PPM and water

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Brightpanda3, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Can somebody school me on ppm, my tap water is around 200ppm which I was told was too high. I was told I need to be lower than 60ppm for organic soil. What’s the cheapest/easiest way to lower my ppm? Would this kit work?

2. That R.O. water filter should lower your PPM.
    Or you could just buy market purified water. The purified water I buy at my nearest market starts its PPM at around 4. Brands may vary.

3. 100-150 ppm for seedlings
    300 + first veg stage
    400-700 4 week veg
    First half of flower 700-900
    Last half flower 1000-1500 I think is about right it seems to work for me.

4. tap water = 220 ppm and I'm using it in DWC and Coco. Just add a dash of epsom before adding anything else.

I do use RO for seedlings though, and start to cut 50/50 RO/tap after, but lately now 100% tap.

5. Get on fleabay or amazon and get a 5 stage for a few dollars cheaper.
    The 5 stage (5 filters) with get your 200 PPM to around 10 PPM's

6. Right on! Thanks for the feedback gentlemen

7. #8 King Loki, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    My tap water is 270 PPM and it seems to be fine .. I did check my local water stats though and it says there is only 14PPM of calcium in it and only 9 ppm of magnesium ... and for some reason, Chloride is sitting at 123 PPM .. I'm guessing this is some type of chlorine ? I left a bucket of water out in the sun all day and the water went from 270 ppm to 330 for some reason ... I thought it would go down haha

water ppm's.png

8. Very interesting! Yeah I usually let my water chill overnight and have some aquarium pumps aerating it. The reason I started researching ppm was because I was having nutrient issues. Like lockout/deficiency type stuff. So it got me wondering if I was truly flushing them. So the ppm we talk about like during flowering they say keep it around 1000. So that 1000ppm is just for feeding right? You always want a low ppm for water between feedings right?

9. It really does depend on the plant itself, let the leaves tell you the story and adapt to what the plant wants, if the leaves are yellowing you can usually up the nutes ... if the leaves are darker green back them off ect. ... I have 2 diff strains going atm and I can already tell one of the strains likes a different PPM and ratios to the others

I have been using this chart from a fluence bioengineering paper for rough PPM estimates but as far as i have learned so far there is no right PPM for all plants they all have individual needs ... I've even seen growers growing the same strain from the same shop and each plant wants a different feed lol
    screenshot-fluence.science-2019.02.13-00-18-50.png

10. Wow so you’re telling me people constantly feed their plants nutes without alternating with plain water?

I was doing good until I switched to 12/12 but that’s also the same time I started using roots organic nutes. It’s hard for me to tell overfeeding versus underfeeding. I thought they were hungry then I gave them nutes and it made it worse.

So isnt ppm just a way to tell how heavy or concentrated your nutrients are?