Purple fan leaf stems

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by masterlights, Apr 24, 2012.

1. I thought that the purpling of the leaf stems and petioles(center where stem meets leaf) was caused by a lack of phosphorous, but talking to one of the employees at the hydro shop who tends their plants said most often than not any type of purpling is caused by lack of Calcium or Magnesium.

My pants are a few weeks in veg and growing really fast and look terrific apart from the purpling.
    The medium is coco and im using the H&G lineup..watering with 50/50 tap/RO to bring the base ppm at about 140.And PH is about 5.8-6.2 going in.

2. Some one told me it had to do with temps

3. purpling can be a phenotype of the strain, cold temps or a phosphorous/mag def. h&g is what i use, and it's great. i think they make the best coco specific line out there. i'd stick with r/o myself. this will allow you to add more nutes than allowing for several hundred ppm found in most tap water. i use a ph of 5.8 from start to finish, and do very well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I am having the same thing happening with my Hash Plant strain.
    I am growing in dirt(potting soil, miracle grow potting mix). I am going to start DWC hydroponic but haven't got nutrients yet.

Attached Files:

5. yea i really like the cocos h&g lineup.I do use some RO water.I dilute my tap water 50% with RO which brings my base ppm to around 120 or so.I found that my water bill does not get out of control when i atleast use half tap.

Just wondering how many teaspoons are you usually feeding when your a few weeks into veg(lets say 12" inches)Ive been watering pretty steadily with 1 tsp per gallon of the cocos A&B with some supplements like thrive alive b,sugar daddy,SOS,and drip clean.I guess I just have to figure out if my plant needs phosphorous or magnesium:confused:

6. My white widow's are in day 52 of vege. growth and the fan leave stems are also turning purple, other than that plants look beautiful. I'm keeping them in vegetative growth longer than normal until my auto's finish as they share grow space.

• Like Like x 1
  7. they're either cold or you have a nitrogen problem if they're more of a reddish purple, also this thread is 4 fucking years old, pay attention people