ppm ph meter./question of ppm and ph/soil ph

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by greenwatcher, Jan 13, 2011.

1. can someone recommend a good ppm meter and ph meter i can get from ebay?
    preferably 40ish bucks total for both. if not just recommend some.

also question water ph and soil ph is it the same thing how do you test soil ph?
    and how to test ppm and how to adjust these things like soil ph

i know water ph u just use ph up/down right?.

ppm just add nutes and flush to lower right?

2. hey greenwatcher

Im a long time outdoor grower and knowing Ph is one of the toughest goals ive had over the years. I havent been able to find a ph meter that can be carried into the field to read guerilla soil that doest cost $250 or more, and then they arent very reliable. There may be one but i cant find it.

I have taken a comparison route. I have a soil that i know grows very good cannabis. I test that soil with my little tablets and test tube(rapidtest). I compare that soil to the color chart. I then check other soils and compare those against my baseline soil. If its not quite as green, i add lime. crude i know. Let see if someone else can make recommendations.

Good luck

3. so to test soil i gota get a little bit of soil and mix with water and test that water in the tube??

4. #4 clodhopper, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
    greenwatcher, i have a Rapid-Test ph test kit. Google Rapid test and theyll pop up. Theyre cheap. I first test my indoor potting soil,(sunshine container mix) because i know that it grows very good cannabis. I note the color that appears in the test tube when i test my indoor soil and then when i test my native soil, i compare the colors.. If the ph color of my indoor soil is dark green, and my native soil light green, then i know i need lime and add 1/2 cup , wait 3 weeks and test again.
    Sometimes i have to add another bit of lime but in my neck of the woods, 1/2 cup usually brings the ph up.

One very important note. Because results with the test kits can be variable, it is very important to measure the same amount of soil and water for both test. I weigh all ingredients on my little set of digital postal scales so i know im testing the same amounts.