Preparing for Round Two

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by amsterdamage, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Tactics suggested from another forum...

2. What if I care about issues outside of prohibition?

(Just playing devil's advocate here.)

3. Technically wouldn't matter if you decided you like another question because not all of us would vote for it,But as long as everyone voted every marijuana question up then it would work.

4. vote for it and try to convince everyone else to vote for it too.

5. Sounds good. I wonder if the mods are willing to send out a forum-wide private message entailing the actions that need to be taken place when the time comes.

6. i am so doing that, great idea, should sticky it until round 2 ends

7. I'm up for it. Overgrow change.gov

8. Im definetly going to do that. Sent the this page to a bunch of my friends on aim too.

When does round two start?

9. For one, I imagine they would ignore questions that are essentially identical to ones responded to in the first round. I would think we would be best served by voting up a MMJ or decriminalization question, versus outright legalization.

Secondly, I really think that flooding the site to the point that all of the top questions deal with marijuana reform would not look good for our community. I had expressed concern with that during the initial vote where the legalization question wound up at #1- it comes across to anyone without a vested interest in the issue as arrogance and immaturity, I think ("this is more important than domestic security, the economy, etc.") Flooding the site in the manner suggested seems like extreme overkill that would do more harm than good.

Also keep in mind that questions regarding Blogojevich were deleted during the first round, and I can imagine they would be equally eager to use the delete button to clear out a flood of redundant, previously answered questions.

But that's just me. I voted for the old guy, so forgive my pessimism.

10. I like the one where we all submit a question.

Also, Make sure you visit other forums that have supporters (maybe not activists) that would vote us up as well :)

11. Also, a more broad question would be like "Are you going to do anthing to our current marijuana laws on the federal level (for both medicinal and recreational use)?"

12. That would be, I think, the ideal question. An appropriate followup to the original answer.

13. I bet they answer with a statement saying they will continue their war on drugs... more like a war on your own non-violent citizens.

14. I'd be happy with him just stopping the raids on the dispensaries and the arrests of
    medical users.

15. This isn't the only issue that exists. We're just an interest group, and we need to play fair. :) Democracy doesn't function when undermined.

16. This doesn't undermine democracy. Every other group has the same opportunity to do the exact same thing (and probably will).

We are ALWAYS ignored. We're portrayed as being "on the fringe" and our issue as being somewhere between irrelevant to downright dangerous.

We have to show the Government and the general public that legalization has tons of support. We've got to grab every opportunity to be noticed, and send back an overwhelming response that this issue is relevant, essential, and supported by masses of passionate people who will not just quietly go away.

We've never had an opportunity so capable of getting our message noticed as this one. And all we have to do to is post some new questions and vote on existing ones. We don't need to go out in the snow or call our legislators or get arrested. We just have to vote.

17. I'm rather embarressed by this, iv been outa the internet loop a bit, where do i vote shit down and up and stuff?

i heard about the first round of questions...such bullshit.

i really want elaborte responses to the questions.

-BW

18. Well, I hope that you're right amsterdamage. :) Naturally, if I had an issue that mattered, I wouldn't want people specifically voting it down to bring theirs up. I'm just a fan of reciprocity is all, but to each his own.

19. My thoughts exactly. We cannot ignore the larger issues at hand right now. The marijuana cause is a just one, but a "tit-for-tat" voting down of other equally, or dare I say, MORE important issues is just like turning a blind eye to them. I don't think anyone in good conscience could vote down issues concerning the economy or international issues, or any other multitude of issues facing our country and the world.

Vote for issues that you agree with, and vote down the ones you disagree with. That is the democratic way to do it. Don't "rig" the ballots. :cool:

20. Someone in another thread had a nice spin on this tactic. Because I am so stoned at the moment, I can't find the post, so I'll just re-iterate.

Basically, if we were to strong-arm the question poll like this, it may convey some negative connotations towards us as a whole. With the economy like it is, it makes us look quite shortsighted to do such an aggressive and pervasive plan of attack.

Instead of shooting for the moon and demanding answers for legalization, why not get the topic started with a few questions that could garner widespread appeal. A few pointed questions that can gather a lot of support blended with questions about the economy, etc other issues in the top ten, will make the issue look just as credible and in my opinion, less concentrated to a small group of fervent potheads on grasscity that are strong-arming a poll designed to address a lot of problems we are facing right now.

I think it would be a bit more effective if, as a community we agreed on a few common ground questions/proposals that we can vote on just as vigorously, instead of 25 with the same question over and over.