Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

PVC tubing

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by hawkcg, Mar 5, 2009.

1. #1 hawkcg, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009
    alright i want to know for sure so i thought i should ask the "seasoned tokers" about this.

Is does smoke grab toxins from the PVC tubing (Or any plastic substance tubing) as it passes by. for example if you use the tubing to connect chambers/pieces is it bad to have the smoke pass by it.

I have heard that its safe and have heard that its bad.

REMEMBER:

No open flame/heat will touch the tubing since its only acting as a connecting route for the smoke. Just the heat of the smoke will touch the tubing.

Such tubing as the whips for vapes.
    Computer coolant systems (water cooling via tubing)
    Aquarium tubing

I may edit this and add more stuff as i remember them.

2. I'm not a chemist but I'm smart enough not to fuck with that I wouldn't do it, just buy a cheap piece.

3. #3 Rkmaho, Mar 5, 2009
    Just get a plastic tube, make sure both end are cut off, melt a hole/put a bowl towards one end of it, like an inch away depending on size, and tada, homemade steamroller. But yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not bad for you, only if the flame gets the plastic, or the bowlhead gets too hot and starts melting it, I've used PVC tubing before to make pieces and have never had a problem with it either.

4. why not just use bamboo or something that wont possible kill you if ignited and inhaled...

jeez, if you smoke more than one bowl in a row in a pvc steamroller, your bound to over heat it and cause some of it to melt....its not worth taking the chance to me, but then again i value my lungs...

5. that has nothing to do with what i am talking about, i use a glass downstem in a glass bottle with a glass bowl piece, what i am talking about is the only heat that really gets to the tubing would be room temp from air surrounding it and the temp of the smoke that passes through it

PS to have an idea of what im talking about is that the whips from vapes are closer to heat than the tubing i am using

6. i see, so like an extention piece, off of the glass bottle....i guess that would work.

7. My dad is a plumber and if i remember correctly pvc is used mostly for cold water and cpvc is for hot water. I have no idea about how they would react to smoke but they both have a strong plastic smell to them. I would guess for what your using it for pvc would work and would be safe. I don't think it would get even close to hot enough to release any harmful vapors but i also can't prove that.

8. how about asking the guy whos thread you linked??? he has first hand experience...:cool:

9. #10 hawkcg, Mar 5, 2009
    umm? lol? look at the guy who posted that homemade? sorry i couldn't help myself, this is why i am asking...

the reason why i am assuming that; given you dont apply direct heat or enough heat to give off toxins, it is safe to smoke from.

is because like said before, it is like the tubing that you use for the whip of the vaporizer.

10. :laughing:

lol, oh...:D:smoke: :bolt:

i have a vape, with similar plastic food grade whips, and they dont smell or taste bad at all. you should be cool....but those are not food grade, right?

11. its for an aquarium, it says on the box "for water and air circulation". things should just say "OK to smoke from" because everybody knows some1 somewhere will smoke out of it sometime or another

12. why would you bump this? pvc is poison when heated or burned dont do it.......

13. ive made many bongs out of plastic bottles and have one currently with a 11 finger perc made out of this aquarium tubing. i have had no side effects as a result of the plastic. i think you will be ok as long as you dont touch flame to the plastic

14. the stuff you used to make your bongs though are not pvc

15. DO NOT use PVC. It releases phthalates and dioxins when heated. Both of which are not good. There's a different type of pipe to use, I think its polypropylene but I'm not entirely sure.

16. never said it was. i was just sayin that ive used the aquarium tubing that the op hinted towards.

17. why do people respond to this with unthoughtful answers, they do not even read the question that is being asked. if you do not want to put forth the effort to read the question, please do not put forth the effort to answer the assumed.

lets restart this on... how hot does smoke get after it passes through water? does anybody know that and if so is it hot enough to release any harmful toxins inside any tubing.

second, does tubing, in general, have toxins already inside the tubing prior to heating it, allowing toxins to be inhaled w/o the need for heat?

If it does, is there a way to clean the toxins out? i have heard acetone will.

Are there any tubing that would be safe to use?

Please do not answer this with "DO NOT USE PVC IT IS HARMFUL WHEN YOU HEAT IT." you are just being ignorant and annoying since i have already stated the fact that the tubing is to far away from any ignition source to heat up at all.

--unless the smoke itself is hot enough to release toxins, in that case i am sorry--

18. #20 M1ke06, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009

lol i hope you use it and it gets too hot and it makes some gas and you cough like fuck