Pruning weak branches during flowering?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Anonymous3030, Feb 15, 2019.

1. I'm about a month into flowering some random bag seeds. Most plants are doing pretty well. Have 1 that was stunted pretty bad and 1 that had a little accident with during veg and they have a few really weak branches that are barely forming anything. Should I go ahead and cut these branches off so they can focus on the bigger buds? Heres a pic of one of the weaker branches.

Attached Files:

2. It is my humble opinion that you should not cut anything 4 weeks into flower, you should have already done all that by now. Instead bend down the larger branches even with the smaller ones. You'll be amazed at how much those little ones can bulk up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. If the lower branches have weak bud formation, you can remove.
    I don't usually remove anything major past week 2 - 3 of flower but by the looks of it, i would get rid...(not much on that branch after 4 weeks of flower) so the plant can focus on larger buds etc. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yea i know you're not supposed to do any cutting this late but just seems to be like it would be wasting the energy trying to make buds on these sites so I wasnt sure if the pros would outweigh the cons or not. figured if ask. Honestly these 2 plants were so fucked up at one point I planned on scrapping them so I expected nothing from the to begin with. So it's a nice surprise anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Knock ya self out

just check twice before you cut the once ..lol

good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Do you really want to stress your plant? If its been healthy its whole grow and is thriving right now it shouldn't be a problem but the question is will you lose any yield from this? Maybe..

If you did it during week 1-3 of flower it would be best

7. The plants I'm asking about havent been healthy. That's the reason they have shitty branches. They finally took off in certain areas but lack in some.

9. Is it an auto? If not then I would cut it off so energy can be focused to buds up top. But I would take that cutting and make it a clone and reveg if you have space. Keep it going and growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. #10 Advocate4TheMT, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    If you do LST like GroFoMoFo said and open up the canopy allowing light to get directly to those nodes they will plump up. Personally I’m big time in to stress training, breaking and taping, rerouting nutrients, pruning, feming. Bonsai, topping etc etc, so I would be chopping shit off. And bending shit everywhere. Stressing the plant is a real threat. I do believe stressing at the correct times will grow a way stronger plant if her genetics are good. And it’s amazing what cannabis handle I can get those nodes in your pic to form buds just as dense as the main colas.

They start like this
    [​IMG][​IMG]

End up like this.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    In that final pic of you look at the bucket I’m doing something in The realm of what GroafoMoFo is saying. You can see I have the main branches all low stress trained at the bottom allowing those little nodes to go from pop corn nugs to boulders.

If you stress the plant to much this far in the cycle is could go really bad for that girl. And if she stresses to the point of hermying, and you don’t catch it you could loose your whole crop. Just remember for next time, and keep any technique you decide to use on this grow on the Low Stress end.

• Like Like x 1
  11. This was my first grow all bag seeds no training just grow and see what happens all trail and error. Honestly started growing before I had everything set up correctly so I was learning and setting up as i was going hence the reason for the 1 stunted plant and the other accident i had which caused issues with the other. I'm gonna do some clipping before my next watering on these 2 weaker plants. I dont think it will cause them any issues since the massive traumas they have received so far havent messed them up yet lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lol!! Been there brother!! The best advice I can give is “There are no rules when it comes to art.” “And have some fucking fun bro!!! Personally I think you made the right choice just diving into the project make mistakes it’s proven to be the most efficient ethos of learning throughout my life lol. And soon enough you won’t have to think. You’ll open that tent and be able to hear what your girls are asking for as soon as you look at them. Keep it up my friend your on the right track !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. I
    Wouldnt u can stress them to much to the point they hermie on you. Just leave em use that shit for hash or oil or shatter. Next grow do a lollipop a week before u flip to 12-12 hope this helps. Happy growing!

• Like Like x 2
  14. I did lollipop the shit out of all the plants about 2 months into veg which scared me. Because I mean I really chopped them. Then about a month after that (1 month ago) give or take went back and trimmed everything back up. I saw these areas at that time but have never seen these plants grow becore so I wasnt sure what was going to happen so I let it ride. Figured I'd rather see what happens first than cut them to begin with since it is my first grow.

15. Up until recently, I've only grown bagseed. Believe me, any kind of high stress at the wrong time is the exact trigger they need to start dropping balls on you. It took a while to get to topping times just right, but I eventually learned the less stress, less likely to herm. Typically you can LST all the way up to 4-5 of flower safely, some people push that sometime.

• Like Like x 1