Problems flowering my mutant plant

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by case22, Jul 10, 2012.

1. #1 case22, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    Shit, just lost about 30 min of writeup. Here we go again, but more brief.

I had been toying around with this mutant plant I though was bound to die. Well I did something right because after losing all but a hand full of single blade leaves, it is alive once again. So new hopes of bud, I need some help getting her back in action.

(really wish I hadn't lost all that writing)

My current conditions are:
    Strain: Nirvana Northern Lights
    Temp: 73-86F
    RH: 35-52%
    Nutes: 400ppm MaxiBloom (this includes 120ppm from tap)
    Feeding: 7 min of heavy drip twice a day
    Light: 240w BS about 6inches from top.

Here is a BRIEF background on the plant. Started flowering it in late April, got some bud sites by mid May. The plant had been through hell twice before I put her in flowering. Pics are on 4-15, notice dieing leaves. From here the leaves continued to die off, but then it threw out a bunch of single bladed leaves surrounding the colas, cool. The three top colas stretched about 6 inches and began to fill in at about the same rate as the new single blade leaves began to die off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All along I had been messing with nute levels to try and fix it. After all but a hand full of leaves had died off I landed on 400ppm twice a day and it exploded (relative to its most recent action). The top colas began stretching again and throwing off lots of side branches, and the lower branches began shooting up to just about the height of the tops.

Here it is today, still sickly, but I am even starting to see some three blade leaves on the new growth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New growth looks healthy (in the eyes of a novice) aside from a slight to moderate yellowing between the veins on the lower branches, a slight yellowing of new growth, and a different yellowing on the top leaves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top most leaves are showing a different yellowing, I have been raising the light frequently in the last week since it just keeps stretching. Could this be light burn (it got within an inch of the light while I was out of town last week) or just another deficiency?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading through this long post. If I left any valuable info out, just ask and I will reply. If anyone notices anything I did not, please point it out to me as I am trying desperately to learn this art.

Any info, thoughts, opinions, criticism, horoscopes, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Peace!

2. Do you know that plant looks like that because it has revegged? If so, was that deliberate?

Personally I'd think about using it for clones and starting again with a proper run. If you are going to flower her out, you need to do some serious trimming.

Like I say, if that was mine, I wouldn't even consider flowering it out as it is now. I'd either continue it's vegetative growth and train it to a screen, or use it as clone material and start again. You'll yield a lot more doing either of those things than you will just flowering her as she is.

3. Good input. I was wondering if it had re vegged. Its just so strange since its been under 12/12 since April (crazy, huh). Possibly a defense so it didn't die when it lost all its leaves?

I have been toying with the idea of a small SOG from clones or a single plant SCROG for my next grow, I guess this would be a good opportunity to try one of those methods.

4. Is that your only plant? If so, I'm guessing your grow area is not light proof.

5. Yeah, aside from the cutting I took of her, she is all I have got going.

Come to think of it, I did mess with my intake a while back, its very possible that I didn't get it sealed back up. I will crawl in later today and do the hand test again.

6. With your nutes @ 400 and water @ 120 your total ppm of nutrients are 280 ppm.I think 400 is a little low for a flowering plant. It looks like they need more P to tighten those buds up. Maybe some liguid koolbloom would help or, use the recommended dose for maxibloom.
    P could be getting locked out from ph and would check the ph @ the soil level 2/3 downl and make sure your within the proper ph range and adjust if need be.

They do look like their in re veg but, in my experience if from a light leak would show signs of being hermie...Just be sure their is no light leak....

I was using the maxibloom and had terrible luck. Also was using 2-240 watt led's. I changed the light on four potted plants to a 400 watt hid and the plants are doing much better. Still using the led's for the 2 in autopots but, changed my nutes to cns17. Not much change in the autopots so figure the led's were a waste of good $$$.....

7. No doubt about it.

By the way, that's not a light leak, that's a full on light cycle change. I don't know how that came about but you have to look further into it than doing a hand test. My guess is you'll be able to read a book in there. Contrary to what people think, cannabis doesn't need complete blackness to flower, just like it doesn't in the wild. The light has got to be full on enough to make the plant wake up, and it doesn't get that through a pin prick.

That's a full on reveg you've got there mate, so yeah, use that plant for clones and go with your SOG idea and you'll only lose a couple of weeks.

8. pH checked out (though I only pinched a little from about 1.5 inches down to make my slurry because I did not want to mess up the roots too much)

The light leak was a little more than a pin prick, I couldn't read a book in there, but I could make out the corners of the room and my hand.

The plant is back under 24/0 along with 6 clones, once I have chosen the 4 I am going to flower, I'm going to chop mama down and toss one of the other clones in her pot for a new mom.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this post!

9. i like what you did here

if i was you i would have polinated a branch, duno if you did.

i say this, coz there is far as as i understand either an extra gene in your plant, or one missing.

keeping the genes alive for selection, can lead to interesting cross breeding, contrary to what so many people say about these plants.

sure they are use-full if you are a breeder, but if by chance, life hands you a key, its your choice to find the lock it fits to, or simply use it for what it is to enjoy the now of life, or do what others do, chuck it away and find a new one

Alternatively, you could take this as a quest and get the lock, find out if it was a total waste of time, 99% of the time it is. but yours seems to have been somin unique!!

i basically would give you a six pack of the finest beer for this, but cant....

it must have been quite time consuming caring for this precious little girl?...:smoke:

10. Yeah it was a pit of a pain. Right now I have 6 clones vegging. They have reverted back to 7 blade leaves. I though I had stressed the plant enough to mess up the genetics, but after a few weeks veg, they started sprouting more blades. They will probably throw out single bladed leaves during flower though.