Proper fan controller for Sunleaves Windtunnel

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by johncain1, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Got the VSC-DNe, it's awesome and seems quality. I have greater stability with my temps as well as not wasting electricity.

2. I have a sunleaves 4" unit. It kicks ass.

I tried one of those speedsters on my fan and I thought I fried it. It made a terrible humming noise and you could tell that in no time you would have a destroyed unit

So what I did to control my high temps in my 79 cu ft grbox was to adjust the size of my inlet hole with duck tape. Works great!!

3. I may have had to do that had I not found something that would throttle it properly, but this thing works great and it saves a little bit of electricity as well as cuts down on noise production since the unit is barely running anymore

Good stuff!

4. This is very close to what I have on my soler palau td 150. I got mine with the fan for free from the company I order the fan from but it is a nice controller. It also has an adjustable setting for the low end so you can set it to prevent the fan from stalling. It is solid state and can be used with just about any motor. As for wiring it that simple you can either wire it directly to the fan or can wire it up to a plug (make sure you mark the plug lol) and then plug the fans into that. I am considering getting a heavier amp on and hooking it up to plugs that way I can control multiple oscillating fans with it.

KB Electronics AC Motor, DC Motor Drives & Fan Speed Controls: KB Electronics Fan Speed Controls (Triac): Wall Mounted Motor Fan Controls
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Variable-Speed-Control-K177-1002/dp/B000F9B712/ref=pd_cp_hi_3"][/ame]

5. Did you call htgs? I just ordered a six" inline from them and was thinking about that controller, im goin to have to figure something out thats for sure. I cant really afford to go buy a nice controller so ill try by putting a dampener on my intake.

6. i have the htg 6 inch fan with speed controller.

and i get no hum and have been running it about a month now

7. im pretty sure as long as you bought both products from htg then youd probably be ok. if it shorted out or burned the motor up they would definitely be replacing my shit lol. I havent had anybody fuck me around like that with something that they put their name on so im not too worried.

8. I use one of these:

VSC-DNE - Day/Night Fan Speed Controller | Fan Accessories

Keep in mind though, when talking electrical components there is NEVER zero risk of an electrical fire. Anything you plug into a socket carries that risk.

9. Thanks, that's what I've been using and I really like it. Well worth it IMO in comparison to the cheapO speedmaster and etc

10. Ah, cool. Guess I should have read ALL the comments prior to posting.

Glad it is working well for you.

11. hmm so I noticed This Vsc Dne fan is sold out alot now and getting good reviews. I just got my sunleaves and am in this exact scenario.

I too bought the speedster and heard my fan frying by the second. so back to the store that went.

Does the vsc Dne just turn the fan on full blast when it detects the preset temperature?

I'm considering ordering this one because I dont really see many other options right now. I want teh fan on at half speed all the time not full speed some of the time.

So are there any confirmed actual fan speed controllers out there?

12. wow so I reread the first line of the description..

"The VSC-DNe is designed to gradually increase or decrease the speed of centrifugal fans depending on the day or night temperature set-points."

and this "The built in photocell will automatically sense day or night and adjust the speed of your fan accordingly."

man I must have been in a daze when I read over that feel pretty stupid now.

So it does adjust the fans speed to customize your temp and is confirmed to work well with the sunleaves wind tunnel???

well thats pretty sweet I'll probably order this tomorrow.

13. get the vsc-dne working with the windtunnel? looking at it for the 4" version

14. ttt for more info, please.I'm also looking at a 4" WT and would like to know. 

15. #35 tstick, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
    For anyone still interested in this subject….I did quite a bit of research on the Speedster controls and inline fans. I found that there were just too many reports of some Speedsters NOT working well with some inline fans. It has to do with the way the Speedster controls utilize a technology that, basically, turns the motor on and off in very rapid sequence….and, in doing so, causes some fan motors to overheat.

So, I bit the bullet and bought a Variac switch...[​IMG]

Not only does the Variac look cool (imo)…but it works flawlessly with the Sunleaves Wind Tunnel 6" inline fan that I opted for. It works on some kind of technology that varies the amount of power going to the fan motor. In short: No hum. No heat. No weird smell. I feel like Dr. Frankenstein whenever I adjust the fan speed!

16. I use this exact same unit. Love it and would never use anything less. Highly recommend them to anyone willing to invest a few extra bucks. I agree to about looking cool, it's my favorite toy in the grow room haha