Pulling a popcorn bud to "sample" the plant before harvest

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Tommatt, Sep 11, 2010.

1. So everytime I come into the harvest section, I see people talking about this. Sometimes it sounds like they don't properly,or fully cure the bud to get a sample.

Just curious what this involves, do you cure it like normal, and how early people do it? I'm still a good 6 weeks at least till harvest, but am interested in this. Would be nice to smoke a bowl of my own bud say at thanksgiving (Which is when I think will be when I cut down the plant. 13 week sativa) and a sample could do just the trick :)

2. Drying and curing are 2 different things.

Drying is done right after you chop her down and usually lasts for 1 week in a dark room.

Curing lasts for a month or longer and is done after drying when buds are put into mason jars and opened every day for a couple weeks.

I sampled some of mine early but not 6 weeks early, I dunno if that is even worth trying. The buds will get significantly larger and have way more thc on them the longer you leave them on your plant though :)

Plus, if you nuted her or added anything you could be potentially smoking some bad stuff and it would taste bad. I'd say flush her 2 weeks before thanksgiving, cut off a bud and dry it for a couple days to a week and then you can smoke it on thanksgiving :smoking:

3. I asked this exact question my first grow.

I'm very happy to pass this info on now.

It comes from high authority that it is not a problem to pull off samplers of your bud close to harvest time.

I pulled some off every couple days to experience different stages of trich development. I just tossed it in an open oven for about 30 minutes - no where near as good as well cured bud but it got me high. Temps were in the 200's - THC will vape around the upper 300s i believe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. anoher quick dry method is to prop the bud inside of a CFL coil (being careful not to leave the bud touching the bulb at all). depending on size, will dry your sample in 15-45 minutes

5. Dislike! You don't ever want to dry your buds with a heat source, let alone with a light! Drying should be done in a dark place because during the drying process, light can degrade THC. If you are going to use a heat source to quick dry a sample though, a jerky dehydrator works great.

6. of course it isn't perfect, but neither is quick drying in general.

7. But still, I wouldn't do it directly on a light source.. You can wrap it in foil and sit it in the sun :)

8. #8 rthuba, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2010
    i view them at 60x and then smoke previous buds that are cured.
    throw the popcorn into the drying box and its got 3 days on the rest .. will be better later.
    see the curing threads.. sticky'd ones show that they don't just stop .. it will continue like a tomato or banana ...

as with golf, if you cheat with a bud, your just cheating yourself.

9. Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think degradation of ThC will be a problem, as I'll have been on a good 4 month T-Break before that time. And, unfortunately, I won't be able to smoke the finished product for some time. Figured the sample would be a win win. :) Will proably try the low heat oven method just to get a quick drying in, unless I noticed I have more time.

I still have a lot of researching to do on the final harvest/drying/curing techniques, but trying to focus on getting my plants that far :D

10. im thinking about doing it cause im jonesing and broke

11. Been there, done that.

I use an over(toaster or regular) that has been preheated to it's lowest temp and then turned off. Put the buds in after it's turned off and just let them set in there till they dry.

I only do this for smoke I need NOW, maybe to take a sample or cause I've run out and got no source for more at the time.

12. i hear just putting you'r bud in a paper bag and leaving it some where pretty warm like inside a car thats out in the sun for a day can work really well. i think that simply having it in a paper bag is good as the paper would slowly draw the moisture from the bud and then release it out into the air.

13. I just pull the bud off the plant and vape it. It dries as it vapes.

14. Does it work? I have a popcorn bud that i'd love to dry that way

15. The first hit of vapor tastes a bit like cabbage, but it will get you quite wasted if you can get past the taste. I do this all the time.

16. Works like a charm. Can taste a bit "grassy" so to speak and it will really reduce in size as the water comes out (I think they say about 70% water in fresh herb) but that's about all. I love to take a sampler and toss it in the vape when it gets close to harvest time :D

17. Good info. I have a volcano :D

18. Vaping weed that aint dry is harsh and tastes not so good. :(

It takes a week for bud to dry, I don't understand why you can't go with that one dude's idea and just chop a bud down a week or 2 before turkey day and it will be properly dried and tasty by the time you gotta eat your bird.

19. this just reminded me why i come here...thats a sick idea i will throw a little guy in my Iolite:smoke: