Question about fan leaves.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 5_Assed_Monkey, Dec 30, 2016.

1. I'm an over trimmer I think, during all cycles I have it in my head that all these big fan leaves are blocking the light down under, so I read and what I do now is trim the ends of the leaves and that helps. I tie all my plants over, it's simple and works.veg 2 months , bloom 2+. Is it better to leave the fan leaves on? Give me the 411. I hate to sound stupid, but in new indoor, outside I didn't have to do any of this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. OK most like to remove some during vegging or clip back to get more light to growth nodes.... But in flowering you need to leave them and maybe just nip a individual leaflet in some spots to let light hit bud tops.... But the fan leaves will yellow off and die during flowering.... The yellow off process is key to flavor and color.... The plant pulls sugars out the leaf thus killing it and in return it uses it to help with taste smell and colors....I would definitely leave in flower mode not worth the two grams you may get extra in all... Good luck BUDdy

• Like Like x 2
  3. Umm i leave most of them.. i trim some as i am tying down branches and trying to get new tops to reach upward(if that makes sense). But once i have my main tops identified and reaching upward i dont trim anymore leaves. I trim the bullshit branches and leaves beneath what I would consider my canopy.

Hope that helps a little

4. Ok I'm same as you over trimmer but this grow I've learned from my mistakes. The more leaves the higher capability to uptake light into energy for plants (photosynthesis) So if you want to grow on the fastest scale leave the leaves

Gotham

5. here's what i've learned. if you don't know what your doing trimming/pruning them, and you can't afford to waste the plant, leave it alone. I usually only cut ones that interfere with my work, like lower branches that won't really do anything. Occasionally i'll cut a few of the bigger fans off, but only a few at a time, and with a brand new sterilized blade every time.

6. having a few large older fan leaves is less efficient than having a lot of small leaves. it really depends on genetics.