Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.
  1. I am in the military. I am about to complete my time in the service. Through out my service I have been deployed to Iraq and afgh. I am suffering from medium PTSD. I have been going to treatment for this in the military and all they give me a pills that make me feel sick and really horrid. I was wondering if medical marijuana could be a better treatment than the pills. Any advice would be very helpfull.

2. Yeah it could. Depending on how your PTSD manifests, you can either use Indica, Sativa or a hybrid. If you're not much for smoking, there are edibles, topicals and more in dispensaries. (Require you to be a Medical Marijuana Patient, assuming your state allows it.)

3. yes...an easy rule of thumb to follow; bud good, pills bad.

pills weren't so bad 25 years ago, but now, they cause more damage, side effects or worse than the condition, and while raping your wallet, they shave years off your life...bud, pain relief, stress relief, calming soothing feelings...the side effect, you are intoxicated...(if you smoke, it can harm your lungs, like ANYTHING smoked will do...)

Cardiovascular diseases 806,156 Malignant neoplasms 562,875 Motor Vehicle Crashes 43,945 Drug induced1 38,371 Septicemia (infections) 34,828 Suicide 34,598 by Firearms 31,224 Accidental poisoning 29,846 Alcohol induced 23,199 Homicide 18,361 Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) 11,295 Viral hepatitis 7,407 Cannabis (Marijuana) 0

(1998 - marijuana)
    "3. The most obvious concern when dealing with drug safety is the possibility of lethal effects. Can the drug cause death?
    "4. Nearly all medicines have toxic, potentially lethal effects. But marijuana is not such a substance. There is no record in the extensive medical literature describing a proven, documented cannabis-induced fatality.
    "5. This is a remarkable statement. First, the record on marijuana encompasses 5,000 years of human experience. Second, marijuana is now used daily by enormous numbers of people throughout the world. Estimates suggest that from twenty million to fifty million Americans routinely, albeit illegally, smoke marijuana without the benefit of direct medical supervision. Yet, despite this long history of use and the extraordinarily high numbers of social smokers, there are simply no credible medical reports to suggest that consuming marijuana has caused a single death.
    "6. By contrast aspirin, a commonly used, over-the-counter medicine, causes hundreds of deaths each year.
    "7. Drugs used in medicine are routinely given what is called an LD-50. The LD-50 rating indicates at what dosage fifty percent of test animals receiving a drug will die as a result of drug induced toxicity. A number of researchers have attempted to determine marijuana's LD-50 rating in test animals, without success. Simply stated, researchers have been unable to give animals enough marijuana to induce death.
    "8. At present it is estimated that marijuana's LD-50 is around 1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman terms this means that in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette. NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response.
    "9. In practical terms, marijuana cannot induce a lethal response as a result of drug-related toxicity."

Source:
    US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, "In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition" (Docket #86-22), September 6, 1988, p. 56-57.
    Judge Young - Part 4

ref: Annual Causes of Death in the United States | Drug War Facts

yep, bud good, pills bad...:D

4. weed side effect: possibly paranoia...

but it might work for you.

ive heard that spending some time by yourself hiking/camping in nature has helped veterans with PTSD. But im not sure if this is true.

what pills are they giving you?

5. that effect is not from the weed, it's due to YOU feeling quilty, nervousness of potentially being caught...I've been free of that feeling after my second year of toking...33 years ago...

Think back, when you were a kid, stealing mommy and daddies tobacco/alcohol and using those...you were nervous, paranoid...because you were worried about being caught, not because of the substance.

6. the substance has something to do with it, it changes your perception.

its different for everyone. have you ever smoked weed when your life isnt going so well? for some people including me, it makes it worse. other people have no problem letting go and not caring about there problems.

just personally though, if i smoke weed while im happy, ill have an even better time, if i smoke weed while i got alot of problems, i start thinking about those problems and feel stupid that im stoned and not dealing with them.

7. #7 BigMoose, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2011
    Marijuana will help your PTSD immensely. You will go through about a year period of getting high from pot, enjoy it!. After a year or so it stops being as recreational and marijuana moves into a medicinal category.

It will calm your nerves, help you deal with people and crowds and help your temper.
    Start learning how to grow. Most guys with PTSD go through an 1/8th a day which cost about 60$ in a dispensary. If you grow you lessen the chance of getting caught, dealing with a shady element, etc.

You need your meds. If you aren't on a good combo of anti depressants then keep going to a new psychiatrist until you find one that knows what they are doing and gives you the right prescription. Dont give up on it. Meds will keep your brain from racing and give you a slight buffer before the anger sets in.

Getting high gives you a 'reset'. After coming off a good high you actually feel normal again. (Remember what normal feels like? I don't.) Most of the time you smoke though will be to take the edge off your nerves.

MMJ hits the CB1 and CB2 receptors in your brain which are designed [by evolution] to cause memory loss and anti stress. It was the bodies higher brain defense mechanism for when we were monkeys and a leopard would charge out of the bush and eat your mom in front of you.

Cannaboid receptors were designed for PTSD

PM me if you want.

8. ok, I see your point..yes it does.

tobacco, alcohol, food, air, even sunlight, all have an affect on your perceptions...but it is your MIND that falls into fear and paranoia if you shouldn't be 'using' or be exposed to those things...

knowing you are doing something that could result in a punishment or harm, is what causes the paranoia (psychology101 stuff)

9. yeah the guilt/paranoia is NOT caused by the MJ itself. For example, I have no paranoia whatsoever because I'm a legal MMJ patient, I don't worry about getting busted, ergo I don't get paranoid.

10. I just wanted to duck in to say THANK YOU for your service! I am truly sorry that you are suffering because of it and I will be praying that you get the help/calm/love/support that you need to heal.
    MMJ has been a miracle for many people with anxiety, depression, OCD, ADD/ADHD, etc. and I think that it would definitely be worth investigating for you. The wonderful thing is that it is SO, SO SAFE, that even if it does not provide you with some relief, it will not hurt you in any way. The same cannot be said for the Rx drugs that are all but forced down our throats.
    Again, you have my sincere thanks for your service and your sacrifice.
    Be well and be blessed.
    Sandcat

11. First, off thank you for your service, but I wish it hadn't been needed for your sake and the sake of many others.

Secondly, here are studies on PTSD that you may find interesting to read and share with your doctors and friends-

Never fear, cannabinoids are here (article - 2002)
    http://mcforadhd.free.fr/naturefear.pdf

The endogenous cannabinoid system controls extinction of aversive memories.
    (abst - 2002)
    The endogenous cannabinoid system controls extinct... [Nature. 2002] - PubMed result

'Natural' cannabis manages memory (news - 2002)
    BBC NEWS | Health | 'Natural' cannabis manages memory

Study: Marijuana Eases Traumatic Memories (news - 2002)
    cannabisnews.com: Study: Marijuana Eases Traumatic Memories

Cannabis-like Brain Chemical Blocks Out Bad Memories
    (news - 2002)
    Cannabis-like Brain Chemical Blocks Out Bad Memories: Scientific American

Endocannabinoids extinguish bad memories in the brain (news - 2002)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Marijuana-Like Compound Banishes Fear (news - 2002)
    Marijuana-Like Compound Banishes Fear

Natural high helps banish bad memories (news - 2002)
    Natural high helps banish bad memories - 31 July 2002 - New Scientist

Israel to soothe soldiers with marijuana (news - 2004)
    NewsMine.org - Israel to soothe soldiers with marijuana

Enhancing Cannabinoid Neurotransmission Augments the Extinction of Conditioned Fear (full - 2005)
    Neuropsychopharmacology - Enhancing Cannabinoid Neurotransmission Augments the Extinction of Conditioned Fear

Cannabinoid CB1 Receptor Mediates Fear Extinction via Habituation-Like Processes (full - 2006)
    Cannabinoid CB1 Receptor Mediates Fear Extinction via Habituation-Like Processes

PTSD and Cannabis: A Clinician Ponders Mechanism of Action (news - 2006)
    CCRMG

Cannabis Eases Post Traumatic Stress (news - 2006)
    CCRMG
    Medical Marijuana: PTSD Medical Malpractice (news - 2007)
    Medical Marijuana: PTSD Medical Malpractice - Salem-News.Com

Modulation of Fear and Anxiety by the Endogenous Cannabinoid System
    (full - 2007)
    Modulation of Fear and Anxiety by the Endogenous Cannabinoid System

Posttraumatic stress symptom severity predicts marijuana use coping motives among traumatic event-exposed marijuana users (abst - 2007)
    Posttraumatic stress symptom severity predicts marijuana use coping motives among traumatic event-exposed marijuana users.

Medical Marijuana: PTSD Medical Malpractice (news - 2007)
    Medical Marijuana: PTSD Medical Malpractice - Salem-News.Com

Cannabis for the Wounded - Another Walter Reed Scandal (news - 2007)
    LP: Cannabis for the Wounded - Another Walter Reed Scandal

Association of the Cannabinoid Receptor Gene (CNR1) With ADHD and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (full – 2009)
    Association of the Cannabinoid Receptor Gene (CNR1) With ADHD and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Cannabinoid Receptor Activation in the Basolateral Amygdala Blocks the Effects of Stress on the Conditioning and Extinction of Inhibitory Avoidance
    (full - 2009)
    Cannabinoid Receptor Activation in the Basolateral Amygdala Blocks the Effects of Stress on the Conditioning and Extinction of Inhibitory Avoidance

The use of a synthetic cannabinoid in the management of treatment-resistant nightmares in posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). (abst - 2009)
    The use of a synthetic cannabinoid in the manageme... [CNS Neurosci Ther. 2009] - PubMed result

Patients with post-traumatic stress disorder may benefit from synthetic marijuana
    (news - 2009)
    Patients with post-traumatic stress disorder may benefit from synthetic marijuana | Health Jockey

Marijuana could alleviate symptoms of PTSD (news - 2009)
    http://israel21c.org/health/marijuana-could-alleviate-symptoms-of-ptsd

'Pot' may help combat PTSD U. of Haifa study shows (news - 2009)
    ISRAELI STUDY: POT MAY HELP COMBAT PTSD -- "The results of our research should encourage psychiatric investigation into using cannabinoids." - VA Watchdog dot Org - 11-05-2009

Marijuana could prove helpful for post-traumatic stress disorder patients.
    (news - 2009)
    Marijuana could prove helpful for post-traumatic stress disorder patients. - Free Online Library

Cannabinoids modulate hippocampal memory and plasticity. (abst – 2010)

Cannabinoids modulate hippocampal memory and plast... [Hippocampus. 2010] - PubMed result

Cannabis and PTSD by Michael McKenna (anecdotal - 2010)
    Marijuana-Uses » Blog Archive » Cannabis and PTSD by Michael McKenna

Posttraumatic stress disorder and Cannabis use in a nationally representative sample. (abst – 2011)

Posttraumatic stress disorder and Cannabis use in ... [Psychol Addict Behav. 2011] - PubMed result

I can remember this one apartment building in San Diego- full of 'Nam vets. When the dudes got their money, the whole complex reeked! One vet I remember said cannabis made his life "livable", which for a guy with as many "demons" as he had, was saying a lot!

Hope that helps,

Granny

12. I also have PTSD. Medical Marijuana does wonders for me.

13. StormCrows list should be stickied somewhere.

I keep a Folder for studies validating cannabis and ptsd. If I ever get in trouble with the law I'll just pass the folder over to my lawyer and see what he can do with it.

14. It is stickied in the Medical Marijuana section and just running a search for "Granny Storm Crow" will always find it! Excellent idea with the folder! Hope I added to it!

Granny