Powdery Mildew Harmful?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by trogdor4564, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Ok so last time i applied a solution for my powdery mildew it rid most of it but now im at week 6 of flowering and the mildew is back. I dont want to spray too much stuff on my plants and get moldy buds. So i was wondering if the powdery mildew can be harmful to humans if breathed in or smoked? the mildew is not on the buds but on the fan leaves around some buds. If some of the mildew is on the buds is this bad to smoke?:confused:

2. What is the average humidity in the grow room, box or whatever?
    Why does it have powdery mildew? Find the root cause and solve the problem.
    If ambient humidity isnt very high you can spray with something organic such as neem oil and be ok for smoking.
    As far as health etc how many and how large are the affected plants? Breathing any kind of mold or fungus for an extended period of time, in large enough amounts, can be harmfull. But what are we talking about here a lot or a little?

3. Thanks for replying. RH is around 30-50%
    I think the main cause is bc i have me a/c exhausting into underneath the house and the a/c unit is right next the the opening so the air it is blowing in is partially coming from underneath, which most likely the powdery mildew is coming from?
    But there is a lot of mildew near the buds really. Mainly fan leaves, some are pretty covered and look almost white. So if there is some powder on the buds it should be ok? Im planning on doing nice close trimmings so i get most the infected leaves but i know im not gonna be able to get rid all of it. Maybe ill be able to blow most t off but ill see what happens. I just want to know if powdery mildew is dangerous. I know most molds and mildews are but this stuff just seems different then any mold or mildew i have encountered.

4. i've had experience of powdery mildew before - you need to strip all the leaves with it on and as much bud as possible - the spores are easily transported by oscillating fans and ventialtion - the irony is that you need good air circulation but need to get rid of the spores first

the mold usually attacks plants in the corner of the grow room/tent because there is less fresh air there so pay particular attention to those areas

to get rid of it totally you have to up the ventilation in the grow but it sounds like your vent is drawing in the mildew from plants outside so you might need to look at that first

there are cures on the shelf but I also hear that diluted milk in a mister works well

but, personally, I would rather cut off mouldy bud/leaves than spray my buds with a liquid and risk even more mould

good luck

5. no need to strip the affected leaves, simply mix 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of baking soda pour the mixture in a spritzer bottle and spray the plants well, both sides of the leaves

this will not hurt your plant or affect the buds

a treatment of Neem oil will also cure your problem

lower the humidity to resolve further issues, powdery mildew shows up in cool damp conditions, what are your temps when the lights are off?

6. i have tried the baking soda mixture early into flowering. Got rid of the powder for a few days then it came on stronger. There is know way im gonna be able to rid it now with 2 weeks left for harvest but i just need to know if it is ok to smoke these buds still. Im guessing itll be fine bc it will be very light amount on the buds anyways. But i guess ill have to see how everything turns out once the buds are done drying and everything.

Im almost thinking it is not powdery mildew though. maybe something else, because my RH is fairly low and at a good flowering temp. It doesnt go up really high at night either. It doesnt seem like a mold or mildew but more like powder and its not in a spotty form like most has described. Im not sure but it is worrying me a little i hope this crop will be ok.

7. post some pics dude - powdery mildew is pretty easy to identify

8. 30-50% thats one hell of a variance and 50% is too high, lower the humidity

powdery mildew shows when its cooler & high RH, whats your idea of good temps?

post some stats & pics

as to smoking mold? I wont smoke ANY kind of mould, I would prefer to use Neem Oil knowing you still have a couple weeks left, Neem oil dissipates within a week or 2

9. ill post pic tomorrow.
    My temps range from 75-68
    ill try and keep my RH down as much as possible, but imma start flushing so we'll see

10. Here are some pics. The bud shot is one of the worst cases of it on the bud. Mainly the lower buds of the GDP. Im almost positive it is powdery mildew now that i read an article about it in High Times and saw a pic.

Attached Files:

11. yeah that's classic PM - pretty bad case too - you should be thinking about QWISO'ing the lot

that sucks - sorry man

12. Increasing ventilation should help prevent it next time. Make sure you sterilize your grow room, and utensils for the next time as well.

13. ...so at what point do you just give up fighting botrytis and yank everything??

i found a couple slimy buds today after i thought i was gaining ground...

14. How do the leaves look? If they look fine maybe the rest of the plant won't notice it.

15. I'm having the same problem in my grow right now. I think its because it has been getting a lot colder in the room because of winter. I have never had this problem in the summer now that I think about it.

Anyways, I can not get rid of it completely. When should I just yank them and start a new grow? A lot of leaves are covered and I still have about 4-5 weeks left till I harvest.

16. Powdery is a nasty little spore and is very difficult to battle against.

With 4 weeks left your options are limited. I personally would recommend an aggressive spray with a Peroxide followed by a spray of Green-Light-Neem. Its unlikely that you will remove all of the PM, but you might be able to beat it back enough to at least come out with some B-Grade, rather than taking a total loss.

Next round start using a sulfur burner every other day through-out vege and then once in bloom use a foliar regime of Neem one day and Kelp the next.

17. I used SM-90 to get rid of the PM. You can find it at any hydro shop. You mix it with water at a 5-1 ratio in a liter spray bottle. Basically kills all PM on contact. Everyone month or 2 i will re-apply to keep it away. If you can keep up with it at least till about 3-4 weeks into flowering you should be fine. From what i hear once a plant/mother has PM it never goes away. So try getting fresh batch the next tim around or if you have mother plants either replace them or you will have to keep up with it.

18. wot is powdery mildew?? is it mould?