PRs organic garden of weed and other living things

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Pink, Jan 20, 2014.

1. I'm just learning about biochar (basically charcoal) and it is important to pre-soak it because it will 'suck' up N if it isn't already 'charged' with N. I just bought some biochar and will be figuring out how to use it. I'll probably mix in some kelp meal and alfalfa meal and add some EWC/compost then cover with water. I'll let it soak for a few days then add it to my new soil mix.

2. good idea Pak, although i have my doubts that N is the only thing carbon or charcoal will adsorb, probably the nutrient most easily recognized as being low or missing if done improperly.

i believe i have read 10% being optimal for your mix although i'm unsure why that number pops up. could it be derived from people using fresh coal and loosing too many nutrients verses with 20-30%, i dunno. that just seems to be "the number" as a percentage of a soil mix.

i would be willing to deduce that with totally inactive carbon, i.e. pre soaked or spent carbon, you could grow in 100% biochar or activated carbon if you so choose. it does raise the PH though and perhaps that weighs in on the 10% max number, again just a guess.
    makes me want to experiment a little, see what i can grow in 100% spent carbon pre treated with an acct, and added to through the grow. hmmmmm :)

3. You got it, Al.From what I've read anyway..... I want to include some in my next soil mix....An ion is an ion. Nitrogen is just a major macronutrient... so it is used in the greatest amounts. Doesn't mean it's more or less important than the others. It's just needed in greater amounts than other things so deficiencies show up quick. I don't see why u couldn't charge it with w/e u want.The alkaline pH is also the reason for the common 10% number, as u said.

Got a link or a name to look into?  Still pondering that item in my grow.  I like the idea of refillable/replaceable things.

Pretty good trade, I'd say.

5. http://airboxfilter.com

6. 10% Al is spot on. I use a local product which is a vermi char. The guys has been making biochar for a while. He puts it in with the compost/vermi bins and innoculates it prior to sale. I've talked to guys that have had "leaching" with heavier applications. I went heavy my first time. It was too much. It's gotten better as its been diluted into the recycled soil.

I've got a Can66 that I need to replace.

are you running one of these currently?

does it work well?

8. Is it too late for an old friend to pull up a chair? :wave:

9. are you a crusty old man Carlos? because Pinkie is only accepting crusty old men in her new grow so if you are, you're golden. :D

10. #70 Pink, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
    I started multiquoting and hit 6 posts, so I just say - thank you all so very much for productive and informative convo on recycling activated carbon :love: Mine is pretty spent, and the "absorbtion" vs. "adsorbtion" blew my mind, Al. I personally always lazily assumed it's a typo. What a tricky language your English is :devious: Kidding, but it still was very surprising to be enlightened on such mechanical but basic differences in understanding how material works. Here is an okay video I found on the difference between the two http://youtu.be/djIzXvwIz5U

I'm a little apprehensive to use mine in indoor soil mixes until I understand exactly how it performs here, but I am planning on soaking it with kelp/alfalfa(maybe +EWC if I have enough atm) slushy and using it for amending my permaculture bed I built last fall. It settled down and will defo need some more material before the season offset. It's covered with straw and all, and actually had rye sprouts growing before the last snow blizzard.
    2014-01-23 15.31.21.jpg

I made canna coconut oil out of my GypsyRider buds and trim. I soaked the buds and trim in virgin coconut oil/MCT oil mix and baked them (covered) in 200C oven for an hour. Froze for more than 24 hours, warmed up on the counter and baked for an hour at 220C again, still tightly covered with foil. Strained in a jar and here it is a day later. It's too green to be prefect, isn't it? 
    2014-01-23 10.38.50.jpg

I ate about 1,5 teaspoonful to try, taste is not bad at all, actually quite appealing. I experimented with popcorn (my kids were eating it at the moment), and you can defo taste and smell it on popcorn. I have a particular taste in food, so I do have goat cheese in the fridge, often. This time it was herb and garlic goat cheese from "Trader Joe's". Covers any ganja flavor perfectly. If you want to slip it to unsuspecting party, that would be it imo. 

Also, I've mentioned it before but it can't be mentioned too little I think. Every time I have ganja stench in the house (usually mostly cooking with mj or hash making), I put a branch of freshly cut rosemary on a piece of foil in the oven and let it bake as long as I cook pot. Amazingly for me, it covers all the smell. Rosemary plants are 4.99 at HD come spring and they are easy to grow, not so much overwinter, but it's still a very, very cheap insurance. Chicken baked in the oven with rosemary twigs and garlic rocks too!

He does run a couple of those AW, and he said last time we talked about it they do 90 (maybe 95?)% of cleaning air. You have to remember that 420inMI is in fact in MI lol and legal, but he does have about 5 flowering girls of giant stature and different levels of pungency at any given time. I might be wrong, but not by much I think :confused_2: Correct me if I'm wrong 420 :ey:  I'd plunge into those Airboxes if I have any spare funds, and saw how they work. Reusability without dismounting and all other bullshit defo beats a lot of coast right on the spot.

Are you kidding me :devious: Good thing you found some time to plug in and check on us here!  

Good to see you buddy. I hope you get back to the "groovy Carlos haha" :) Hard to accomplish probably, hanging out in Europe for so long :ey: lol.

No he is not at all crusty :( . He is as a matter of fact so shiny that he actually manages to actually depress the fuck out of me too. But I love him like a baby brother I've never had. :)

12. What Pinkie said, but I run 9 plants in flower, it does great for what I'm asking of it.

9, huh :smoking: Damn.

I remember though you and CW talking about possibility of buying the refills of either generic kind or cheaper than flat cost somehow :confused: Didn't happen?

14. Yep, they're a fairly generic size. Last time I was out and just spent the big bucks on the growstore ones. Ya know had to have now typa deal. Speaking of, I've got to order some of the others.... Spring is coming, people will be outside more. Lol

cool thanks..

my giant can filter thing is pretty spent (already reversed it once)

i think i'll snag one of these before the warm weather hits.. (hopefully sooner than later :()

Thanks, but Ho Lee Schidt!!  That's commercial level equipment and a price that's commensurate.

17. #77 Pink, Jan 24, 2014

:laughing:  Sorry Chef :D  I went exploring my old thread just to see what happened (and when) with those fancy filters, and first time 420inMI mentioned then was in May 2013. I'd say by now it's enough time for an established production grower to voice his "boos"  ;)  (don't wanna call any names here brother, just because, sorry :p ) to find out whether they work or not. Not advocating for them, I've never tried them myself, but I've never ever saw 420inMi spreading any bullshit, big or small. As I said, I'd plunge myself, but I don't have that space on ccard. I have about 200 and that will have to do :confused_2:  :laughing:

18. #78 Pink, Jan 24, 2014
  19. Hiya Pink!

I've got some catching up to do on your thread but wanted to get in the mix with all the other GCO blades and bladies! :wave:

20. Silly you! :D No catching up at all and I'm truly flattered. I'm watchin the things of my youth on 'tube, can't believe what I'm digging up. Technology rocks! lol. These guys were rastas of 90s for me.

http://youtu.be/Ajp0Uaw4rqo

Can you believe it Chunk :confused:  Seems like I lived at least 2 lives after that.