Propylene Glycol THC Tincture Recipe by me

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Tetsuol, Jun 29, 2009.

1. I plan on doing the same thing in a few weeks too, i'll try to let you guys know the results.

Greetings from Belgium. :)

2. Is there any way to make this on a smaller scale?...say with..like a quarter? maybe a half oz? lol..or extra stems?
    Smaller Scale man. I don't wanna do this every single time I toke. lol. Maybe just have a bottle for when I'm outta buds or something.
    I'm sure I could make hash out of stems, and then use the Hash to make some Tincture. just a thought.

3. The recipe works extremely well in my new VMOD

4. did anyone ever try squeezing the tincture from the cheesecloth with a vise and two pieces of wood covered in plastic?

5. This is an old thread but interesting info. I'm an ecig user and I use the tank system. The ego T 510 cigar. Wondering if I could try this but I might take a slightly different approach by bottling the oil in a tincture bottle that screens it as you pour, putting just enough oil to cover the bud in the jar, and leaving it on my oven to brew for a while. Its cap is vented so it will be heated often and likely evap a little. Wondering if this would work without the worry of decomp, lets say for 2 weeks. Then I could pour enough out to fill a cart (5ml) and leave it sit and just add more bud or shake and a little more PG/VG everyso often so it heightens potency as it sits..

Amazing I never thought to look into this all the years I've used ecigs but thus is great. I do have to wonder if the potency/amount is comparable to what you put into it in the long run...

6. Thank you for all of the wonderful information everyone. I recently became interested in vaporizing hash oil a couple of weeks ago after picking up a Mistic e-cig from a gas station. Impressed by how it worked, I immediately began looking into ways to make the PG tincture required for vaporizing. Before discovering this thread I had discovered some suggestions that mixing hash oil with PG SHOULD work, but no one had ever tried it. I followed a recipe for making hash oil which involved using acetone as a solvent. It worked well, and the acetone dissolved quickly, leaving a dark, sticky residue in the bottom of the dish. My thoughts were that, since PG is an alcohol, I could just dissolve the hash oil directly into it. Actually I was using a house PG/VG blend I ordered online, but I figured that it would work okay. Most of you already see this coming, but I scraped and stirred, trying to blend it, but to no avail. Eventually I scraped the PG/VG and hash oil together into the dropper bottle the PG/VG had come in, hoping it would just dissolve slowly.

After stumbling across this thread I realized that I needed the heat to get the PG/VG and hash oil to combine, so I dropped the bottle into a glass of water and microwaved it, to get the double-boiler effect, but once it cooled, I had the same problem that some of you had--the oil would eventually separate from the PG/VG. Determined to get a workable solution, I continued double-boiling my tincture, and I found success by shaking the bottle constantly as it cooled. I still had some of the oil stick to the inside of the bottle, but it was considerably less than before. I had initially thought that a slow-cooling process would work better, but I found that rapid-cooling (I wrapped the bottle in a gel-ice pack) was VERY effective in preventing separation. I now have a bottle containing a solution (actually I think it is more of a suspension--I can see the tiny particulates in it) of hash oil in PG/VG. One person noted that he used a centrifuge to separate the particulates, but I would be afraid that this would reduce the potency, although it would likely lengthen the life of the atomizer.

I used about 7 grams of high-grade marijuana, which yielded (I'm guessing) about 3/4 gram of potent hash oil, mixed with 7-10 ml of PG/VG, and I have been putting the tincture in a 510-T e-cig. The next time I make it, I plan to use the same hash oil recipe, but instead of scraping the oil into the PG/VG bottle, I intend to add the PG/VG to the baking dish with the hash oil layer on the bottom and then heat it double-boiler style for several hours. Then while it is still somewhat hot, I will pour it into the dropper bottle, wrap an ice pack and shake a few minutes until cool. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome!

7. I have about 2 grams of keif , can i use some PG to dissolve it and put in my e cigs?

8. and do i have to heat it up??

9. I got my new 510-t in the post today, but it is a xmas gift from my wife so can get it out of the box till then argh... :-(
    I plan on making some tincture from this recipe a few days before then, so I can have a try on the day.
    Should make it quite interesting if it comes out ok.
    I am a little worried about how thick the juice will become as will be using it in the tank, as my last ordinary attie fell apart on me today, but am of the belief that using 100% PG it should't be too bad.

I will post back in a couple of weeks after my experiments.

10. So I went to make some tincture on sunday and found out my cat James had made some of his own and used all the ingredients so I couldn't. James explained his recipe to me which went like this:
    first he finely chopped up about 4 grammes of bud (he wasn't very impressed with the quality but said it wasn't the worst he'd had)
    He then used a measuring spoon that measured 2.4 ml to add PG till he thought it looked about right which ended up being 7 spoons (he says that the mix looked like a paste, and you must make sure that every piece of bud is wet, there will be some liquid pooling on the bottom this is ok)
    Next my cat placed the metal bowl into a pan of water on the stove but it was a gas stove and it was too hot. So he pulled out a slow cooker and set up a water bath in there.
    Then with a plate on top of the metal bowl and no lid on the slow cooker he started heating. James said there were 3 heat settings to choose from low, high, and warm. He chose low to start with and let it stew for about 6 hours stirring thoroughly every hour, and making sure the water bath was still wet. after this time my cat decided it had not been going for long enough but had to go to bed, so topped up the water gave the mix one last stir and turned the slow cooker down to warm and left it over night.
    Then in the morning at about 9 so after 15 hours in total being heated james strained the juice through some cheese cloth into a pyrex jug then poured into a 15 ml eye dropper bottle that ended up nearly full.
    He said he hasn't tried the tincture as intended yet but after swilling out the the bowl and the pyrex jug (which only had a tiny amount of residue left in them) with the beer he was drinking at the time, he got a very pleasant slightly euphoric high about 35 to 45 minuets afterwards akin to an ordinary edible although it only lasted about 2 hours, but my cat feels that for the tiny amount he had this was totally acceptable.
    James has told me that he can't wait till he gets to try his juice in my 510 on christmas day and will inform me as soon as he does so I can post an update for him, he has a good feeling that it will work a treat but only time will tell :)

11. Forgot to mention that the juice my cat made up turned out an attractive dark golden green and the leftovers in the cheese cloth looked drained and brown (like all the goodies had been removed).

12. ... and did James have a Merry Christmas?

My dog is interested in trying this with a gram or two to start with... he seems to think that looks a reasonable amount to use with 20ml PG? Is he being too much of a scrouge?

13. Hey Jayne James did have a good one, and would like to say sorry for not posting results sooner, we have been on holiday...
    Any way we would say that 20ml to 1 or 2 grams would be way to much (it would be too weak). James used 16ml to about 4 grams and after experimenting that seems to be about right maybe a little too much but only just.
    So:
    1 gram would only require about 4ml which is where the problem lies with small amounts 4ml is a really small amount of liquid to recover.
    James thinks that 2 grams of really nice bud (emphasis on REALLY NICE) and 8ml pg would be the best to start with, although you have to be careful not to waste any as there is not much to loose.

As far as results from my cats first experiment goes, he found that the tincture was not very strong (enough to keep a high going if he had an analog first, but not really good enough to start with). He puts this down mainly to the poor quality of the bud he had been saddled with, which did exactly the same thing. And possibly using slightly too much pg, but thinks this is not the main contributor as the effect was very similar to smoking the bud normally.
    Also he found that because it is pure pg the mix was quite thin and no good for a tank system and had to resort to a drip tip which turned out to be purrfect :D as he could occasionally put one drop of 100% vg in to get a slightly more rounded vape.

James said that he plans to have another try in the near future and this time will make sure it is made with really good stuff.
    Also he has told me that a 6v mod e-cig like the indulgence with a high voltage atty is apparently the way to go so I might get him one for his birthday if he can prove he can make a strong enough batch.

14. My dog has had to have a rethink with regards to quantity. He had found a 100ml Round Bottom Flask next to his stash of bones, but clearly even this will be too large for such a small amount!
    He says that he will be nice to the postman for a change, and see if he will bring him a petri dish instead.

It isn't particularly a knock-out blow he says he wants to make the first time, just something that can be enjoyed through the course of the day.

15. Yeah the full knock out is not exactly what James is aiming for, but something that he can have a little puff on every so often and get a little high with. Basically the same as smoking a small joint but without the smoking, as he really enjoys a good toke on the weekends but can't keep smoking because of the health issues.

As far as what to do it in as long as it is smooth enough not to hold any liquid it should be ok. I have attached a pic of the stainless steel mixing bowl out of the kitchen that James used which he thinks is great because of the high sides to help with setting up a water bath, and the flat bottom to spread the bud out to try increase the surface area in contact with the liquid.

He actually put this bowl into another exactly the same but about an inch bigger in diameter with sponge in the bottom to reduce the chance of tipping over (and eliminate direct contact with heated surfaces, ensuring heat was evenly distributed), filled the outer bowl with water and put the lot in the slow cooker then filled the slow cooker with water until just BEFORE the outer bowl started floating. Your flask may even be better in this regard because the weight should be more centralized thus reducing the chance of a tip over (play around with it to find the correct balance in the water bath before you put any mix in just in-case though)

The cigarette lighter in front is an ordinary lighter just to give an idea of the size, I don't know how many ml's the bowl holds in total I would guess roughly 300/400, but I am told it worked a treat.

Hope this helps, let me know how your pup gets on.

Attached Files:

16. propylene gylcol is rather toxic dont ya think? Lots of info saying stay away from it in shampoo and shit....

here's a link if anyone is interested

What is Propylene Glycol?

17. Would heating it at a lower temperature (for a longer time, perhaps?) be beneficial?

For example, 43c / 110f?
    Or is higher temperature than this necessary?

18. Thanks for the advice guys.

Just a thought, could using rice cooker instead of a hob be a safer way to go? These electric boilers can be set to an exact temp as they have an inbuilt thermostat, eliminateing the possibility boiling off the THC,... and any guesswork.

I know that this method is used in the production of cannabis oil, as you can boil off the solvent, (useually alcohol or butane) without the risk of reaching the solvents flashpoint, and also in the case of gas hobs, no source of ignition to the solvent vapour.

Any thoughts?

19. Yes using an appliance that can accurately monitor temperature would be ideal, as it is critical that it doesn't get too hot and destroy all your lovely hard work. the only problem I can think of with a rice cooker would be that it is not sealed because you font really want any fluid loss through evaporation because you are not trying to concentrate the liquid like when making oil, though I'm sure you could jerry rig some sort of solution. Possibly just starting with slightly more PG than you need to compensate for evap. Just be sure not to let it dry out.

To jayne sorry for the late reply,
    I'm not sure if increasing the time would make much difference because we are dealing with such small amounts. There are some fairly accurate temperature notes earlier in this thread, as long as you are below the boiling point of thc you can pretty much leave it for as long as you want, as long as you don't let it dry out, but I think after about 8 hours it should be as done as it can get.

20. I would highly recommend this method from Gentleman's Brand Online Store - they have GIANT ego cartridges for 2$ and bulk PG/VG blends with light flavoring to offset the nuggy smell.

1. pour PG/VG blend into a mason jar
    2. heat it, either with a hot plate, sonic bath, etc. to about 115degrees
    3. pour in about an equal amount of oil, wax, some kind of full melt
    4. homogenize the liquid:
    in the HEAT of the moment. literally, while its still really warm, use either a emulsifier wand, a mixer, or just put the cap on and shake it with all your might to make one thick yellow goo.
    5. drop cartridges in, without mouth caps, all at once in the jar while IT IS STILL HOT. WHEN IT COOLS IT WILL SEPARATE because this is over the limit of glycol to hold.
    thats okay. just shake them up into the cartridges WHLIE ITS ALL STILL TOGETHER.
    if it "cools and separates" after the carts are full, the excess glycol will come out, not the oil.

I personally do about 20 at a time, just get them their, and 1 pint of liquid, about 15 grams of oil i make myself, shake it up up up, let them dry, clean them off so they arent sticky, and bam
    im set for about a month.

also with the double agent pen, you can get these carts REALLY warm - thick hits.

also, I wouldnt use PG only, definitely a blend. PG has a higher HOLD rate of thc, so more people choose it, not realizing it doesnt need to hold, it just needs to be a carrier for a few moments of filling. VG adds sweetness, thickness, smoothness, and a greater mouth feel.