question about drying buds

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by 4U2NV, Mar 12, 2017.

1. so 3 days into dying and my buds stink like heaven when i squeeze them and they leave my fingers sticky they are not dry yet but are getting there and will probably continue to dry them for another 3 or 4 days before i debone and jar them but right now the buds are not smelling if i just pick them up from the stem and smell the bud, i have read loads on drying and my temps where always 66 to 68f humidity is high 50's i am only running the extractor fan so air is moving but no air is hitting the buds directly.

i move the buds around the drying box to hang in different parts like once a day so they dry uniformed aswell

my grow was an auto bubblegum and from seed to harvest was 61 days the loupe i used wasn't great but from what i could see the trichs were more cloudy than white and the stickyness of the buds and dense made me believe she was ready feel i probably could have gone longer but live and learn

can someone please give me some advicee firstly is this normal? i remember a long time ago when growing they got this lack of smell during drying and it came back but as i said it was a long time ago and i could be wrong

the other questions i have are was she mature enough? will the smell come back ? will it taste nice ?

i realise "will it taste nice" is hard to answer but if she was mature enough i will know if it dosen't taste nice it is the strain

feedback would be great on this guys thanks DSC00402 (2).jpg

this is just cut

2. i realise now that this has posted in grow journals by mistake lol oh well atleast the right people will see it hahaha

3. #3 parra10, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Buds lose their smell during the drying process, and it usually comes back to a certain degree during curing. Basically the outside of the bud loses moisture and smell, then you jar them and they "sweat" out the rest of the moisture inside the buds which typically allows the smell to come back.

This is not ALWAYS the case however, over-drying or drying too quickly can cause the smell from not returning. Some strains lose their smell altogether but it doesn't mean potency is lost. Since you said you're already 3 days into drying and they still have some moisture in the buds, I think you'll be fine. I also don't recommend using humidipaks until at least a month of curing in jars as they control humidity/moisture/smell.

I like to move them into mason jars before they feel crunchy and keep a keen eye on them for the first 24-48 hours. You are looking for moisture on the glass of the jars or buds clumping together too much, those are signs that they need to be opened up and dumped into a shoebox for another day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. some of the smaller buds are going slightly crispy you reckon i should jar them and leave the bigger buds to dry on ?

5. You can, it's a personal preference. A lot of my small stuff after drying becomes eventual concentrates or shake. You can pick the smaller buds and jar them earlier, but I hate separating my harvest into sections, it creates a lot of extra work. Some of the main colas (top buds) will release moisture for the smaller ones to re-absorb while being jarred during the cure. Take a couple pictures of the harvest and how it's drying. There are so many variations and techniques that can be applied.

The best piece of advice I can give another grower is to have a mindset on how you want your product to come out before you start growing. You can control how the buds are finished a great deal by the cure/dry process. Anyone can turn a light bulb on and water a plant every few days, but if you know exactly what you want, you have a lot of options.

6. Hey it can take between min 5 days to 12 days depending on your temps of the space you drying in. Your better off waiting to all buds are dry & crispy to touch. Do a snap test on the stems of your bud, if the snap like a twig it usually means they are good to jar up and cure.

Don't worry about losing smell, that will come back once you start to cure. Ideally if you can storage you bud in glass mason jars, you get a much better cure from glass jars over plastic containers.