QB Kit differences: Timber 240w vs. HLG 260w (2x QB288’s)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Growingpain5, Apr 14, 2018.

1. #1 Growingpain5, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Decided to spring for a QB setup in a 36”x20”x62” tent but comparing the offerings from Timber (240 Watt Quantum Board Grow Light Kit) and HLG (Horticulture Lighting Group 260 Watt Quantum Board LED Kit) has me a little confused.

Both kits use 288 boards and have dimmable MeanWell drivers. What’s the difference between the two kits that pushes HGL to 260w over Timber’s 240w and does it make a difference?

Are there features either company offers that give it the edge over the other?

Timber uses an aluminum heat sync where HLG uses slate - is one more efficient than the other? What are the advantages/disadvantages between the two materials?

What are your thoughts on these two specific kits for this odd space? Would I be better off running 2-4 QB120's instead?

@Tbone Shuffle Your input would be wildly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. growers lights give you the option of 288 or 304 and the drivers maxed out give you 260 watts as timber is giving the rated driver wattage instead of max like growers lights does

personally for 350us it's a bit of a rip when sourced I bet you could do it for 175-200us

3. I’m curious as to what you went with. I’m also trying to decide on quantum boards for the same size tent as you. Originally looked at timber cob lights but the QB’s seem to be the way to go. Haven’t been able to find much talk about the Samsung hlg 240watt that Timber lights sells but it seems like a good setup, already wired up and ready to hang.