Ppm and ph meter

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Jrvan143, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Hey guys what is the best bang for your buck ppm and ph meter I can get? any suggestions would be great thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. [​IMG] This is the last one I bought after using bluelab, Hanna, and HM. It's a year old works great and I drive it like I stole it, sat dry for a month and calibration was right on. Cost me $25 :).

3. Awesome thanks a lot!

4. I never bought a single pH tester other than the BlueLab I use now, that was reliable or that I got any extended life out of. I could've bought 4 BlueLabs wasting all that money on the cheap ones. I found that the very cheap ones were just worthless. Bought two that didn't work at all right out of the box. If you're doing a soil grow, the pH is not nearly as important as with a hydro setup. But if you're growing hydro, you need the pH to always be SPOT ON. Go with good quality testing equipment always and I'm a BlueLab fan for life. TWW

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks a lot I'm going with a small dwc grow to start I bought a 3.5 gallon single shot from htg supply but if all works out I'm going to diy a 4bucket setup.....did you go with blue labs for a ppm meter also?

6. Very much incorrect info.....this may be the reason "The Widow White" has such low yield ratios.

7. Lol any suggestions on them?

8. For a PPM meter I use the inexpensive HM Digital TDS-EZ meter. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I have dropped mine into the bucket so many times I can't even count. Rinse in RO water and into a bag of rice and all is well. For a PH pen I use the Hanna Checker. Again I have been using my meter for over 2 years and countless swims in my bucket by accident. Rinse, dry, check the calibration and keep on rocking. The newer version of the Hanna Checker is the Hanna GroLine PH pen. It was $47US at HTG supply. It comes in plastic case with calibration fluid packets and cleaning solution. Again I use my ph pens and PPM meters a number of times every day. No need for high dollar BlueLab.

Contrary to "The Widow Whites" statement above(keep in mind to she does NOT grow in hydro) there is nothing wrong with a little swing in PH in a DWC. I swing from 5.6-6.2 and I grow monster plants.

9. Ok thanks I'm going to check it out

10. I've gone through two hanna's, two bluelab's, and one Oakton, I'm done buying expensive ones but again I drive em like I stole em. As for the need in soil I've never found I needed them but for hydro .... yup lol. And yes I find a slide up is good but the range is strain dependant for me with some not liking much over 6. Best to watch the plant and see. As for EC meters I use an HM but it's more to watch the movement and not the actual number so I find it less important.

11. Thanks for the info !

• Like Like x 1
  12. If you have the cash I would recommend a blue lab ph pen and the baton for your ec. Be careful with the ph pen. Don't throw it about. Run under water after use and buy ph pen storage solution adding a couple of drops to the lid to store. Calibrate every other week.

If cash is a problem I would buy a couple of the cheaper pens and test with both. When the reading are different you can calibrate, if that fails but another one. You can buy £10 ones off Amazon. But then you're waiting on ineveing delivered.

Cheap ones won't last though and the cost of a fkd up ph will pay for an Expensive pen in one crop, just take the extra couple of mins to care for it when it's done. I also replace the batteries fairly regularly