Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Psychosis, the Yang of Yin?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Sedona, Dec 4, 2014.

1. #1 Sedona, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
    [SIZE=10pt]Greetings - I'm 47 and started smoking marijuana again last Sept. It has been beneficial in a number ofways, but[/SIZE] I had to stop 30 days ago for reasons I'll explain in a moment, but first a little background[SIZE=10pt].  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I experimented as a young teen but stopped a couple years later because I began to experience anxiety and paranoia. Since then, the 30 years between, on occasion the mood struck again, but[/SIZE] the results were never pleasant. A difference has been though, as an adult if I found a quiet place I could relax and move through the anxiety by rationalizing my circumstance.

[SIZE=10pt]So, last Sept I tried marijuana again, but[/SIZE] on this occasion the experience was delightful, and living on Vancouver Island I was (am) fortunate to have access to medical marijuana. So I did a little research, saw a Dr and spoke of anxiety and away I went.

[SIZE=10pt]I lost weight, my blood pressure came down and I was a calm, contemplative and considerate person. Not that I wasn't prior but now I was really on a roll. I learned to love music again, spent time reading, gained an appreciation for the arts and learned to ride a unicycle (alright, I[/SIZE] already knew how to ride a unicycle) but the point is things were really good. Another unexpected and delightful benefit was I had nearly no desire to drink alcohol and prior to Sept I had been a heavy drinker for nearly 10 years.

[SIZE=10pt]Now there were[/SIZE] the usual memory impairments that people speak of. I was forgetful, lacked focus and occasionally giggled at funerals. Kidding aside, the memory thing was quite disconcerting.. It's worth noting at this point that now that I'm 30 days "dry" - full facility has returned, as has my tummy.. Another observation was my sleep cycle changed; I was tired in the afternoon, but attributed this to staying up later on mostly Sativa and reading, playing chess and generally enjoying my inner space.

[SIZE=10pt]Then in early April I noticed a different feeling, something which alarmed me. In what can be best described as mild psychosis I began to feel like my perception was slightly skewed or as I tried to explain to my wife, "I felt out of phase” Use at the point was 20-25 grams/month and again mostly Sativa[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I have a history of mental illness in my family, my brother was schizophrenic, and I've experienced general anxiety since being a teen. That said, I've been on SSRI's since 06 and have had great success mingling that with booze to attain a darn good life. That said, booze is very unforgiving and I'm tired of feeling like crap the first hour of most days. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]So.. I'm highly motivated to find some balance that mitigates the mild psychosis while still offering the cornucopia of coolness.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I'm cautious considering my hereditary and would also like to avoid the memory and focus issues..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Is there anyone that can speak to my predicament? [/SIZE]

2. I say its always better than alcohol, just dont smoke so much and you shouldn't trigger any psychosis states, be careful on those SSRI's as well, they are dangerous. 

3. I read a study on that very thing and it said that with a family history it could bring on schizophrenia, but only for those in their teens. Adult onset schizophrenia from smoking marijuana is highly unlikely and the study I read said it was non existent. I wish I could find it again if I do I'll post a link. Getting high can have ups and downs. I hope things go better for you.

4. OSS Hey prediciment
    PREDICAMENT: Hey wassup?
    OSS: Sedona asked to speak to you.
    P: About what?
    OSS: He went through 47 phases of his life, and now he feels out of phase.
    P; Tell him to set his phaser to stun.
    OSS:eek:k, and what about the cornacopia of coolness?
    P That has been changed to the weirdo horn of plenty.

5. #5 Sedona, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
    @ Olde Smokey. Funny guy, but looks aren't everything.

Perhaps I should rephrase and repost to capture a larger audience.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

6. THC triggers psychosis.

CBD stops psychosis.

But if you're pre-disposed to schizophrenia it's gonna show up one way or another. If not from THC then high stress.

BTW - I'm schitzo yet happy/stable because my meds are effective. Just pointing out there's life after a schizophrenia diagnosis.