praying mantis

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by puffpuffpass714, May 14, 2012.

1. I just got a couple praying mantis's from a friend who hatched a couple eggs. THESE THINGS ARE FUCKING SWEET! i let a fewout into my mothers garden and she was estatic haha. apparently bugs have been bad in the back yard the past couple of years so im gonna put like 4 egg worth in our gardens, hahahaha. teach those damn misquotos!

any ideas on having them grow quickly/ strong. also if anyone else has cool pets please share!! minus dogs and cats of course:wave:

2. #2 Wildcard23, May 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
    This is very frowned upon.. You would be releasing an invasive species into your environment... They would have no natural predators and reproduce explosively upsetting natures balance.. I was awake during environment bro :smoke:

3. fuck that noise . that shit makes me smile!

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 puffpuffpass714, May 14, 2012
    then why can i buy eggs at my local store. hmm, lol. not dis crediting you, but can i ask where you live at? I wouldnt go as far as calling them invasive, they've been here since the 1900's, so re poppulating them a little shouldnt be too terrible. also it's increadibly benificial to the plant life in my gardens, as the fly and mosquito population is insane during the dusk hours of the summer.

in my eyes:

less gnats(sp?), mosquitos, harmful insects(too my plants), spiders, its more natural, and better to watch, etc. It has a pretty wide variety of foods that they can digest so i dont think they will target a specific species, but more or less tackle all the varieties that have claimed my yard. :hello:

lol im in environmental also, but i have never been told increasing there pop. is frowned apon.. enlighten me please. (not sarcasm)

i mean fuck man, i can go dump pesticides which would do the same thing, but that stuff is TERRIBLE for the environ, just think all that shit absorbs into the ground water etc. and is evaporated. not like it goes away once it kills the bugs!

5. i am in no way condoning the placing of invasive species in our environments! . ( have only let 5 out, and theyre cool as fuck; they kindof just chill of the leafs underside where all the shade is. LOUNGIN!:cool:

6. [​IMG]
    Mantis are natural in nature, they just lay there eggs if different areas not in his grow tent or yard.

7. they are by far my favorite bug.

8. thats what i'm talking about man! me too, honestly spiders creep the shit out of me, other wise i would hatch some daddy long leg eggs, but ew. then you got to deal with thousands of those buggers crawling on you when you lay by the fire and shit. i enjoy letting the mantis's crawl on my arms etc, there fucking cute lmaooo.

9. i never thought about giving some to my buddies ;). thanks! maybe ill get something in return.:p

10. #10 Wildcard23, May 14, 2012
    [quote name='"puffpuffpass714"']then why can i buy eggs at my local store. hmm, lol. not dis crediting you, but can i ask where you live at? I wouldnt go as far as calling them invasive, they've been here since the 1900's, so re poppulating them a little shouldnt be too terrible. also it's increadibly benificial to the plant life in my gardens, as the fly and mosquito population is insane during the dusk hours of the summer.

in my eyes:

less gnats(sp?), mosquitos, harmful insects(too my plants), spiders, etc. It has a pretty wide variety of foods that they can digest so i dont think they will target a specific species, but more or less tackle all the varieties that have claimed my yard. :hello:

lol im in environmental also, but i have never been told increasing there pop. is frowned apon.. enlighten me please. (not sarcasm)[/quote]

I actually just did some research on the ol' googler and some species of praying mantis are actually illegal to have under some invasive species act... With some species of organisms people introduce them into a non-native habitat and since they have no natural predators they use up all the resources, killing other native species and growing out of control.. Some examples are lion fish in FL or those pesky kutzu plants all over the US.. The kutzu plants actually grow so rapidly they cover whole streets.. if you bought the eggs from some store theyre probably fine... I'd say let a couple bang in a terrarium for a while then use some of their offspring in your garden but always keep some in the terrarium so you can make more if the others don't fare well

Edit: http://www.theprayingmantis.org/Mantis-Facts.php for cool mantis facts

11. I found a couple in my yard last summer and captured them. My cat knocked over the container, ate one, and the other was crushed but still living, lived like two days and then I let it go and it probably died. My cat don't give a fuck.

12. ahh, that site is cool, and informative. as long as its creadible. but either way i would assume i didnt have an illegal bug being sold at the local gardening store lol. but they do have a few predators throughout the u.s. i believe, such as larger birds, snakes, reptiles in general.(large bird population) Im also positive my cats will keep them in check for the most part hahaha. thanks for the feedback though man!

13. ok your thread title triggered three thoughts:
    1. Praying Mantis is a sick band name
    2. If I were a religious superhero I'd call myself Praying Mantis.
    3. I seem to remember that female Mantii bite off the heads of their mates. Is it weird that I'm really turned on by that??

14. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYp_Xi4AtAQ]Female praying mantis eats male after mating - YouTube[/ame]

15. bugs turn u on?

16. [quote name='"EffMeSilly"']

bugs turn u on?[/quote]

Bugs give me boners bro

17. yes. did I not make myself clear?

18. I love em
    They remind me of Pokemon :smoke:

19. [quote name='"FindingTim"']

yes. did I not make myself clear?[/quote]

Do you get turned on by Pokemon?

20. #20 STIGGY, May 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012