dank smelling until chop, did the drying curing thing and ended up with some very nice smelling buds to smoke.

3. I've seen people post that the lower temps during flowering make the plants smell stronger, my first two grows were in winter and my whole upstairs reeked of bud. Therefore flowering in higher temps would decrease the smell. Anyone elaborate?

4. The most common cause of this is to high temps. Anything over 90F is not good, anything over 100F is bad. That includes hot spots under the light, not just average room temps. If your temps get to high during the grow you still have time to fix the issue and let the plant partially recover its smelly agents. If you cure your bud at to high a temp then its game over, once you loose the smelly agents they are gone, the only way to recover them is while they are growing. Buds grown in to high a temp usually have other issues also, excessive yellowing, weird growth, and extra fluffy.

Other issues can be jaring them for a cure while they are still wet, a day or two isn't bad as sometimes you misjudge and the buds sweat anyway, but if you forget about them for a week or two then they ruin fast.

Moldy buds and excessive humidity will mess up the smell also.

On other thing could just be the strain. I have a NL x haze that just doesn't smell much at all. A good long cure helps but not much.

5. thx, i'll pass that on. I'd imagine he's drying them too fast then before he sets em in jars to cure. I don't think he uses paper bags, I think he just hangs them to dry, manicures, and jars. we're in the southwest so humidity is almost nonexistent.