Question about fluorescent bulbs

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Fatmat19, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Hi I’m a intermediate grower I’d say, getting back into it since recent legalization in my state. I used to have a MH/HPS ballast but now with my budget I’m set to use 3-2 bulb t8 ballasts I already have for veg and flowering. I will be using two different sets of bulbs for each cycle.
    I can find grow bulbs easy enough for each stage 2600k/5700k respectively. My question, is it better to use bulbs designated as grow lights, or is it the just as good to use commercial bulbs within the acceptable spectrum say 3000k/6000k?
    My issue with the grow lights is that they are rated with less lumen output per bulb. It’s not a big issue as I plan to grow 3 plants max and have the ballasts hanging in a tent or teepee shape around the plants and adjustable to get as close to the plants as possible, so I won’t be losing much if any light. I would still like to get as many lumens as possible with this setup.

2. Imo grow lights are better. They are designed to have a certain spectrum and to have better light penetration than standard CFL or T5’s. Fluorescents are good for veg, but do not deliver the intensity needed in flower. Can you grow with them? Sure you can. I’ve seen people do it. But yield and quality will suffer

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I appreciate your input and agree I could have better lighting. I’ve successfully grown 1-2 plants under a single 600watt hps bulb that wasn’t the best quality but still good none the less.
    I’m really curious how this will play out considering how much light I was losing with a single bulb probably 3 feet away from most of the leaves, compared to fluorescent mere inches away covering all sides more or less.
    I’m hoping my new setup will be better than my last since most all lumens are being absorbed at full strength rather than my initial setup from above.

4. Lot's of used stuff for sale cheap, and the new digital ballasts are afforable. Throw a $50 reflector at it, and you are in business for flower. I'm not even a good grower, but i know i would be dissapointed after 4 months of growing, to not have something resembling top shelf nugs. just an opinion, everyone's got one ;)

Best of luck whatever you do!

5. The problem is my wife’s not supportive at all. I’m a pretty casual smoker 1-2 hits a day at most, usually one hit a week/midnight toker. Plus I have to stay clean for my job. I’ve literally been smoking on probably less than a quarter for the last year. I used to go through an oz a month at least before the family life, no problems adapting or cutting back unlike cigs but weed is so bad it should be illegal lol.
    Anyway I can’t buy it legally for another year or two and can’t spend money on growing, So this is my only option at this point.
    I grew up smoking brown shit that tasted like if was imported in hay bales, I’m pretty sure I can get by like this until something changes.

6. devil is always in the deets. stay righteous.

7. you really should get a better flower light. You will be really disappointed after investing 3 months into growing a fluffy, airy half ounce. I understand budget and all but I wouldn’t even bother growing without a decent flower light. Your 600 HPS was 1000 times better than flowering with a fluorescent.

The ONLY chance you may have is a tiny scrog, keeping your screen and buds right under the light