Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Pro - marihuana arguments that annoy you

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by YouLikeItRough, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah, this is annoying in it's own way but i want to vent

1- (Possibly the most annoying) "Dude, it's not a drug, it's a plant". Every time someone says this I roll my eyes. Sure, it's a plant, but that doesn't stop making it a drug. Sure, it may not be a drug in the way crack or meth is a drug, but saying that it's not a drug is just plain denial. You know what else is a plant and is all natural?! Thousands of other plants that will fuck you up, so just because marihuana is all natural does not mean it's a miracle plant with zero negative side effects, which leads me to...

2- Using the God argument. A common thing I see a lot these days is people quoting scriptures, the bible, and constantly reminding us that Jesus consumed cannabis. Um, I know some people are religious, but I thought we lived in the 21st century, a time where we have made great strides in distancing Church from state. That being said, I do not understand why people bring this up when defending weed or trying to convince people of legalization. Some weak minded and conservative ones might be convinced to support marihuana because of this, but they'd be supporting it for all the wrong reasons.

3- "Weed made me a better person". The people who say this (at least on these boards) are the same ones who call others weak when they're lives seem to veer off for the worse because of marihuana use. Now, I understand you guys when you say "It's not the plant's fault, it's the individual" ,and I'm almost 100% with you on this. However, if this is the case, then you can't go around saying weed made you better, because you're admitting that mj HAS changed you, only you were fortunate enough to benefit from it instead of the other way around. In other words, I get you guys on this one, but you're gonna have to flesh out your argument better

Arguments i do support:

-marihuana is not addictive (sure, several withdrawal symptoms have been observed on people who stop after prolonged use, but I've seen it, experienced it firsthand, and I must say that it's nothing to worry about)

-marihuana is mostly harmless. If studies of cannabis consumption have shown us something, it's that the side effects of smoking marihuana aren't alarming at all, and it really isn't dangerous in significant ways.

-Natural law. The government shouldn't have control over what someone decides to put in their body, regardless of how horrible it is. At the end of the day, it's your choice, and no one should intervene with that, especially when you're talking about a drug that tends to simply mellow people out.

2. I don't like when people say it isn't a gateway drug because imo it is. If I had never tried weed, I would never have even considered trying other drugs ( Vicodin, shrooms, adderall) but since I started smoking I was introduced to these other drugs as well. Now I think that if weed was legalized, then it truely would not be a gateway drug but personally i believe that prohibition is what makes it a gateway drug

3. Any drug is a gateway drug. If I started on Xanax I can guarantee I'd be introduced to weed shrooms acid etc...

4. The way I see it.. government classified it as a 'drug'..

If we didn't have the government telling us what is what.. it'd still be just a fucking plant.

5. I think that the reason for why people say it's a gateway drug is because for many, it's their first illegal drug, and the experience is so wonderful that they seek different methods of intoxication. It has nothing to do with marihuana, but the way we stigmatize it. I am 100% with you and I think if it was legalized, the whole "gateway theory" would go away. Think of alcohol, for example. When I drank alcohol for the first few times (i don't anymore), I never wondered about what other concoctions would affect brain function. I just drank more alcohol, especially since there's always plenty of it and it's become so cheap. It's possible that a similiar thing would happen with mj. If mj was made legal, then the next most popular illegal drug would become the "gateway drug".

6. It's only a plant when it's growing, not after harvest. Do you call the fruit in your fridge plants or fruits? It's a plant while it's growing, but once it's harvested and put to use for something besides photosynthesis and reproduction, it's no longer a plant, thus where the classification of "drug" comes into play.

This is the most annoying pro-marijuana argument I've ever encountered, it just makes everyone who does smoke weed look miles stupider by denying such simple facts merely to circumvent the negative connotations attached to the word "drug" by our society. We don't call pharmaceuticals drugs, we don't even call medical marijuana a drug, they're called "medication" - which is nothing but the positive word for drug.

7. The way I see it.. government classified it as a 'drug'..

If we didn't have the government telling us what is what.. it'd still be just a fucking transparent rock

^^ See what i did there?

8. Except they didnt . The term has been around for a long time, and the use of cannabis as a drug has been around since its discovery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.