PPM over 2000 with PH up/down

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by CommieNerd, Jul 26, 2011.

1. OK, so yesterday I tested my water ppm and it was over 2000. I thought it had to be the tap water, so I got more RO water and put it in. After adjusting the pH, the PPM was 2170! I tested the tap, and it said 173, and my filtered water said 80, and the calibration liquid is spot on. When I measure the RO water by itself, it says 108, which is higher than normal. How can I get accurate reading or how can I fix this? There are no nutes in the water what so ever.

Attached Files:

2. Your TDS meter is jacked...
    If you're using city wanter and in the US, by EPA standards no more than 250ppm..
    So if you're saying your tap water is over 2K, your meter is jacked...

3. No, I've seen it online too. I test the meter aginst the calibration liquid and it is spot on. The water, no matter what water I use, is within normal limits until I add pH up and down. Then the ppm goes sky high. Don't believe me or my photo? Check the link out.

4. what brand/type of ph up and down do you use?

5. Technaflora liquid. And even after letting it ebb and flow all night, it's still in the 2000 range. So it's not my mixing.

6. the ph up/down might be throwing it off. a ppm meter cant tell the difference between a part of nutrient or a part of ph up/down. (parts per million=ppm). i bet if you dipped your meter in your ph up/down it would be off the charts.

try switching up your brand of ph up/down.

7. Cool, will do.

8. I would say to get an EC reader. This is more accurate

9. and,,,, there you have it!

10. FOund out Im measuring it at teh wrong time.

11. when are you trying to measure it, you are stirring things up first before you measure yeah? That really doesnt matter, "timing" with just plain water, it wont measure 2000ppms, something else your not doing grower

12. Just to mix. I usually take a sample so its not bothered. I was measuring ppm after PH, not before. Is that right?

13. your ppm is not going to be affected like that, ph will not make that much of a difference, if ppm meters read that way, none of us would be successful! Something truely is wrong

14. mines 450... this is average

15. :eek:
    Glad I do not live in your city... ;)

Mine is usually around 30-40..
    Maybe 50 on the real hot days and why hotter days effect it, I have no clue..

16. i also have the second worst most toxic water in the US... super mega lame

17. Ya, the EPA says anything over 250 is "not fit for human consumption"... ;)