Question about Guerilla Growing soil and additives

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Blazay, Dec 18, 2014.

1. This will be my first time growing and I want to make sure I do it right.  I read so much material on the various methods. Something that always seems to be left out is the costs of materials.  I want to get the largest yield possible, of course. I live in the 40th parallel and want to grow both Northern lights and Master Kush strains. I'm starting them off in solo cups, transfering them to 3-4 gallon smart pots then into 3'x 3'x 3' holes.  For a high yielding soil mix... how much would material cost range for 10-15 plants?

2. Your cost could greatly depend, humus source and soil ammendments seem to be the most costly followed by cost of seeds if not using clones IMO.

I would recommend you use a simple mix for your first grow and remember less is usually more, a common mistake first season growers make is overdoing everything which can lead to nutrient lockout and pH swings. A base soil mix I like has 30% organic humus source, 40% soil loosener/moisture retention like sphagnum peat moss or coco coir (or both) and 30% airation which perlite and vermiculite are for. There are other base materials that can be substituted like black leaf mold compost as soil loosener/moisture retention and rice hulls instead of perlite (may be cheaper too).

Here is a good recipe I have used to grow large plants of high quality, this mix might seem Simple but trust me its a very effective mix used many times on a budget.

20% wormcastings
    10% aged/composted chicken manure
    40% sphagnum peat moss
    20% perlite
    10% vermiculite

That's the base mix, to every cubic ft of soil mix (roughly 7 gallons of soil is a cubic ft) add the following...

1 cup alfalfa meal
    1 cup fish meal
    1/2 cup kelp meal
    1/2 cup bone meal or high p bat guano
    1/2 cup crab shell meal
    1/2 cup neem seed cake

Powdered rock minerals/pH buffers
    2 cups glacier rock dust
    1 cup soft rock phosphate
    1/2 cup azomite
    1/2 cup domolite lime
    1/2 cup gypsum
    1/2 greensand
    1/4 cup epsum salt

All these ingredients are not mandatory and can be substituted. I have left some completely out my mix before with good results so don't beat yourself up if u can't find certain products.