Question about keeping 'the big weed secret' from parents

Discussion in 'General' started by hhbhagat1417, May 21, 2012.

1. It's gonna be a story question, so you'll have to read the whole shebang to understand the situation...

You see, I'm Indian, so my parents are, you know, strict. I just finished my freshman year in college, and I'm getting a house next year with 4 of my stoner buddies I met while I was in the dorms. I started smoking while I was in college, midway through my first semester. At first, my dorm roomie tried to get me to smoke, and they asked me several times, along with pressure to consume alcohol. I refused all those times, no matter what they said, because I had a negative mindset. I soon got around and said to myself, fuck it, I'll do it. (I still abstained from drinking alcohol because I saw that my friends acted so stupid when they did.) My dad has never given me any kind of chat about drugs or alcohol, and he probably never will, because I was always that "good" child.
    So, the house next year is going to be a stoner house, of course. We're probably gonna have a general toking area. And my father will want to visit sometimes. He asked, since I'm getting a house, how my buddies were (do they do drugs, etc). I told him, of course, that they don't and they are "good" people. (My father couldn't possibly have smoked weed). I have had some conversations before with one of my future housemates about hiding the fact that he smokes from my father. He basically said that he didn't give a shit what my dad thought, and that it was not his problem. The problem is, I don't want my dad to question my judgement in friends, and then raise suspicion about me. My view is that I am older now, and I can make my own decisions, and whoever I associate with is MY business, and he shouldn't care at this point in my life. I'm not sure when or if I am ever going to tell my dad I smoke weed, but it most certainly will not be while I am still in college (he's paying for it).

2. I think you only invite him when your friends are not around......... or if he come suddenly, don't let your dad go to the toking area

3. #3 Walliby, May 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
    There are really only two things you can do in your situation, first off would be to lure your father into a conversation about dorm life etc. Essentially he should know that there will be alcohol and pot abundant perhaps just ask him whats worse. Pot or Alcohol? get his views on the subject perhaps he will actually surprise you. If he is completely against it in all forms then you have to prepare for the day he finds out (you could be like 35 years old when he finally does lol).

Second you could only make edibles and keep a piss cleaner on hand at all times. If you don't smell like pot its hard to say you smoke pot. Also when you get high make sure you are out of the house or at a location that your father can't drop in and talk to you. Changes in your behavior is going to have to be explained by something so its best not to have to explain or think up a reason while high, "Mythical Dancing unicorns in a parallel universe" might be creative but won't win you father points. Also tell your father that your roommates have put in effect a rule for all their parents and you we're asked to phone at least an hour before showing up. As a rule of thumb i'd never answer the phone high and i would leave the house immediately if he phones (could mean hes on his way) phone him back when you sober up.

You are considered a man and you have the right to experience collage the way that suits you best.

Also avoid alcohol i lost 7 years of my life to it, not worth it.

4. just be like " yo i smoke pot, are my grades fucked? didnt think so" and walk away all cool like:cool:

5. Tip1: Dont ever drink alcohol, you'll regret it.
    Tip2: just be smart and aware of what's going on, where your father is etc.
    Best of luck blade

6. Is your father paying for your living situation, if he isn't and you are an independent adult then why hide who you are from him? Trust me I hid my cannabis use from my parents or just didn't talk about it with them for years when I was in college, but one day I just decided that I didn't feel good about having to hide that part of myself from them, especially because they were ok with my brother drinking alcohol and drank themselves.

I was surprised at how accepting they were eventually. My father is still pretty neutral about it and still refers to it as "smoking dope" and thinks of it with more of a negative mindset, but my mother is totally accepting of my choice to smoke weed especially because she doesn't like alcohol that much. It just feels so much better being completely open with my parents and feeling like they accept me for who I am.