problems w/ ph?? Please help

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by familymaninak, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Hey guys im having some isues with my ph and ppm rising up on a daily basis. Im using an ebb and flow setup with humbolt nutes/gh ph up/down, hydroton right now the plants are small so they are under t5s. anyways everymornin when i check the ph it is usually back up to around 7 ish and the ppm usually rises 50-100 ppm. like i said the plants are still small so they dont seem to be drinkin lots of water right now. oh yeah i dont have an air stone in my res yet could this be part of the problem?? any tips/tricks/ ideas are appreciated

2. Did you rinse your hydroton real good. I have had problems when using hydroton in my drip system with the PH rising daily. Now, if I do use hydroton (i mix it 25-75 with higromite) I will soak the hydriton in water at PH 4-5 for 48 to 72 hours! This resolved the problem for me.

Good Luck!

3. Is this a brand new grow? I think your issues are typical for new set ups. Also if you have high temps the Ph will fluctuate daily. You want the res at 68f (even thou I have never seen 68f)
    It will get better, just stay vigilant and keep on top of them.
    Also, I almost for got, the smaller your res, the more it will go up daily.
    Get an airstone in ASAP!!!!! TONIGHT!!!

4. yup everythings brand new and the res is only like 14 gal and i plan on getting a stone in there 2night thanks for the help guys sounds like its mostly due to a new system and a smaller res guess ill just have to keep an eye on it oh yeah the temp of my res was 23 celcius so i think thats right around the 68 farenheit i havent really played w my tester alot and its all metric so gotta work on that too lol.

5. I had problems with the ph as well when i used striaght tap water. Since then i let more water then i need sit out for a few days to a week to get rid of the clorine and reach room temp before i even check the ph. The day before i use it a ph neutral it then check the next day to make sure it stayed balanced and use. Its incredably simple and stoped my problem in its tracks, I guess the clorine disapating from the water was off setting my ph or something.
    Oh yeah, diddo 77401, Get that air stone! its never to early i doubt you can have to much oxygen, its not only great for the roots its good to help keep your nutrients from turning to sludge in your res. I am actually thinking of getting off the money sometime to buy one of those fancy circle airstones from the petstore and putting it in the center of my res that would be cool. Hope this helps and have a good one.

6. hey thanx 13th the water i use is well water so no chlorine there i dont think. anyways i need to change the water in my resevior again cuz i guess i didnt rinse the hydroton good enough and my water is all brown again from the rocks 2nd time i changed it in a week so if you ever use those stones wash those little fuckers really good and soak em or somethin or both

7. Could not have said it better myself :).

I am also on a well and I had to install a RO Filter. My PH was ok (7.4) but my PPM was over 400! Too much crap in the water. The RO Filter brought it down to 7 and 80. Much better.

23C is almost 74F - a little too hot - you want to be around 20C

Good luck!