Ppm?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Mrlyjammn420, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Ok i was wondering if anyone knew the correct ppm for each stage of growth?
    What should it be at for seedling (1 week old), then about mid veg stage(2-3 weeks old), and so on through flowering??? I know its been probably asked 500 times but i really need to know and i cant seem to find it anywhere on the internet. Always for plants other than MJ. :D

2. #2 Mr.Tangent, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
    first off 1 week seedling should be fed water.....until the round set of leaves fall off.
    for the very first and maybe second feeding nutes are to be at HALF strenght.To start i'd go between 150-300ppm. DEpending on the ppm of the water to begin with...
    and then increase ur ppm by 200 after a couple waterings.......i just put i clone in a bubble bucket and started her off at 350 ppm.....she's happy... As for flowering id start at 800 and increase each watering.....

clones/seedlings 200-400ppm
    vegging 400- 700ppm
    mothers 600ppm
    flowering 800ppm PLUS
    these numbers will vary from plant to plant......use this to give you an idea...

and it's always easier to add more the next time then to kill ur plant right off the bat.

3. Thanks for the help man but i have grown before in dwc and kinda nute burned my plant quite a bit in the earlier stage and also there was slight nute burns through my entire grow. (turned out to be male) But, i just started a new one and i started it off with 1/4 recommended nutes for seedling and within 2 days my roots started coming down. My plants about 2-3 weeks old right now bushier than ever, with roots that almost take up the whole bucket already. I am actually worried the roots are going to run out of space because its such a large ball of them. But on another note i use store bought distilled water and the ppm of it is 0 so what should i do. I have it about 350 right now in ppm so i think i might have to add it some more nutes. I am going to do that after because i have bad algae growth in my water level tube because its clear tubing. (Will this effect my plant, theres NO algae actually in the bucket just in the view tube on the side of the bucket) I have to buy some more distilled water but i think i bought all of it from walmart and they are slacking on the restocking there stuff. (i buy cases of 4 1 gallon jugs only 68 cents a gallon) Also when the ppm drops should just add nutes right into the water or should i replace the entire bucket with new water with a new nute solution. Is it ok to keep using the same water for 2-3 weeks at a time. I usually refill the buckets once a week or 1 1/2 weeks at most.

4. get rid of the algae..asap....it may not be on the plants roots now but, id try to remove it.....before it does......
    Best bet would to find a larger container for the roots to grow in.....i'm just started using my bubble buckets like a week ago...normally used soil....so i'm no pro.....but id say to find a clean spare bucket to hold the plants and it's roots while you clean the resivor and change the nutes.......i think i might mix the nutes THEn add them to the resivoir

5. Yeah i have to make a trip up to walmart anyways so i have to get about 12 gallons of water because i am also starting 2 more dwc's but yeah i am going to clean that algae as soon as i get water which has been longer than expected because walmart doesnt like to restock there shit.

6. if it aint too much of a bitch..you might want to replace that clear hose you have to prevent any more algae issues in the future.

7. I am starting a new grow with different buckets (4 gallon square ones) So that i can fit more than 1 plant in my small grow cab. But the new buckets i am going to be using will have different view tubes. Some maguyver type of shit possibly with 2 snorkles haha. These snorkles are perfect shape length and a dark blue so i think this will work better with an algae problem. I am good with this type of stuff but when it comes down to the exact measurements and stuff with drills and power drills i am retarded. So hopefully i can craft something together that will work more efficienctly.

8. is it actually algae or just a little film/slime? i have the same thing on mine and i asked rump about it and he said its normal and he gets it on his too

^^^^what he said

9. Unless your using black hose your going to get algae, its pretty much inevitable, but you can clean out hoses. Just take them off and run hot water through them and when they get warm pull them and squeeze the length of them then run more water through them.
    Can do that and then soak in some hydrogen peroxide for a day too, oh its always nice to have one extra hose for a replacement.

10. No i know what your talking about because i have that too. But in my water level (view) tube has alot of GREEN stuff in it. I know its algae. But i am cleaning it tonight or tomorrow morning so it wont be a threat anymore.

11. Id say just cover the tubing from the light if you cant replace it with black tubing.

You will need to check your ppm conversion to know what it is,its either x500 OR x700 of the EC.

What size BB do you now have,whats the total fluid volume of the system and whats the res temps during the mid lighting?

These things will determin whether you can keep the distilled water the FULL grow or not.

I keep my res solutions for 6 months which is clear as a can be.;)

12. i run my clones at 800 ppm, my veg area at 1200ppm, and my flowering area at 1400-1600ppm. have had very consistant yields with these formulas.

13. I have no idea what your talking about when it comes to ppm conversion. I just bought my first ppm tester and it says 350 ppm. I am also using a 5 gal bucket with about 3-4.5 gal in there. But i will be switching to a 4 gallon bucket with most likely only 3 gallons in it. And when it comes down to the temp of the water i have no idea i dont have a way to test the water temp. But to describe it, it is room temp most likely around 70 degrees. Its not cold nor hot to touch just normal. Also why would i not be able to use distilled water what other kind would i use? Cant be tap water right?

14. You could always buy a can of that Krylon Fusion spray paint and paint your hoses too I suppose. Black of course. I use it for all my tubs. Then I use the white for my bucket lids after a few layers of black instead of all that duct tape.

So its your level viewing tube that has algae. You just have to clean it out every once in a while. Running some peroxide in the res everyone couple weeks helps also but only if your using chemically derived nutrients. If your using organics then you have to just scrub a dub.

15. #15 theskunkdoctor7, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2008
    you should get a cheap aquarium heater and a small thermometer. keep temp between 65-75 and your ppm need to be increased. check out my first post on this topic, it'll give you some good guidelines. best of luck

16. I actually have an aquarium heater already but i dont think heating up only 4 gallons of water is a good idea IMHO and why would this increase my ppm

17. no you need to increase your ppm. having good temp helps optimize nutrient uptake. aquarium heaters are self regulating just set it to 65 and it will do its thing.

18. cool yeah ill mess with it. I got a shit load of fish tank things that one of my co workers gave me. Thanks man

19. not a problem man. let me know how the grow goes, keep me updated.

20. #20 ocitown, Nov 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2008
    ppm is only a conversion from the EC=Electrical conductivity,some meters convert by x500 some x700 and fish type use x1000 to get the ppm.

Now when someone gives you a ppm "they" use it may or may not be the same conversion as your pen is,say joe shmo uses a x700 ppm conversion and says "hey i use 1800ppm" you have a x500ppm pen and now you use 1800ppm and now your plants get REALLY burned(thats because his 1800 is really 2500ppm when converted by a X500 factor).

EC is always EC and ppm can be up to 100% higher or lower depending on the conversion,some more expensive pens are also adjustable.

Solution temps are optimum at 68F. for MJ and can be checked with a floating 99 cent fish thermometer.

Seedlings up to 3 weeks can live on pure water(distilled OR R/O are best)

Clones can be the same as the mothers once rooted.

Full grown plants under fluoros can handle 800-900ppm(some strains more and some less)

Full grown plants under HID can handle 1200-1300ppm(some more and some less)

These #s are all with a X500 conversion factor too.;)

Undedrstanding your equiptment is cridical for optimum growing.:D