Purple stems

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Bigtomz, Aug 28, 2012.

1. So I have two potted healthy looking plants about three weeks into flower. The stems are almost all purple and the plants look healthy and thriving. Is this a sign of stress or temp changes or nutrient def.?

2. My rule of thumb is if the leaves look healthy then the plant is healthy. I don't worry about purpling on the stems because it's usually just genetic.

3. I'd say genetics and cold combination. I've gotten a bit of stem purpling also on higher up fan leaves from a week before flowering to 2 weeks into flowering. I'm no longer getting purple stems but the steams already purple aren't changing back ( on week 4). Plant's healthy as can be, not one non-vibrant leaf or bud. It's not a purple strain (bluedream) but it also may be a cross of blue dream with something purple in it. Any ways it also drops to ~55 degrees F at night so it's a combo of the factors. I'd put my money it's the same thing for you.

4. I had solid purple stems that I was able to reverse. I have also been able to remove purple streaks in main stems as well.

Solid purple main stems plant was not healthy looking. The purple streak in the main stems plant was healthy.

I have notice it starts with streaks then goes solid purple.

I am talking main stems and not upper leafs and leaf stems.

5. My sour crush genetically has reddish purple stems one of the easiest ways I could tell it apart in early stages it would always exhibit this trait.

6. I just noticed some purple stems on mine, I bet it's because we had some lows in the 50's though.

7. Mine are purple but extremely healthy looking.. low temps I'm guessing or P deficiency.

8. See I was thinking P def too but leaves and rest of plant not showing signs so maybe she is just a lil puple to her. It's a sativa plant unlike what I've ever seen. Literally all the stems, new growth down to main branches have a red/dark purple coloring, it looks pretty cool.

9. yes it's the low temps my buds are turning purple too, it started as soon as the temps hit the low 60s at night and my stems

10. Yellowing of Younger leaves............. Fe, Mn.
    Yellowing of Middle leaves................ Mo.
    Yellowing of Older leaves................. N, K, Mg, Zn.
    Yellowing Between veins................. Mg, Mn.
    Old leaves drop................................ N.
    Leaf Curl Over.................................. Mg.
    Leaf Curl Under................................ K, Cu, Over Fert.
    Leaf tips burn, Younger leaves........ B.
    Leaf tips burn, Older leaves............. N, Zn.
    Young leaves wrinkle and curl.......... K, Zn, B, Mo.
    Dead areas in the leaves................. K, Mg, Fe, Zn, Mn.
    Leaf growth stunted........................ N, P.
    Dark green/purplish leaves and stems......... P.
    Pale green leaf color..................................... N, Mo.
    Leaf Spotting.......................................... ...... Zn.
    Spindly........................................... ............... N.
    Soft stems............................................. ....... N, K.
    Hard/brittle stems........................................ P, K.
    Growing tips die........................................... K.
    Stunted root growth.................................... P.
    Wilting........................................... ............... Cu.

Use this chart as a reference ONLY. This is not a guaranteed diagnosis of your plant and you should only use this as a guideline to help you figure out what your nutrient solution is lacking...

ELEMENT and Description of Deficiency and Toxicity

N (Nitrogen) .................. Deficiency: Plants will exhibit lack of vigor as older leaves become yellow (chlorotic) from lack of chlorophyll. Chlorosis will eventually spread throughout the plant. Stems, petioles and lower leaf surfaces may turn purple.
    Toxicity: Leaves are often dark green and in the early stages abundant with foliage. If excess is severe, leaves will dry and begin to fall off. Root system will remain under developed or deteriorate after time. Fruit and flower set will be inhibited or deformed.
    P (Phosphorus) ...........Deficiency: Plants are stunted and older leaves often dark dull green in color. Stems, petioles may turn purple. Plant maturity is often delayed.
    Toxicity: This condition is rare and usually buffered by pH limitations. Excess phosphorus can interfere with the availability of copper and zinc.
    K (Potassium) .......... Deficiency: Older leaves are initially chlorotic but soon develop dark necrotic lesions (dead tissue). First apparent on the tips and margins of the leaves. Stem and branches may become weak and easily broken.
    Toxicity: Usually not absorbed excessively by plants. Excess potassium can aggravate the uptake of magnesium, manganese, zinc and iron.
    S (Sulfur) .......... Deficiency: The initial symptoms are the yellowing of the entire leaf including veins usually starting with the younger leaves. Leaf tips may yellow and curl downward.
    Toxicity: Leaf size will be reduced and overall growth will be stunted. Leaves yellowing or scorched at edges.
    Mg (Magnesium) .......... Deficiency: The older leaves will be the first to develop interveinal chlorosis. Starting at leaf margin or tip and progressing inward between the veins.
    Toxicity: Magnesium toxicity are rare and not generally exhibited visibly.
    Ca (Calcium) .......... Deficiency: Young leaves are affected first and become small and distorted or chlorotic with irregular margins, spotting or necrotic areas. Bud development is inhibited and roots may be underdeveloped or die back. Fruit may be stunted or deformed.
    Toxicity: Difficult to distinguish visually. May precipitate with sulfur in solution and cause clouding or residue in tank.
    Fe (Iron) ........... Deficiency: Pronounced interveinal chlorosis similar to that cased by magnesium deficiency but on the younger leaves.
    Toxicity: Excess accumulation is rare but could cause bronzing or tiny brown spots on leaf surface.
    Mn (Manganese) .......... Deficiency: Interveinal chlorosis on younger or older leaves followed by necrotic lesions or leaf shedding. Restricted growth and failure to mature normally can also result.
    Toxicity: Chlorosis, or blotchy leaf tissue due to insufficient chlorophyll synthesis. Growth rate will slow and vigor will decline.
    Cl (Chlorine) .......... Deficiency: Wilted chlorotic leaves become bronze in color. Roots become stunted and thickened near tips.
    Toxicity: Burning of leaf tip or margins. Bronzing, yellowing and leaf splitting. Reduced leaf size and lower growth rate.
    B (Boron) .......... Deficiency: Stem and root apical meristems often die. Root tips often become swollen and discolored. Internal tissues may rot and become host to fungal disease. Leaves show various symptoms which include drying, thickening, distorting, wilting, and chlorotic or necrotic spotting.
    Toxicity: Yellowing of leaf tip followed by necrosis of the leaves beginning at tips or margins and progressing inward. Some plants are especially sensitive to boron accumulation.
    Zn (Zinc) .......... Deficiency: Chlorosis may accompany reduction of leaf size and a shortening between internodes. Leaf margins are often distorted or wrinkled.
    Toxicity: Zinc in excess is extremely toxic and will cause rapid death. Excess zinc interferes with iron causing chlorosis from iron deficiency.
    Cu (Copper) .......... Deficiency: Young leaves often become dark green and twisted. They may die back or just exhibit necrotic spots. Growth and yield will be deficient as well.
    Toxicity: Reduced growth followed by symptoms of iron chlorosis, stunting, reduced branching, abnormal darkening and thickening of roots. This element is essential but extremely toxic in excess.
    Mo (Molybdenum) .......... Deficiency: Often interveinal chlorosis which occurs first on older leaves, then progressing to the entire plant. Developing severely twisted younger leaves which eventually die.
    Toxicity: Excess may cause discoloration of leaves depending on plant species. This condition is rare but could occur from accumulation by continuous application. Used by the plant in very small quantities.

11. Cheapest way to get P and K ? Been using my own soil and compost, I live on a farm, real healthy soil. Also I want to get the best quality nugs, are those supplements like cha ching or other finishers really worth it for outside grows in healthy soil soaking up sunlight all day?

12. Get some organic indonesian bat guano, worm castings, fine powdered dolomite lime and 3 tablespoons of unsulphered molasses. Put that combination in a nylon stocking and let it sit at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket for 5 days. Stir water everyday multiple times a day and add a half gallon of fresh water on day 2 and 4. Water plants with this and they will love you.

13. #13 5150, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
    If the cold is turning your main stems purple, one would think the top of the colas buds and the top of the colas leafs would turn purple first. Not the main stem first. Is my thinking correct?

Someting to consider when you think your main stems purple is from the cold but have no purple leafs on top of the colas.

14. Oh no no no! A significant number of landrace afghan and nepalese genetics have natural purpling and for us blueberry lovers, we wait in anticipation to discover the seedlings with the purple stems and striping. Those are the blueberry girls that are going to be 10' tall and kick fucking ass!!! I like many blueberry lovers toss the green pheno's.

I also love the purple northern lights pheno better than the green pheno, Yumbolt, Hindu kush, Purple urkle, purple wreck, Purple #1, god i could fill up this page with strains that have purpling or "blue" coloring. Often the purples have red in them as well and there are several completely red strains.

Purpling is the result of high altitude genetics and is enhanced by colder conditions. Its a genetic trait that is treasured in many very good strains: Blueberry and Flo are just 2 wonderful purples, but any strain containing high altitude afghan genetics can have purpling.

15. my bottom leave stems turned first, then my top leaf stems, now the calyxes are starting to turn

16. Adult main stems or the buds?

17. both, all. Some hybrids such as Aurora indica by nirvana have purple hairs, some like flo have purple buds and some like Purple #1 by DP, leaves, buds and hairs are purple.

Blueberry has bluish, purple leaves but dark green buds. It just depends on the genetics and the degree of dominance displayed in the cross by the parent that has the purple genes.

18. So my nirvana northern lts strain has developed purple stems 2 weeks into flower. Is that bad or not everyone has seemed to say something different lol

19. Small amounts of purple stippling on petioles at the top of the plant can be reversed if not genetically induced. I find its usually due to Cal/Mg or sulfur deficiency, but has a couple other causes too

20. What about the main stems which this thread is about?