proper ventilation for a tent grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by peebygeeby, Dec 17, 2010.

1. I'm growing in a 4X4 tent. At the top of my tent I have a carbon filter with ducting attached to it. The ducting feeds through a hole near the top of the tent and I have a vortex fan connected to the end of the ducting ( outside the tent).

Here's my question. I'm assuming that I must bring fresh air into the tent. I am also assuming that this air can't be the same air in the room that is being vented from the tent. So, I'm going to have to vent air in to the tent from outside the room. If all these assumptions are correct, Can I just have air flowing into the tent via ducting. Or, am I going to also have to install another vortex fan to actively pull air into the tent. I am thinking that the one fan pulling the used air out will create sort of a vacuum effect which will illiminate the need for and extra intake fan.

Appreciate any help you can give with this.

2. ive got a 2.5x2.5 tent.. what cfm is your fan

i have flaps inside my tent that allow for passive intake when opened. i only have 2 out of the 3 open. no need for an intake

i am exhausting my tent in the closet back into the same room, which isnt a good thing but its working.

3. if u can cool the air to 78 and add CO2 u can keep ur room sealed,

4. i wouldnt reccommend using the same air that your venting out directly back into the tent, if i was you to elimatine some of the noise, have your fan connected to the carbon filter directly ducting out of the tent and just have a small intake fan at the bottom of the tent. that should suffice.. hope i helped :hello::hello:

5. How big is the room you have your tent in? Remember, heat rises and that is the reason the intake vents are close to the floor.

As long as you have your tent in a fairly large room (bedroom) and the air temp in the bedroom is lower than that in the tent, you should be just fine without having to run any ducting to pull in fresh air.

6. idk what your size is, but my setup is a tent in a spare bedroom closet
    i can shut the closet door and just use the vents as intake, and for outtake the fan just puts the air back into the room outside of the closet door.

i was able to keep temps below 80 until recently when i put the screen up for my scrog getting ready for flowering .

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 halitzor, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
    C'mon people.. have you ever even used a grow tent? You can't seal it.....

The most effective way to cool a tent is to have a powered exhaust and vent the exhaust FAR AWAY from the tent, preferably outside or into a different room all together. If you're venting hot air into the room where your tent is, the tent is passively sucking in that same already heated air.....

The only way to make the above work is if you're running AC into the room where you're exhausting hot air.

The simplest way to cool a tent is to let the tent use passive intake (pretty much every single one ever made has passive intake flaps built around the bottom....) and to exhaust hot air from the top of the tent to outside or to a different room.

I was able to run over 800 watts in a 4x4x6 tent by doing this before temps got out of control.

Here's the best way to cool your tent if you don't have AC.

Attached Files:

8. i vent my air back into my room (in the roof though) because there is no way to get ducting out of the spare room. with enough fans like mine you can keep the temps low, or get yourself an air cooled light.

9. You don't have to worry about venting in from another room. My grow tent is in my closet in my bedroom. My exhaust is the same as yours. Carbon filter in the tent,then through my cool tube, then up to my squirrel cage fan that sits up top outside the tent and just exhausts into the closet.

All I have for intake is the intake flap at the bottom open. It pulls air in from the bedroom. Temps are right on, and my plants get ton of fresh air. When I need fresh air in my room I open a window. Instant fresh air. In the summer I air condition toe room.

Check my current grow link in my sig. Doesn't look like they are suffering too much does it? Hot air rises anyway, so the intake air is fresh air coming from the room. As long as you have a window in the room, just open an intake flap on your tent and you are good to go.

10. Well in my room there is a huge gap beneath the door and the ac vent is right next to the grow tent. Is that ok? Also 6" vortex fan 1000 watt hps decreased to 600. And carbon filter and insulated venting attached to fan and filter.

11. is the squirrel fan on top over kill though? I believe a 6" inline duct fan should be enough.

12. It wasn't overkill but yes, an inline fan would work as well. I am in a bigger tent now with proper exhaust up into the attic and out thru a dryer vent and I am using a 6" inline fan for that exhaust chain.

13. #13 buckethead129, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
    IMG_20160514_011225.jpg Here's my basic idea of venting ACd air into bottom tent intake w 6" booster fan as a helper through ducting. (Originally my exhaust.. 25$ about 6" inline off Amazon.. Screw that. I'm dropping the 80$ on a mountable good inline exhaust w speed control.. Have a great spot to vent hot, stale air to.. Thoughts? Ideas,? IMG_20160514_011253.jpg