Pro/Con: Dome Perc -vs.- Tree Perc - vs.- Other Perc types ...?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by DULLAH, Apr 14, 2009.

1. #1 DULLAH, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
    I understand the more streams incoming smoke is split up into, the cooler it will be due to surface area...but other than that...
    ...Could y'all please school me on the pro's & cons of all the different types of percs ?
    Is one more durable than another?
    Does one have more drag than the others?
    What are the important facts?

Thanks.
    Peace.

2. #2 njosnavelin, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
    From personal experience, having owned two dome perc tubes and two tree perc tubes, dome percs create a significant amount of drag compared to tree percs. Keep in mind I'm also comparing my old PH(x) tubes to my current Toro mini and RooR triple chamber

3. the most common answer you'll get is that tree's > dome's, and i agree for the most part. but a well done dome can filter just well, have a much stonger structural integrity, and drag no more than a tree. but it's also much harder to find nice domes than it is nice trees.

4. Yeah I also went from a dome perc Phx Trinity that had alot of drag , to a tree perc sovereignty.... and you just dont go back.

Also i found that my phx got sooo much dirtier than my other tree perc bongs.

Id say get tree percs, but dome percs aint bad

5. dome is a easier to make, more primitive design. tree's are a newer design that allows for extra diffusion of the smoke upon release and also have less drag.

6. jason lee:

WATERPIPES, it's all about airflow...

Domes...
    1. the center shaft must be large enough to breath through unrestricted.
    2. the outer dome must have enough space between the inner and outer sleeves to match the inner flow.
    3. the ring of holes/slits has to have equal or greater flow than the inner tubes.
    4. the tube itself has to have enough space for the water to churn.

Trees...
    1. the center shaft must be large enough to breath through unrestricted.
    2. the arms of the tree have to have equal or greater flow than the center tube.
    3. the holes/slits must have equal or greater flow than the arms of the tree.
    4. the tube itself has to have enough space for the water to churn.

7. trees are way better
    no drag and more diffusion
    phx made some pretty shitty dome percs on the trinity
    so much drag on those things it was ridiculous

there's now halo percs that are pretty sick looking and a few other proto designs

8. how are PHX? guy at the local headshop had one and said he owned one along with a roor and that the PHX was much better than the roor

zob makes the halo perc, and its very good

9. Well, I can tell you the PHX will be slightly more difficult to hit than the Roor.

10. It all depends on the company and how they go about making each style.

The US Tubes are supposed to have almost ZERO drag on their dome percs. They must just make them well.

Trees are preferred but I'm not going to say I'd never own a dome because I'd gladly scoop a US dome.

11. for the most part its all about the drag caused from the perc. There's nothing wrong with dome percs but with tree style percs you can have more percolators on the bong

12. Alright, so it's all in the execution of each style...is there a consensus, that even though trees look dope, that a good dome can perform up to a tree's level ?
    And domes are generally more durable ?
    Do domes clean easier ?
    Does US tubes make a dome Perc under 20"

13. definitely all in the excecution. even JP from Toro used to bust out some pretty ill dome percs.
    domes are "more durable" in the sense that the design is much stronger, yes.
    i would assume they'd about the same to clean.
    and yes, i believe so. but i'm sure somebody will know for sure

14. no us tubes is just not capable yet of making quality tree perks to there glass standards. maby in some time when they get bigger.

15. ok, heres my take on it. everyone lemmie know if i post any incorrect info.

Tree percs pros
    -Least drag
    -filters it the most
    -looks dope haha

Tree perc cons
    -Relatively fragile
    -hardest to clean if you let it get bad

Dome perc pros
    -its a perc, it does filter the smoke
    -Has higher drag (some people like it)
    -easy as hell to clean

Dome perc Cons
    -Drag, personally i dislike it.
    -The most simple, not to impressive perc. basically a standard perc
    - drag drag drag drag drag

Those are basically the two most common types of percs you are going to be looking at.

There are other kinds, like disk percs. But ive never used a tube with that kinda perc, so i really cant tell you anything about them.

If you have the choice, go with tree perc, every time. Its going to make it super smooth without adding much, if any drag at all.

Hope this helps

16. as someone else said, dome percs if done right can be every bit as good. i've got a phire with a single dome perc and it doesn't add very much drag at all.

17. i haven't had the opportunity to hit a gazillioni armed tree perc from Toro or SG, but from my experiences with the pH(x), it's still the smoothest hit I've had, however very draggy