Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Prove me wrong!

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by woahh, May 9, 2010.

1. #1 woahh, May 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2010
    1. Marijuana kills brain cells!
    2. Marijuana causes lung cancer!
    3. Marijuana makes you lazy/stupid!
    4. Marijuana is a gateway drug!
    5. Marijuana impairs memory and cognition!
    6. Marijuana makes you violent!
    7. One joint is equal to 20 cigarettes!

Alright there are some common marijuana 'facts'. Prove me wrong Seasoned Tokers! (I am not an anti pot activist or anything, totally for MJ... high right now actually :smoking: )

+rep for someone who can intelligently answer these. (instead of yes/no answers or something)

2. [ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9077214414651731007]The Union[/ame]
    watch it.
    learn it.
    love it.

3. 1. Marijuana does kill brain cells but not nearly as much of other ilegal substances
    2. There is no scientific evidence that it does. There has been no cancer related directly to marijuana use.
    3. Lazy yes, but stupid no. there are alot of stoners that are smart out there.
    4. Marijuana itself is not a gateway drug, but the people who you get it/ hang with are. Most people try new substances because a friend introduced it. The pot didn't make them want to do it.
    5. Marijuana impairs memory to a certain degree. But it is only with long term use.
    6. From personal experience i have never seen one person under the influence of marijuana violent/ angry.
    7. I don't know all the facts about that so i don't know.
    8. cigarettes have filters. joints usually dont.

4. The Union

cuz im lazy like that.

5. beat you to the punch...

6. The only way it's a gateway drug is because it's illegal. Or when people parents lie to them. Lets talk about the first. Because it is illegal, the people dealing pot are sometimes with the people that deal heroin. Trust me I've seen it. The second is when ones parents lie and say that pot will kill you, and then when it doesn't you think they lied about cocaine and heroin too.

It kills parts of brain cells that are already dormant. Simply a part of every brain cell. There is actually studies going on trying to prove that it kills cancerous brain cells. Hope this helped.

7. #9 GanjaFreak, May 9, 2010
    I don't believe that's true..the marijuana it's self does not kill brain cells if anything kills brain cells while smoking marijuana it would be holding you hits in for to long causing lack of oxygen to the brain.

8. Also, a joint is 3 times more harmful than a cigarette but people that smoke joints don't smoke nearly as much as cigarettes, but also joints have paper. Smoke a joint's worth of weed in a bowl and that shit won't happen.

9. Haha dude, I have a feeling you don't know what you're talking about.
    :smoking:

10. awsome video :hello:

11. Lazy? I beg to differ. Who cares if it kills brain cells, I grow more intelligent with every passing day, personally. If you're lazy, you're gonna be lazy no matter what, and then look for an excuse and blame it on pot (same with dumb asses that say "Oh man, I can't remember, I smoke too much). It's like when sluts say "I only fucked around with him cause I was drunk." No, you're only looking for something to blame your promiscuity on. The rest of your questions can be answered by watching the Union.

12. wtf dude not one of those is a real fact about mj why this in seasoned tokers you honestly dont know ne thing about the drug... watch the union :smoking:

13. Weed doesn't kill brain cells, however the lack of oxygen in the brain as a result of inhaling the products of combustion is quite unforgiving on those brain cells. There was actually a test that showed loss of brain cells in mice that were given cannabis smoke. However, the scientists were forcing around 5 joints worth of smoke through masks into the poor little rat's faces. So basically a bunch of scientists discovered that not breathing oxygen causes brain damage, what a major breakthrough:confused_2: huh?

14. #16 Storm Crow, May 9, 2010
    OK baby-boy- you're on!

1. Marijuana kills brain cells!

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood (news - 2005)
    Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects (full - 2005)
    Journal of Clinical Investigation -- Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects

Neurogenesis = NEW BRAIN CELLS GROWING! Hippocampus is part of your brain. There are also studies on glioma that show THC killing the brain cancer cells, but not harming the normal brain cells.

2. Marijuana causes lung cancer! Tashkin study!

Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer (news - 2006)
    Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer: Scientific American

Marijuana Use and the Risk of Lung and Upper Aerodigestive Tract Cancers: Results of a Population-Based Case-Control Study (full - 2006)
    Marijuana Use and the Risk of Lung and Upper Aerodigestive Tract Cancers: Results of a Population-Based Case-Control Study

3. Marijuana makes you lazy/stupid!

Debunking "Amotivational Syndrome" (news - 2006)
    US: Web: Column: Debunking 'Amotivational Syndrome'

Cannabis Use Not Linked To So-Called "Amotivational Syndrome"
    (news - 2006)
    Cannabis Use Not Linked To So-Called "Amotivational Syndrome" - NORML

Cannabis, motivation, and life satisfaction in an internet sample (full - 2006)
    Cannabis, motivation, and life satisfaction in an internet sample

Plus I have used cannabis for over 40 years. LOOK at my list! I read and UNDERSTAND those studies! Plus I quilt, write, paint, sculpt, do genealogy, grow my own and work in education! LAZY??? :p

4. Marijuana is a gateway drug!

Evaluating the drug use "gateway" theory using cross-national data: Consistency and associations of the order of initiation of drug use among participants in the WHO World Mental Health Surveys. (abst - 2010)
    http://marijuana.researchtoday.net/archive/7/1/2759.htmNo

'Smoking' Gun: Research Indicates Teen Marijuana Use Does Not Predict Drug, Alcohol Abuse (news - 2006)
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/12/061204123422.htm

The Surprising Effect Of Marijuana On Morphine Dependence (news - 2009)
    The surprising effect of cannabis on morphine dependence (In fact, cannabis seems to SHUT the gate to hard drug addiction and is useful in quitting other drugs!

Cannabidiol, a Nonpsychotropic Component of Cannabis, Inhibits Cue-Induced Heroin Seeking and Normalizes Discrete Mesolimbic Neuronal Disturbances (abst - 2009)
    Cannabidiol, a Nonpsychotropic Component of Cannabis, Inhibits Cue-Induced Heroin Seeking and Normalizes Discrete Mesolimbic Neuronal Disturbances -- Ren et al. 29 (47): 14764 -- Journal of Neuroscience

Oaklanders Quitting Oxycontin with Cannabis (news - 2010)
    Oaklanders Quitting Oxycontin with Cannabis | Legalization Nation | East Bay Express

5. Marijuana impairs memory and cognition! (True, but only while actually stoned)

Current and former marijuana use: preliminary findings of a longitudinal study of effects on IQ in young adults (full - 2002)
    Current and former marijuana use: preliminary findings of a longitudinal study of effects on IQ in young adults -- Fried et al. 166 (7): 887 -- Canadian Medical Association Journal

Heavy cannabis use without long-term effect on global intelligence (news - 2002)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Endocannabinoids in the rat basolateral amygdala enhance memory consolidation and enable glucocorticoid modulation of memory (full - 2009)
    From the Cover: Endocannabinoids in the rat basolateral amygdala enhance memory consolidation and enable glucocorticoid modulation of memory

Endocannabinoids are THC-like chemicals your body makes. If endocannabinoids can do something in your body, then THC or CBD can do the same job by activating the cannabinoid receptors that the endocannabinoids normally activate!

6. Marijuana makes you violent!

Cannabis and crime: findings from a longitudinal study. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Cannabis and crime: findings from a longitudinal study. Journal article

The relationship between cannabis and violence: A review
    (abst - 1977) (If you are already violent, it doesn't always fix it!)
    ScienceDirect - Psychological Bulletin : The relationship between cannabis and violence: A review

Some go without a cigarette: characteristics of cannabis users who have never smoked tobacco. (full - 2007)
    Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med -- Some Go Without a Cigarette: Characteristics of Cannabis Users Who Have Never Smoked Tobacco, November 2007, Suris et al. 161 (11): 1042

7. Marijuana increases testosterone in women/decreases testosterone in men!

Effects of chronic marijuana use on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men and women. (abst - 1991)
    Effects of chronic marijuana use on testosterone, ... [Drug Alcohol Depend. 1991] - PubMed result

7. One joint is equal to 20 cigarettes! (8 normally follows 7! :p )

This study compares the effects of not smoking, smoking only cannabis, smoking cannabis and tobacco and smoking tobacco in people with COPD.

Smoking Pot, Cigarettes Ups COPD Risk (news - 2009)
    Smoking Pot, Cigarettes Ups COPD Risk

Look at the numbers-

• The incidence of COPD among participants who smoked cigarettes alone was 2.7 times higher than among nonsmokers.
    • The incidence of COPD was 2.9 times higher among participants with a history of smoking both cigarettes and pot, even after controlling for other risk factors for the pulmonary disease.
    • COPD risk among people who smoked marijuana, but not tobacco, was slightly higher than among nonsmokers, but the increase was not statistically significant
    2.9 - 2.7 = .2 And that is the damage cannabis causes!

Marijuana and chronic obstructive lung disease: a population-based study
    (full - 2009)
    Marijuana and chronic obstructive lung disease: a population-based study

Effects of cannabis on lung function: a population-based cohort study.
    (abst - 2010)
    Effects of cannabis on lung function: a population... [Eur Respir J. 2010] - PubMed result

I am assuming that you are one heck of a freakin' lazy dude who has a report to write. :p Now go read the REST of my list (linked in my sig) and EDUCATE YOURSELF! And stop being so dang lazy! Pot is NO EXCUSE for laziness!

Granny

15. no...it doesn't, dont answer his question if you dont know what your talking about please:)

16. #18 woahh, May 9, 2010
    Thanks for the replies guys.

And to clear things up; I already knew the answers to all of my questions, and I've seen the union twice (before this). Why did I ask them then? ..I don't know, I was high and I just wanted to see what you guys would say haha. and no I don't have a report to write haha

peace.