Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Purest way to light your bowl?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by The Golden Spiral, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Well i just cleaned my glass. and there's a fucking lot of sun outside. so i was thinking...
    Light your bowl with the sun! now i'm looking for my magnifying glass, which i can't find :mad:
    It'd be the purest way to smoke weed. I wouldn't be inhaling butane nor a fucking bunch of CO2 and other impurities from a hempwick (butane lighter>hempwick anyway)

2. Hot rod or whatever theyre called (the glass thingys you heat up) never tried one but has to be clean lol

3. have a slightly larger circle on your weed from the magnifying glass (so no combustion) then with patience, you'll vape.
    and quality hempwick is better because it burns at a lower temperature than butane.

4. Herb Iron or Hakko is much easier than using a magnifying glass. And just as pure.

5. HAHA! i found it! but the sun is too dim now :mad:

6. hempwick > butane no matter what. not all the butane burns and u inhale it. longterm effects of butane exposure include nerve damage and other health issues

7. Dude is not about the heat. It's about all the extra CO2 and impurities the hempwick will give away an you'll inhale all that shit!

But it's personal preference, i rather inhale some butane than more impurities.

I don't know if i make sense

8. Solar Hitting is fucking awesome.

Otherwise, Vaporize.

9. With a joints cherry. I've done it with a cig and a nicely ground/packed bowl.

10. (i'm not like a antihempwick maniac or anything but)
    I feel hempwick adds a taste to the bud. and you inhale more (i'll insist) impurities and nasty shit. I know butane is bad too, but i think that there is more bad shit with the hempwick. i don't know.

To james: Yeah! i felt like a badass! but the bud didn't really ignited. But when i hit the bowl afterward tasted amazing!! i guess the heat roasted it or something!

I'll try again and post tomorrow after i try it with a stronger sun :stoned:

11. [quote name='"TheCRToker"']

Dude is not about the heat. It's about all the extra CO2 and impurities the hempwick will give away an you'll inhale all that shit!

But it's personal preference, i rather inhale some butane than more impurities.

I don't know if i make sense[/quote]

if you're getting quality hempwick (like I said in my original post) then the wick should be made from all natural materials and made without impurities.

12. hempwick is not pure in anyway.. Ever watch all the smoke that comes off that shit? Butane Bic ftw

13. Vaporize ftw

14. I hold a regular BIC lighter like half an inch away from the bowl so just a tiny bit is lit so as not to waste too much smoke

15. herb iron or vape.

16. I like hempwick. Get to taste the herb instead of butane.

17. [quote name='"TheCRToker"']Well i just cleaned my glass. and there's a fucking lot of sun outside. so i was thinking...
    Light your bowl with the sun! now i'm looking for my magnifying glass, which i can't find :mad:
    It'd be the purest way to smoke weed. I wouldn't be inhaling butane nor a fucking bunch of CO2 and other impurities from a hempwick (butane lighter>hempwick anyway)[/quote]

Butaine over HEMPwhick really now?......
    No....just no.......
    /facepalm

18. [quote name='"TreNonymous"']Hot rod or whatever theyre called (the glass thingys you heat up) never tried one but has to be clean lol[/quote]

Soldering iron

19. This guy is insisting he knows the truth yet says he doesn't know at the same time, ignorance. Do you not realize hempwick is made from HEMP which is the same as weed, just without thc and other cannabinoids? Your talking out of your ass....you realize you get CO2 from weed to right? I hate when ppl talk like they know shit but have done NO research at all.....let me help you out a bit, unless your too closed minded and will just disregaurd scientific research cuz you think your right.

"Why "butane is bad!" [4] Inhalation of butane can cause euphoria, drowsiness, narcosis, asphyxia, cardiac arrhythmia, and frostbite which can result in death from asphyxiation and ventricular fibrillation. Butane is the most commonly misused volatile substance in the UK, and was the cause of 52% of "solvent related" deaths in 2000.[1] By spraying butane directly into the throat, the jet of fluid can cool rapidly to –20 C by expansion, causing prolonged laryngospasm.[2] "Sudden sniffer's death" syndrome, first described by Bass in 1970, [3] is the most common single cause of "solvent related" death, resulting in 55% of known fatal cases.[2] Hemp Wick info A Hemp wick has a tremendous amount of advantages over butane lighters, and for any avid marijuana smoker it would be the best option to light your bowls. The wick is made from hemp fibers and is normally wrapped around a lighter so that it can be easily lit. Once lit you will begin to see the advantages of using a hemp wick immediately. First off, it gets rid of the risk of breathing in any butane or noxious gases from your lighter when you are lighting your bowl. Secondly, you have more control of the flame and can corner your bowl with a lot more precision. Since hemp is not a gas it does not combust at the high temperatures that butane burns at. This means when you are burning your bud it will be less harsh and you can take more intense hits of your bong or bowl without feeling as much strain on your lungs. If you are still using a lighter to light your bowls, then you have to give the wick a try. You will see an immediate improvement in your smoking experience. [5] You can get free samples of hemp wick here:

I think the best thing to do is just some simple searches for things like, "butane side effects" and then decide for yourself. Source(s): [1] Ramsey J, Anderson HR, Bloor K, et al. An introduction to the practice, prevalence and chemical toxicology of volatile substance abuse. Hum Toxicol 1989;8:261–9 Trends in death Associated with Abuse of Volatile Substances 1971-2004 [2] Field-Smith M, Bland JM, Taylor JC, et al., Department of Public Health Sciences. London: St George’s Medical School [3] Bass M. Sudden sniffing death. JAMA 1970;212:2075–9 [4] Humboldt Traders, www.humboldt-traders.com [5] The Weed Street Journal,

http://humboldt-traders.com/free-hemp-wick-lighter/

http://www.theweedstreetjournal.com/advantages-hemp-wick-butane-lighter/