Pruning lower growth/flowers

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by skunkybudluver, May 23, 2010.

1. I was wondering if it's ok to prune some of the lower stems/flowers that aint really doing much? I have a couple that are not going to be much if left alone and far behind most of the others. Will this stunt growth? Run the risk of hermie? If it's ok, is the best way to use a razor blade and cut the stem off at the stalk?

2. Well, if you have buds under the canopy that aren't getting much light, yes you can prune them without stressing them too much, but I wouldn't for two reasons.

1: Your plant will use that older growth near the end of it's life as it starts canabalizing itself to keep going. Think of it like a nest egg that isn't there when you want to retire: not cool.

2: You can harvest in tiers. Take the colas/buds above the canopy first opening up some light for the lower buds and let them finish.

It's up to you but if you do decide to prune, don't do it all at once because that WILL stress the plant.

3. If the growth isn't dying or blocking other good bud sites you should probably just leave it. If it's blocking bud sites you are better off just tucking or tying the growth out of the way.

If you do end up trimming just do a little bit at a time so you don't stress the plant out too much all at once. CLEAN scissors, nail clippers, or razor blades all work fine. Just don't be too high while you're trimming!!

Good luck!

4. Damn. You beat me to it, Akhans!

5. Haha, I hate that. Also, good point about tucking.

6. Thanks guys. I guess I will just leave it. It's just a couple stems that are a little bit shorter and didn't grow out and away from the stalk like most of the other's. They are kind of growing up underneath the canopy closer to the stalk as compared to most of the others which have grown out and away from the stalk.