Problem with height - Solution: trimming?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jack235, Jul 7, 2006.

1. my plant is growing very rapidly and is now 90cm , which is around 35.5 inches. the problem i am encountering is that my HPS light should have a distance of about 50cm, which is around 20 inches from the plant if i remember correctly.
    My light howver, is nailed into the wall such, that the max. height for the plant is only around 1 meter, around 39 inches. any higher and it would receive burns from the HPS.
    So, in order for the light to be at a constant safe distance from the plant it can't really grow much taller even though its grow rate is nowhere near slowing down.
    What to do? well i thought of trimming it and therefore causing it to grow outwards rather than upwards as it should be pretty difficult to stop its growing process altogether. now i don't really know how that works and i wanted to gain some info. on how it is best done. I take it, it's more complicated than just cutting off the top leaves and waiting until more sprout along the sides right?

help is much appreciated thanks.

PS. I am not able to adjust the height of the HPS, as that would present a problem with my neighbours who are already suspicious of the drilling that was undergone when it was initially installed!

2. take some string and tie it to your branches and bend them to the side...

3. Tie a cord to the top and bend her over. Also increases yield, every branch then tries to be the main cola.

4. If it gets desperate, and i recommend the tieing down first, you could also break just under the top bud and let it bend doen with out breaking it fully. But only if you have to.

5. yep, you should be doing this as early as possible if doing an indoor grow from what I've read around here.

6. can some tell me more about tying down please?

7. ok great i checked that link out and it looks very helpful but i reckon my plant is far too big for that. i didnt realise this height problem until recently and mine is nearly 40 inches instead of 8.
    i think what i will do instead is remove my HPS when its getting too tall and let it grow from the little light it gets from the sun, which shines in through the window.
    Having a plant of about 43 inches isn't bad is it, yieldwise? especially cos i had a stem breakage early on and its actually growing two fold..does that make sense?

8. so it dosnt hurt the plant to much?