Question about auto flowering

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dlpjr, Jan 29, 2013.

1. I am not growings autos just wondering about a few thing...
    1. Can a bagseed be a auto.
    2. Will an auto flowering plant flower under a mh bulb, or do growers of these plants use hps for the whole grow.
    3. How long will it take to auto flower indoors.
    I don't know a thing about these plants. Will that said, my thinking of an auto flowering plant would be that it would veg for a genetically predetermined time say 4 weeks then automatically start flowering. I just don't understand if your using 6800k lamps on a 18/6 cycle these plants will flower. Is this way off base.

2. [quote name='"dlpjr"']I am not growings autos just wondering about a few thing...
    1. Can a bagseed be a auto.
    2. Will an auto flowering plant flower under a mh bulb, or do growers of these plants use hps for the whole grow.
    3. How long will it take to auto flower indoors.
    I don't know a thing about these plants. Will that said, my thinking of an auto flowering plant would be that it would veg for a genetically predetermined time say 4 weeks then automatically start flowering. I just don't understand if your using 6800k lamps on a 18/6 cycle these plants will flower. Is this way off base.[/quote]

1)Possible but unlikely
    2) yes it will flower under mh. Most will use mh for veg and switch to hps for flower, or use hps all the way through.
    3) How long it takes depends on the auto strain. You are correct in that they veg for a predetermined time, then automaticly flower. They will do so regardless of light cycle. Mh color ranges will grow buds, but lower color range bulbs like hps are better for flower.

3. Thanks joker... I guess my real question is what advantage do these plant offer. I can automatically flower my plants anytime i want just by switching my lights to 12/12. Or are these plants better suited for out door use for an early harvest.

4. #4 Doc-J, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    [quote name='"dlpjr"']Thanks joker... I guess my real question is what advantage do these plant offer. I can automatically flower my plants anytime i want just by switching my lights to 12/12. Or are these plants better suited for out door use for an early harvest.[/quote]

They really don't have a lot of what I would call advantages. They are just different, but can work well to fit certain grows.

Some autos will finish faster than most photo strains. Yes you can flip to 12/12 whenever you want with a photo. However, it takes a couple of weeks before the plant is mature enough to begin flowering. Until then your plant is vegging regardless of light cycle. With most photos taking 8 to 12 weeks for flower alone they can take slightly longer than autos that can finish in 65 to 70 days. There are fast yielding photo strains and slow yielding auto strains. At some point I think it is a wash regardless.

Photos will typicly yield better. However, often they require longer total grow times which negates some of the lower yield of autos. If you comparing two plants and one takes 86 days and the other takes 65 then of coarse you should get higher yield. With autos now that can yield 2 to 3 oz in 65 to 70 days from sprout they may not compete head to head in all scenarios but they are worth growing if you want to try them in my opinion.

Autos take a bad wrap on quality. I have heard this was due to a lot of shitty genetics in their beginning. The better breeders now have autos that will rival photo strains in terms of potency and taste. By the numbers autos may have lower potency on average but most smokers would not know the difference if it was in a joint.

The only thing you can do with autos that you can not do with photo strains is run a one room perpetual grow. Since they maintain the same light cycle from seed to finish there is no need to have seperate veg and flower areas. The downside to this is that you can't clone autos so a perpetual grow would have to be from seed.

Outside autos will either allow mutliple harvest per season or may be well suited to areas like you mention that have very short grow seasons.

If you get some of the more recomended strains you should yield more than enough to cover seed cost as long as the grow is decent. They are worth trying, if anything to see for yourself.

5. There is the answer i was look for..I was thinking you could have these plants growing 14 days apart, just enough time to let your clones take hold. Having them growing in the same room and never run out of weed. But you say you can't clone them. Sounds more like a breeders choice plant keeping you buying there seeds. So what happens when you clone them, you would still get a female plant right.

I thank you for your insightful answers, very refreshing to get an educated answer once in awhile. Rep to you my friend..

6. I am using autos because I'm new to growing and they are great from book to actual growing. Will switch to photos. The autos still have 18-25% thc so they are as strong as photos the yield I get is about an O a plant.

7. How much are the seeds? I guess what i am asking is it worth it. Seed cost, electric, nutes, etc for 280 dollars worth of weed. I generally get between 4-6 oz from each of my plants and as high as 7.

8. #8 Infamous Smoke, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
    [quote name='"dlpjr"']

How much are the seeds? I guess what i am asking is it worth it. Seed cost, electric, nutes, etc for 280 dollars worth of weed. I generally get between 4-6 oz from each of my plants and as high as 7.[/quote]

I've just got a 150w yield depends on watts soil veg time nuts conditions. I could yield a qp a plant if I vegged and trained. What I'm saying is yeild depends on a lot with photos.

The seeds are about $7-10 i don't need more than an o because it's just for me

9. No you can't clone autos mate. Taking a cutting will stress the main plant an the cutting out at best, an would continue to grow at the same stage as mum.. Autos depending on strain an how well you can keep your room conditions can yield up to 3 oz a plant.. Oh and they like to go seed straight in to there final pot, a large one of 3,5, or 7 gallons but most use 5 gal..

10. Ya that makes sense about the clones being the same age of the mother. Thanks for the info.