Question about God

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Budder81, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Everyone that I've asked has a different answer, so I'll ask you guys.

Was there a purpose to God letting himself be known around 2,007 years ago? Why didn't God pick a time where our technology would of surely acknowledged his 'true' gifts to man?

Who picked B.C./A.D. to represent our time system? So after Jesus died, everyone agreed it was the year 0001?

It's all confusing.

2. 'Anno Domini' dating was first calculated in 525 and began to be adopted in Western Europe during the eighth century. - wikiquote

3. Here check this out, from the University of Minnesota:

When Were the Books of the Bible Written?
    [​IMG] Italian Bible, 13th century

The following timeline is a general layout for the biblical dates of authorship, according to the Christian Study Center. Some are estimations based upon events accounted in the books and cross-referenced with historical records. Obviously the dates are highly debatable.
    B.C.E. Old Testament

• c. 2166 to c. 1876 Job
    • c. 1446 to c. 1406 Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
    • c. 1406 to c. 1050 Joshua, Judges
    • c. 1050 to c. 931 Ruth, Samuel, Psalms, Song of Solomon, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes
    • c. 875 Obadiah, Joel
    • c. 790 Jonah, Amos, Hosea, Isaiah, Micah
    • c. 732 to c. 726 Nahum, Zephaniah
    • c. 640 Jeremiah, Lamentations, Habakkuk, Kings, Daniel, Ezekial
    • c. 586 to c. 538 Haggai, Zechariah
    • c. 458 Chronicles, Ezra, Esther
    • c. 444 Nehemiah, Malachi
    C.E. New Testament

• c. 50 I Thessalonians, II Thessalonians,
    • c. 53 Galatians
    • c. 55 Romans, I Corinthians,
    • c. 57 II Corinthians, James (40 - 60 A.D.)
    • c. 60 Mark, Luke, John, Colossians, Ephesians, Philippians, Philemon
    • c. 62 I Timothy, II Timothy, Acts, Titus,
    • c. 64 I Peter
    • c. 66 II Peter
    • c. 68 to 80 Hebrews
    • c. 90 I John, II John, III John, Jude
    • c. 95 Revelation
    Job was written first? weird.

4. There is no answer...it's anyone's guess. Suppose 'God' is too busy with other things and creations to even contemplate our little planet anymore. What if humanity as we know it all could happen in the blink of Gods eye? I like to think God has chosen not to interfere with human life all together because if God solves all our problems we would end up becoming to dependant on Gods assistance. And If God only offers limited involvement then the people who haven't received help would feel unprivileged. And people would end up questioning the intentions of God curse 'his' name and wonder the point of worshiping an individual that does not care about them and other misleading nonsense...

5. Thats exactly why I think religion is bunk. It just seems to be the rational of the people during that time period. Every person, no matter what time period they live, always ask themselves how they got there. And depending on the information that person has gathered throughout their life...they'll come up with some sort of "logical" explination.

logic then was magic and mystics.

logic now is technology and evolution. for most anyway.

and in a 1000 years, im sure we'll have another " pretty good idea" of how we got here.....

God showed himself then, and not now, in my eyes, because it was easier to convince people then of a magical god. And easier to except. I mean, they didnt know how the universe worked back then, they didnt even know how the world worked back then...so how could they come up with any better of an answer than magic?

6. If God is a Proton, then Satan is an Electron! Then what am I but a tiny neutron, willing to take charge, yet helpless in the middle of the eternal battle of polarity! Bombarded with the neutrino philosophies handed down through the eons, My Ions reformed into orthodox proteins, which gave rise to the first pentacostal fish to walk upon the land...eventually doing a cross pollination with a primate...which led to the republican takeover of free thinking, and caused us to mutate into the spaced out intellects we are. Long live the Free Thinkers of Earth!

Damn, that was a good bong...:smoking:

7. Hahaha that was good, did you come up with that yourself?

8. Absolutely original as far as I know, but let's just call it copyrighted starting....NOW!

9. i have to say i believe in god. god didnt let himself be known only 2,007 years ago but also when he talked to moses and stuff like that. yes, i think that it is a proven fact that jesus and muhammad and moses were actually true figures in society. its the debatable question if they were holy people who god really talked to or someone who was the son of god.

10. I would like to see this 'true' fact.

Anways, I think whoever created te bible, didn't plan on his trickery lasting 2,000 years. The bible was created very well, fooling millions for over 2,000 years, and probally for while too.

11. Blessed is he who believes without seeing?

I mean honestly, even if you don't believe it it's still a good read, if its real yadda yadda salvation and if its all a story we made up one afternoon it has to be the greatest piece of art in the history of mankind. (all religion, not just Christianity.)

12. Just to clarify:
    BC and AD dont stand for Before christ and After death. That leaves thirty-some years where there no date.
    AD as pointed out is latin for Year of the lord. So its the year Jesus was born

And BC and AD are being replaced with BCE and ACE, Before Common Era and After Common Era, which happen to be the same time as BC/AD

13. Really? With how Fed up the world is it would seem a logical place to start to me. Let us keep in mind of course that they were oral traditions long before they were written down. They didn't have all this fancy book learnin' back then.

14. I think God manifested himself 2,000 years ago because his gig was up and people started to know too much. "Uh fuck! They're asking too many questions. Fuck it! *CLEARS THROAT* Do as I say and I won't sentence you to a lifetime of suffering, bitches!" Nah I don't know it's a good question, though.

15. [​IMG]

(Don't get angry at me if you find that picture and text offensive. The picture is from a christian movie made by a christian director. It might be bloody, but this is an 18+ forum. As for the text, well, according to christianity nothing in it is wrong.)

16. That makes christianity sound so much cooler than it really is.

But as a Romero fan, I can tell you that Jesus was the worst zombie ever. Worse than the "Children of the Living Dead"

17. Ha that was really good.
    And that christianity thing was fucking funny, rasta man hears zombie and he's like about to convert. Ha ha ha

18. Probably more like 1974 years ago (or 2074 if you believe some early Christians). AD stands for "In The Year of Our Lord" not "After Death". lol, but I guess I am simply nitpicking.

That is not Biblically supported. Seriously, do you accept the Bible or only the parts that make you comfortable? If it is the latter, than you are not a Christian.

Uh, there is no historical proof for Jesus, nor have I seen any evidence to prove Moses either. The only thing we have to go by is the Bible, and considering the historical inaccuracy of most of its claims, it is hard to take it at face value.

I would not say it is the greatest piece of art ever. You'd think people could write it without contradicting everything. I will however, agree that is it a good story.

Exactly! You try and keep a story true generation after generation, it will not be possible. The fact that it was not put to word as it happened is a good enough reason to cast doubt upon it, the fact that it contradicts itself is even more reason to cast doubt upon it. There is probably more accuracy and continuity in ancient Norse/Greek/Roman/Babylonian/Egyptian mythology than there is in the Bible.

19. Annoe Domini

I dont know how to spell that, but yeah thats what ad means