Pros and cons

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by davidp0326, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Can't anyone over 21 legally grow 6 plants now? Why wouldn't they take advantage of that knowing the money that still can be made? Just pop em in your backyard, and around oct enjoy the money. And in Wa, ore, colorado everyone has insane access to it. People just give away clones around here to anyone. You can grab seeds off bags or order em. Getting plants is not that hard.

2. [quote name='"ruffstylez"']Can't anyone over 21 legally grow 6 plants now? Why wouldn't they take advantage of that knowing the money that still can be made? Just pop em in your backyard, and around oct enjoy the money. And in Wa, ore, colorado everyone has insane access to it. People just give away clones around here to anyone. You can grab seeds off bags or order em. Getting plants is not that hard.[/quote]

I don't doubt you. But the elderly population and older adults may not want to or know how to go through black market channels. Also, I'd love the convienece of getting it at a store, regardless of price. Growing it isn't as easy for everybody, everybody doesn't even have backyards... So maybe itd be easier for you and the people you know but that certainly does not mean everybody... Even when you say everybody has insane access, no, they do not. Im just trying to help you not generalize, which you shouldn't do in this situation or any other...

3. I think you, and a lot of other people, are exaggerating just how much of an impact taxes will have. Let's break it down.

Grower sells to processor for $100

$100 x 25% tax($25) = $125

Assume the processor doubles the price for profit and sells to retailer:

$250 x 25% tax($62) = $312

Retailer doubles price and sells to consumer:

$625 x 25% tax($156)= $781

Total price:$781

Taxes: $243

Without taxes:$538

Tax rate for marijuana industry: 31%

Add sales tax:781+ 6.5% state sales tax= $831

Total tax paid:$293

Pre-tax cost:$5.38

Overall retail tax rate= 54%

So, assuming that the grower sells at $100 an ounce($1600 a pound) and the price is doubled at every step the end consumer will buy cannabis at a little under $30 a gram.

Now, let's say that the grower and the processor are the same person. This will prevent a significant portion of the tax and the overall cost. I would imagine that in Washington that is what will happen(much like in California). Especially as that means that you will have one less step of price doubling and taxes. This will reduce prices to less than $15 a gram.

I'll be frank. If I could get legal cannabis at $30 a gram I would dance in the streets.

4. Dudes i dont care if weed is legal if it costs more than what i get it for illegally im going to stick to my connects haha

5. i think you'd see more prerolled joints like packs of cigs.. brownies and liquids on the shelves. not just grams of weed sold out of gas stations

6. [quote name='"flyingMYplane"']i think you'd see more prerolled joints like packs of cigs.. brownies and liquids on the shelves. not just grams of weed sold out of gas stations[/quote]

Oh yes, thered be edibles.. Lots and lots of edibles!

7. I'll be following along to see what stipulations and rules there will be. I've been wanting to move to somewhere I can legally grow for a while now. Everytime someone pulls in my drive I'm up and to the door like a Jamaican track runner. I do this to give myself extra critical seconds incase the worst happens. It would be nice to not have to hide it so much. I may just sit my camper on my truck and drive across the country to visit you Colorado tokers if all works out for you. Anyone know where I can park a slide in camper that has electric hookups? Lol.

8. [quote name='"flyingMYplane"']25% tax for growing, 1000 dollar annual tax for growing, 25% for packaging, another 25% for distributing...

the black market isnt going anywhere[/quote]

Thank you for staying on topic. So even with it being legal. Do you think more will still go through their dealer instead of over a counter?

9. You can literally just walk into a hydro shop and buy plants. No card, no questions asked. I just got 30 plants from the guy who took me to his warehouse 2 days ago. Even if someone didn't want to grow or couldn't, there is nothing stopping them from having someone else grow there 6 plants, right? Its like a much worse situation then what we have already with card stacking. I live with 4 people over 21, so I could legally grow 24 plants at a time? What about my other house, that has 7 more? Another 42 plants? As long as each person takes credit for there 6 I'd be all legal? What if I made contracts with people saying I was growing there 6. I could then give them a year supply, or if they didn't smoke I could just offer them x amount of cash to basicly buy there 6 plants as long as they agree that they are theres if someone comes asking. Legally growing 300+ plants a time without the hassle of card stacking? The black markets going to be going strong.

10. [quote name='"ruffstylez"']
    Even if someone didn't want to grow or couldn't, there is nothing stopping them from having someone else grow there 6 plants, right? .[/quote]

Uh yeah there is......not everybody has people to grow for them, read my previous responses. Stop generalizing you are just making yourself look stupid.

11. I mean like, legally. There is nothing stopping me from growing 6 of my moms plants, 6 of my dads, 6 of my sisters, 6 of this persons etc. Correct? That is what the whole post was about. How instead of needing to be multiple peoples medical grower you can just take the 6 plants they can legally grow and flood the market.

12. Here it comes...

[​IMG]

13. i think bottom line is price.. always has been always will be. if i were in one of these two states and my connect could get me better deals i would go through him.. im not going to buy legal weed at a higher price, for the sake of the state engulfing someones profit margin

14. [quote name='"flyingMYplane"']

i think bottom line is price.. always has been always will be. if i were in one of these two states and my connect could get me better deals i would go through him.. im not going to buy legal weed at a higher price, for the sake of the state engulfing someones profit margin[/quote]

I think the bottom line is... Someone is gonna get very wealthy off this.

15. i think he has a point. if you have plants you can find a gardener. probably could just pay them in weed.

16. There would also be openings for state border patrol concerning weed.

17. Someone might have said this already, but I need to get going, so I'll be lazy and not read everything.

Here's my piece. I'm not sure how it works in Colorado, but I've been looking at the Washington law, and it won't eliminate the black market. That's a con, but I think the way to look at this is that it's a big milestone. Recreational use is now legal in two states. The laws are broken, sure, but legalization has gone through. Now it's easier to have the discussion of how to fix it.

18. [quote name='"GanjaRastamanBo"']

i think he has a point. if you have plants you can find a gardener. probably could just pay them in weed.[/quote]

My point is this isn't true... This is called generalizing. Look it up. I don't know what you guys don't get, just because something is easy for you and your peers doesn't mean its easy for EVERYBODY...........

That is all I was trying to say, and people are still trying to say Im wrong?!?!! Why don't you tell Webster he's wrong too..........

19. All I'm saying is if I wanted to make a deal with 50 people to get there 6 plants I could. Anyone *should* be able to do that and anyone who was a decent sized grower before on the black market will continue to be, and now they will just be legal by using other peoples plants. By allowing people to grow there own legally they set up a situation that feeds the black market even more. I'll likely grow 100 plants in washington next year at my place and be perfectly legal. If I can, anyone can. I just fail to see how offering to grow for someone or give them some sort of cash for the 6 plants they can legally have is difficult. They have no law preventing me from going up to you on the street and making some sort of offer to grow your plants for you.

20. [quote name='"ruffstylez"']All I'm saying is if I wanted to make a deal with 50 people to get there 6 plants I could. Anyone *should* be able to do that and anyone who was a decent sized grower before on the black market will continue to be, and now they will just be legal by using other peoples plants. By allowing people to grow there own legally they set up a situation that feeds the black market even more. I'll likely grow 100 plants in washington next year at my plants and be perfectly legal. If I can, anyone can. I just fail to see how offering to grow for someone or give them some sort of cash for the 6 plants they can legally have is difficult. They have no law preventing me from going up to you on the street and making some sort of offer to grow your plants for you.[/quote]

Not everybody has this opprotunity though... I worked at a nursing home for years and some people never got visitors... Im not trying to be a bitch here, I just know that this opprotunity would not be available for everybody. Legally yes but technically no...

Even adults with mental illnesses have a hard time talking to people sometimes due to anxiety or could even be agoraphobic and not leave their house at all and would need somebody to pick up their medications for them...

Im a social worker and have worked with many populations and have seen reasons first hand why that wouldnt happen or be possible.. Sorry if I came off as a bitch, I just wanted you to think about others situations and not assume everybody has it as easy as you..